Bono, SNL, and sexual harassment...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homerpalooza

Acrobat
I don't think it was only myself who noticed that the woman Bono gave his little lap dance to didn't look particularly thrilled. That was a risky thing for him to do. Think about it: This woman has a clear-cut sexual harassment case there if she wanted to persue it. The evidence was broadcast live throughout the entire east coast; a man sat in her lap uninvited and thrust himself at her, and...perhaps her family saw it, or some coworkers, leaving her completely humiliated in their eyes and therefore causing "emotional damages" in her life. I see no reason why a judge would dismiss her case if she raised one.

Now don't get me wrong, I thought what Bono did was totally awesome and had me cheering (I mean, it's what Bono does), but in hindsight I really hope that woman has a sense of humor. She wasn't a screaming PLEBA member at a U2 concert who would kill for Bono to even look at herself, after all.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure to be in the SNL audience, you have to agree to certain terms. I'm sure one of those terms covers him somehow...

From the looks of it, Bono could file a countersuit in that case...

n407b

She wasn't traumatized....maybe a little shocked, not stricken though. :wink:

wow... U.S. is real a :censored: place if this kind of topic is created... please tell me, you have blood, drugs, violence, realy crazy reality shows... but if you show a "part of your body" or move like Bono did... there is this kind of issue in seconds, why?

Everyone sick of it, move to Europe;)

I was actually kind of shocked by Bono's antics. I mean I don't consider that to be part of Bono's 'theatrics canon' if you will. He dances with girls, kisses/faux bites their hands, lies on the floor with them...but I dunno about this one. I know Bono didn't mean anything by it, but it can't be excused if the girl felt awkward about it or didn't want it. It can't be excused simply because 'he's Bono' or 'because it's on national television.' I mean, his crotch was right in her face. It definitely seemed much lewder than what Bono's done in the past, which is what threw me off when I saw it. It was surreal, really. I just sat there with my jaw dropped thinking, "Bono, what on earth are you doing, man?"

And bathiu - you don't know what you're talking about. Yes, America may have a less liberal view of sex, but this is completely different. There is a big contrast between showing a consensual act of sex in a movie and a real life unwanted sexual advance.

We all know Bono didn't mean anything by it, and I'm sure he just got 'caught up in the moment,' but again, if the girl was upset by it, she could very well press charges, and win. It is not right for us to judge her, or say 'she should have felt fine about it.' In my opinion, if a person feels uncomfortable about something like that, whether the perpetrator is a celebrity or not, their feelings should be respected and dealt with. Hopefully nothing will come of the episode.

-Miggy

Miggy D said:
I was actually kind of shocked by Bono's antics. I mean I don't consider that to be part of Bono's 'theatrics canon' if you will. He dances with girls, kisses/faux bites their hands, lies on the floor with them...but I dunno about this one. I know Bono didn't mean anything by it, but it can't be excused if the girl felt awkward about it or didn't want it. It can't be excused simply because 'he's Bono' or 'because it's on national television.' I mean, his crotch was right in her face. It definitely seemed much lewder than what Bono's done in the past, which is what threw me off when I saw it. It was surreal, really. I just sat there with my jaw dropped thinking, "Bono, what on earth are you doing, man?"

And bathiu - you don't know what you're talking about. Yes, America may have a less liberal view of sex, but this is completely different. There is a big contrast between showing a consensual act of sex in a movie and a real life unwanted sexual advance.

We all know Bono didn't mean anything by it, and I'm sure he just got 'caught up in the moment,' but again, if the girl was upset by it, she could very well press charges, and win. It is not right for us to judge her, or say 'she should have felt fine about it.' In my opinion, if a person feels uncomfortable about something like that, whether the perpetrator is a celebrity or not, their feelings should be respected and dealt with. Hopefully nothing will come of the episode.

-Miggy

What the.. argh, get real! He just tried to show you guys how to enjoy a good Clinton Cigar, that's all!

I would say she enjoyed the whole thing and probably didn't believe it was happening. The circumstances were embracing, though. Well, the whole thing was, actually.

I don't know about her, but I know that I am facing emotional damages in these past few months since I started to notice different reactions on my body to Bono's behaviour. I don’t think I should have shared this with you but, now that’s it’s already written …

Sexual harrassment comes if the person said "no" and was disregarded. For example, if someone touched me or made a sexual comment or advance, and continued to do it even after I asked that person to stop, it would be harrassment.

