bono singing red hill mining town - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2005, 10:28 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 04:59 PM
bono singing red hill mining town

this was supposed to be the lead off single (or maybe the 2nd), but i heard that the plan was scrapped cuz bono wouldn't be able to sing it everynight. so apparently its hard to sing. yet, when i listen to it, i can't figure out what part bono wouldn't have been able to nail everynight. it sounds easy to sing compared to without You. can anyone help explain?

Old 05-12-2005, 11:22 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:59 AM
Actually the chorus is pretty difficult. I can see where the "hanging and I'm still waiting" part is hard for Bono's type of voice.

Plus they were pretty embarassed by the video.

Old 05-12-2005, 11:23 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:59 AM
Red Hill Mining Town is higher and more shouted than With Or Without You on the chorus.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:48 PM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by the tourist
Red Hill Mining Town is higher and more shouted than With Or Without You on the chorus.
Technically shouted isn't the right word. You should never shout a song. But I know what you are talking about.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:47 AM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 05:59 PM
"I'm hanging on,
You're all that's left to hold on to"

Try and sing that
Old 05-13-2005, 12:47 AM   #6
New Yorker

"With or Without You" is pretty chill until the end, but the "Red Hill Mining Town" chorus makes it rough the whole way.

It was supposed to be the second single, I think, instead of "I Still Haven't Found...", which is a better song anyway, so it worked out okay.

I wonder, though, if it had been released as a single, would it have been one of their bigger songs? Would we regard it as a classic instead of a forgotten gem? "Man, that Bono can't sing 'Red Hill Mining Town' anymore. He always forgets the fucking words too. They should retire it and play 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For' or something else rare."
Old 05-13-2005, 09:39 AM   #7
The Fly

Local Time: 03:59 PM
I remember reading at the time, in all the pre-release hype, that 'Red' was supposed to be first--then it just disappeared completely--never released as far as I know. Always wondered how it went from first to gone. I think the "Love, slowly stripped away...." would be hard to nail consistently, but he could do it. Or maybe could've. Who knows? Seems like they never even tried.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:47 AM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 11:59 AM
Is there a floating video of Red Hill around? Or was it one of those things that they keep in the confines of a vault guarded by dobermans and snipers?
Old 05-13-2005, 10:26 AM   #9
The Fly

I'm looking at the sheet music and those notes in the chorus are high!

"...hangin' on, you're all that's left to hold..."

The 'hang' is b two above middle c (virtually two octaves higher than middle c) and the lowest note in 'hangin' on' is only a tone lower, g. Then 'all' is higher still, being c two octaves higher than middle c. Virtually the whole chorus is higher than the f above middle f.

Those are some hellish hard notes to hit, particularly singing live.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:48 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

It's a shame it's never even seen the light of day - even at a concert. I would take Red Hill live over Acrobat anyday.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:52 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Didn't they even rehearse it at the start of JT tour? And because Bono couldn't sing it they didn't use it as a single?

I think the "hanging on" chorus would probably be too much, even for Bono. (and in fact it was!) The ending is also very high I think.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:16 AM   #12
The Fly

Yeah the endings fairly high too. The whole song is really.

I reckon Bono must have struggled with it, even in the studio.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:43 AM   #13
War Child

and you can't really drop Red Hill a few steps lower like they've done with Still Haven't Found because the singing needs that "oomph" behind it that isn't needed with Still... it NEEDS to be sung high
Old 05-13-2005, 02:17 PM   #14
Refugee

Still, they could have done it a few times? Imo it's the second best song on Joshua tree and I guess U2 thought the same
If you listen to the boot from the first joshua tree show, bono's voice is cracked from rehearsal singing in the dry desert air.. perhaps aswell from trying to sing Red Hill?
Old 05-13-2005, 02:48 PM   #15
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by korczykp
and you can't really drop Red Hill a few steps lower like they've done with Still Haven't Found because the singing needs that "oomph" behind it that isn't needed with Still... it NEEDS to be sung high
I know what you mean - it's kinda like it being sung at that pitch gives the song the power it should have and needs.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:06 PM   #16
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by mtoreilly

I know what you mean - it's kinda like it being sung at that pitch gives the song the power it should have and needs.

I agree

That pitch is what makes the song powerful and alive.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:08 PM   #17
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:59 AM
Re: facts on RHMT live. On 28 November 1987 in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, the band EXTENSIVELY soundchecked Red Hill Mining Town. It was the only Joshua Tree song they hadn't done on the tour and it seems they wanted to bring it out. Larry fully re-learnt the drums and the whole band ran through the song, but despite the repeated practise, it somehow didn't make that night's setlist and never appeared in any other show. I don't even know of any instances of it being snippeted.

Dream Theatre have played it live, though!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-13-2005, 04:20 PM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 11:59 AM
There's really never been any mystery as to why 'Red Hill' didn't make the live cut. Bono was quoted in various articles in 1987 stating that his voice couldn't handle the song on a regular basis. He said it was too high for his voice. Remember, he didn't hit those high notes in a technically correct way back then. This song on a nightly basis would've destroyed his voice for that tour.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:37 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

but. . . Bono struggled through Unforgettable Fire throughout the entire JT tour, rarely being able to hit the "Stay, this time, stay tonight. . . ."

They should have tried RHMT! I haven't heard the song in a while, and just reading the lyrics again gives me the chills. . . what a great song!
Old 05-13-2005, 07:41 PM   #20
Refugee

Too bad the band will never play it live. Forget Acrobat - this is the greatest song the band has never performed in concert before.