Bono sneezing and coughing live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AussieU2fanman

Refugee
I was thinking if Bono has ever sneezed or coughed when he was singing live at a concert. For example, 'I want to reach out and touch the flame....Where the......ACHOO!!!! has no name...'
Would be pretty damn embarassing I'd imagine. :wink:
Can anyone remember him doing this?

During the Irving Plaza gig in December 2000 Bono was constantly clearing his throat between songs. He'd be speaking and ahem-ing a lot but never during the actual song. He makes sure to move the mic away from his mouth during oral seizures as far as I can recall.

david said:
I wonder what would happen if during a long version of Bad, Larry had to PEEE really badly.

I'd be thinking the bass drum rhythm would be going a lot faster that's for sure!

AussieU2fanman said:
I was thinking if Bono has ever sneezed or coughed when he was singing live at a concert. For example, 'I want to reach out and touch the flame....Where the......ACHOO!!!! has no name...'
Would be pretty damn embarassing I'd imagine. :wink:
Can anyone remember him doing this?

Actually, during HMTMKMKM on popmart he coughed on purpose in the start of the song - just before the guitar hits in. So I was thinking of that when i read the title for this post.

But it would been embarassing, yeah... and then he would run offstage, and the band would keep playing.

Cutters10C said:
I want to hear it!

Well...ok. I went to a concert last tour and during the end of the opening song his pants had a wee malfunction--nothing horrifically naughty but at the end of the song he had to fix it saying, 'My pants were coming undone....'scuse me....girls".

Us girls were very gracious about it.

:wink:

BTW, I agree about the changing back to MacPhisto bit on HMTMKMKM....'cause you notice after his voice and mannerisms are different.

his voice in the sarejevo popmart was really rough - i blieve he had a cold and actually apologised for it at the end. he cleared his throat adn coughed every now and then but not during a song as far as i know. i'll have anotehr listen though

digsy said:
his voice in the sarejevo popmart was really rough - i blieve he had a cold and actually apologised for it at the end. he cleared his throat adn coughed every now and then but not during a song as far as i know. i'll have anotehr listen though

i don't know if that was a bad cold or the effects of his smoking. :sad:

the character of two-face in the batman movie used to cough, and bono is macphisto in the music video so bono is becoming two-face/macphisto

Well, Stars..

I DO have a naughty story.

I didn't witness this firsthand but my friends Melissa did. Well, actually she was a Propaganda penpal, in the days before I was on the Net.

*takes deep breath*

This was on the Popmart tour, at either the Wash DC or the Philly show, I forget which. It was during--of all songs--Pride!

:ohmy:

M. was doing the "Oh ohs" with everyone else when she happened to notice a strange thing. I'll let her tell it in her own words, as they became indelibly etched in my brain: "All of a sudden, I noticed a strange bump..(shows where my mind was I think!)...I started to giggle but Beth (her apparently more innocent younger friend) started wide-eyed at the happenings. Bono moved back and kinda put his hands over that area..."

I swear this is true. I wouldn't tell it one here if I hadn't read it with my own eyes.:macdevil:

Last edited:
kennerado said:
I always thought that coughing before HMTMKMKM was him turning back into MacPhisto.

Yeah, I always thought that, and his movements as well, it's kind of an exorcism, MacPhisto working his way back out....

I agree about the MacPhisto thing during the Mexico Popmart. I'm still amused by him starting the song with FUUUCCKKKK THISSSSS as The Edge ripped into his guitar.

Stars: the little malfunction just had to happen in your presence, huh? Talk about mind over matter. If Bono only knew! :)

Back
Top Bottom