Bono refused bad guy part in Batman Forever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, it is true, they were thinking of giving him a small part as like, the Riddler's sidekick, kind of a McPhisto-like character. I believe all involved decided against it.

(I read this information around the time the movie came out, 1995, I think in Entertainment Weekly.)

So, uh, does this mean he was the bad guy who walked out? :reject:

I would've loved to see him as MacPhisto in that movie

it would've atleast made it more watchable, but it was tolerable for me

Don't even start a conversation about Batman & Robin with me, and the BATNIPPLE COSTUME!

Lemonfix said:
Yes, it is true, they were thinking of giving him a small part as like, the Riddler's sidekick, kind of a McPhisto-like character. I believe all involved decided against it.

(I read this information around the time the movie came out, 1995, I think in Entertainment Weekly.)

So, uh, does this mean he was the bad guy who walked out? :reject:
LOL... he had a starring role!

Jack In The Box said:
that's god he did not accept, that movie is awful
Yeah, it's bad enough they gave it "Hold Me, Blah, Blah" instead of saving that for an album.

Forever was tolerable, but Joel Schumacher was intent on making the Batman movies he directed geared towards kids and family.

Batman and Robin was the worst movie ever made.

Batman Begins was so good. Better than the ones Tim Burton made.

It's extremely good he didn't take it. It totally would have cheapened the socio-political message that MacPhisto represented. It would've just seemed like a stupid attention-grabbing stunt.

david said:
Batman Begins was so good. Better than the ones Tim Burton made.

Agreed.

Burton's Batmans are overrated. His first one is pretty good; his second pretty bad.

Batman Begins, in my opinion, is the best superhero movie to come out. Ever.

While one could argue Batman Returns isn't a very good Batman movie, it is a great movie overall, if that makes any sense. It's like a morbid fairytale that just so happens to feature the dark knight. I love the tribute to German Expressionism, and how every character is in some way a dark, perverted mirror of the various fragments of Bruce Wayne's shattered mind. Keaton was fantastic, giving the character the right amount of melancholy and menace.

However, Batman Begins is a modern masterpiece in my eyes; it's a film that transcends it's genre and says a lot about the world we live in today, in regards to terrorism and fear tactics.

I won't mention the others - they never happened.

Found this Schumacher quote regarding Bono's involvement in Nipples Forever, uh, I mean Batman Forver.

‘I met with Bono while I was putting together Batman Forever. He’s an enormous fan of the Tim Burton/Michael Keaton Batman films and we talked for a long time about him appearing in mine. But we had Jim Carrey playing The Riddler and Tommy Lee Jones as Harvey Two-Face and sadly there really wasn’t enough room for another baddie. He understood my reasoning and then he wrote that fabulous song for us which was wonderful.’

the tourist said:

Agreed.

Burton's Batmans are overrated. His first one is pretty good; his second pretty bad.

Batman Begins, in my opinion, is the best superhero movie to come out. Ever.

The problem with Burton's versions were that he took too many liberties with the Batman storyline. For instance changing the killer of Bruce Wayne's parents to Joker just to fit in with the first movie storyline.

It's odd that Bono sounded like he was interested in getting into some acting, but other than playing himself in that movie, Entropy, he hasn't done any of that--he probably has too much going on with family, charity, and music.

Oh and didn't Larry want to be an actor, too?

I think it would have been a waste of Mr Macphisto to put him in the movie. Then people wouldn't get the whole premise of him being in ZOO TV. :huh:

Yeah, how would've they had him in there?

as a cameo or something?

playing in the band in the scene where Bruce goes into the Mindreading machine thingy?

I mean really, MacPhisto would've made that movie 10 times more watchable

Back
Top Bottom