In a one time event - like what Bono did - is a lot tougher to prove that there was actual harrassment. If a person can sue over a one time event, no one would ever hook up! LOL! :lol: We'd all be too afraid to approach someone for fear of a lawsuit. After all, one should be able to initiate "something" to see if there is any interest. It's repeated advances that cause the harrassment.

Compare to the analogy of a fly/bee buzzing around your head. The first time, you might shoo it away - no big deal. However, if it keeps buzzing, it's harrassing you.

Going back to Bono, I highly doubt he was "looking for something" but rather caught up in the moment of the song. He "entered her personal environmental space" but didn't make a suggestion or sexual advance (it's tough to prove "dry humping"). Furthermore, after that encounter, he moved on - it wasn't repeated.

As such, I can't see a harrassment lawsuit having any credibility.

Lastly, if arguably one of the most famous men, one of the most powerful men, and one of the biggest rock stars of the world does a mini-flirt with you, I think you'd be insane to sue, even if you aren't a fan. Would you sue Elvis or John Lennon if they had done something similar when they were alive? The hoardes of U2 fans would go after this woman with a vengeance if she sued. :mad: She'd gain so much negative publicity that even if she won, she'd be hated worldwide. She'd be viewed as a swindler trying to get some $$ from a wealthy person. And some things aren't worth money. :no:

Honestly I didn't care for what he did :| If that's "flirting", well I'm really confused as to what flirting is :wink: I'd much rather have a kiss on the hand or cheek, that's all I'd ever want. Or like the hug he gave Amy Poehler.

I'm not all worked up over it, it just bugged me a bit. I still love the guy :D

What is sad is when someone is all for it, then becomes mad at the person later and uses it to get them fired just to be mean (this happened to a guy I know) :down:

And Bono can lap dance with me anytime :drool:

*k_i_t_e_86* said:
Could you explain what exactly happened? I haven't seen it and it sounds quite interesting;)

At the closing of the show, the boys started to sing I Will Follow. After a few lines Bono walked off the stage into the audience and climbed into a girls lap, you can see in the pic the way he almost kneeled on her his crotch was practically in her face, she put her arms around him, threw her head back like she couldn't believe it. He was on her for several seconds.

All I could think was, he's gonna be in the doghouse with Ali tonight! :crazy:

Then again, I guess he's done some worse things rolling with women at concerts...

I just rewatched the IWF on SNL - trust me, that woman is NOT sueing!

She was loving every moment. The brief second she appeared to be under duress (where she made that awkward face) was when Bono walked away and she had to scoot herself back up in her chair. Otherwise, she had her face against his body and was hugging and smiling the entire time. :yes: And I would argue that most women in that position would do the same. ;)

bathiu, i tend to agree with you about our country having a stick up there butt as far as needing to lighten up. as far as i can see , i taped it and watched it back and the women had her arms around him . so to me that seems that she wasnt upset about it but stunned or shocked.

bonosloveslave said:

At the closing of the show, the boys started to sing I Will Follow. After a few lines Bono walked off the stage into the audience and climbed into a girls lap, you can see in the pic the way he almost kneeled on her his crotch was practically in her face, she put her arms around him, threw her head back like she couldn't believe it. He was on her for several seconds.

All I could think was, he's gonna be in the doghouse with Ali tonight! :crazy:

Then again, I guess he's done some worse things rolling with women at concerts...

Thanks for explanation. Not bad :D But, indeed, he did some 'worse' things during concerts;)

RickFly said:
bathiu, i tend to agree with you about our country having a stick up there butt as far as needing to lighten up. as far as i can see , i taped it and watched it back and the women had her arms around him . so to me that seems that she wasnt upset about it but stunned or shocked.

I agree with you. This is the state of the U.S., what's the first thing to come to someone's mind "ah lawsuit".

It is so sad.:|

There was not too much throwing back of the head. For most of the time Bono was on her lap, that woman most certainly had her head *buried* in places I am far to innocent to name :wink: :ohmy: ;)

That picture in the first page of this thread clearly shows she has her arms around him...I don't think she minded. :D

That said, I think Bono's done worse things than sitting in laps during the years on the tour. I remember reading he was making out on stage with girls on Zoo TV, and we can all remember the rolling around on the floor he did on the last tour.

Come on she was luvin it!! She was probably just a little shocked that bono was doing the snake dance right in front of her face!!
Too be honest i'm a bit jealous, if that was me, i'd have grabbed his arse!!:wink:

He can lapdance on me...no charge:drool: I think she enjoyd every second....:drool: :drool:

Back
Top Bottom