Bono´s words at the end of "Miss Sarayevo" with Pavarotti (???)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cristivox

The Fly
Does anybody know/understand what Bono says when he finishes singing "Miss Sarayevo" with Pavarotti and goes to the frtont of the stage, looking to the cameras ? (See video on Youtube). It´s not in english... is it spanish?

I'd say it's Italian, I know what part you mean, but I'd have to listen to it again. But I'm sure it's Italian, what else would make sense. Bono's Italian is quite good.

"O lijepa, o draga, o slatka slobodo"

It's on Croatian, those are the words of one of the most famous writers in Croatian history - Ivan Gundulic (a 17th century baroque poet from Dubrovnik). These words mean "Oh beautiful, oh beloved, oh sweet liberty" and are featured in Gundulic's play Dubravka. The verse is considered to be the unofficial motto of Dubrovnik.

More here if anybody is interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Gundulic

Oh, and it is spelled Sarajevo, not Sarayevo.

Last edited:
WOW.... I´m really very thankful for your information and for sharing your knowledge with us. That´s why I couldn´t understand even a single word said by him. Interference is not only for having fun but to learn new things too.
Thanks a lot !
:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

djerdap said:
"O lijepa, o draga, o slatka slobodo"

It's on Croatian, those are the words of one of the most famous writers in Croatian history - Ivan Gundulic (a 17th century baroque poet from Dubrovnik). These words mean "Oh beautiful, oh beloved, oh sweet liberty" and are featured in Gundulic's play Dubravka. The verse is considered to be the unofficial motto of Dubrovnik.

More here if anybody is interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Gundulic

Oh, and it is spelled Sarajevo, not Sarayevo.

Oh, wow, I didn't know that, thanks a lot! When I got back to listen to it yesterday, I heard that it wasn't Italian, but some language I could not understand. Thank you for clearing this up! :up:

Back
Top Bottom