bono should quit smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by Mulholland Drive:
I think it distresses the fans because of how the smoking affects his voice (and his health). Listening to some of the boots from the last tour (mainly the third leg), his voice has suffered some serious degradation. At 42 years of age, he should not have gone downhill as he has. Yep, I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but this is honestly the way I feel. It's kind of sad listening to him sing sometimes now.

Bono agrees with you, but he's having trouble quitting. Here's an excerpt from a fairly recent interview.

-------------------------------

Matter of Life and Death
Hot Press Annual 2002, December 01, 2001

Are you still smoking?

No. Recently on a fairly big night, I found my hand wandering into somebody's bag whilst I was talking. I had no idea that my hand was going into somebody else's bag (laughs). And, with some dexterity, taking a cigarette out.

You should have taken money while you were at it.

I was amazed, and lighting the cigarette, before I knew. But you know about that old story: smoking may damage health but your children will kill you.

Are you aware that you're giving a bad example?

It's dumb to smoke, and it really changed my voice, and I lost the high register, and I lost the ability to fly as a singer. I had a lot of complications with my voice anyway. The doctor told me I couldn't smoke.

No doubt smoking has hurt his voice - however, as evidenced by the Grammy performance, Bono can still belt out the tunes. Bono's voice that night was the best I've heard in a while.

If he truly gave up smoking and actually took care of his vocals, he could probably return to his former self.

That said, he will soon be 42. At 42, he's not going to "get away" with the screaming he did at 24. People complain about the boots from this recent tour. The boots from this tour are FAR FAR better than they were with PopMart - showing that already Bono's voice is returning. However, if you listen to some songs from '84/'85, you'll see that Bono is really screaming, not singing.

I'd much rather have a Bono that sings, even if he doesn't always hit that high note (and from all the concerts I saw this tour, he DID hit those high notes, so I have no complaints) than one that screams.

Originally posted by doctorwho:
No doubt smoking has hurt his voice - however, as evidenced by the Grammy performance, Bono can still belt out the tunes. Bono's voice that night was the best I've heard in a while.

If he truly gave up smoking and actually took care of his vocals, he could probably return to his former self.

That said, he will soon be 42. At 42, he's not going to "get away" with the screaming he did at 24. People complain about the boots from this recent tour. The boots from this tour are FAR FAR better than they were with PopMart - showing that already Bono's voice is returning. However, if you listen to some songs from '84/'85, you'll see that Bono is really screaming, not singing.

I'd much rather have a Bono that sings, even if he doesn't always hit that high note (and from all the concerts I saw this tour, he DID hit those high notes, so I have no complaints) than one that screams.

Actually, I think he sounded much better on PopMart. That being said, I also saw him on the Elevation Tour and he sounded even better. To top it off, he did sound much better than average at the Grammys. Yes, if he stops smoking and drinking and rests his voice, and gives it time to at least try to heal, it will sure work in his favor. He sounds fine on the boots from the first two legs (for the most part), it's the later shows, near the end of the tour where I personally think he sounds pretty bad. Don't get me wrong, I'm no Bono-hater, I like the guy as much as anyone, but these are just the facts as I see them.

And we have pictures!
wink.gif

LOL

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

I'm sure he's old enough to deside for himself and personally the fact that he smokes doesn't bother me apart from the fact that is it a known health risk and killer and I don't want any harm to come of him. But it is all up to him

I thought you may want to know that it takes over 5 years for the throat and oesophagas to repair itself after a person stops smoking, and between 12 and 15 years for the lungs to repair themselves....even still they will never repair themselves fully. So if Bono does stop smoking he will always find that he's still slightly out of breath compared to what he was like in the LOVETOWN and ZOO TV tours.

Anyway, you probably don't care, but anyway......
Bless ya.
WHYWHY

Back
Top Bottom