Bono, Pope Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
didn't they actually give it to Yasser Arrafat one year? I mean the dicotomy from Mother Theresa to Yasser Arrafat. Did Jimmy Carter ever get it? He does good work as well.

financeguy said:
Eh...I thought Bono was the Pope? Guess I got confused.:wink:

Yep, you are confused. Bono's not the Pope, he's God, don't ya know! ;)

BostonAnne said:
I think he was nominated the past couple of years. He'll win it eventually. :)

I didn't know he'd already been nominated. Maybe he'll get it when it's a "slow" year. :wink:

indra said:

Yep, you are confused. Bono's not the Pope, he's God, don't ya know! ;)

Pope, God, Messiah, Irish Jesus ... you name it, if it's holy, Bono's it!

I think Larry should be up for it this year after his splendid peace-making efforts across two forms of media.

I mean this in the most respectful way possible: Bono, I hope you kick the Pope's ass.

i think bono deserves and not just on a slow year. ok, i mean this as respectfully as possible, but what the hell has the pope done this year to deserve the award. he's been sick. i mean, that sucks to be sick, and certainly it's hardly his fault, but if one is sick they can hardly do enough to deserve such a prestigious award.

Has the Pope been nominated before? I think this is Bono's 3rd nomination, maybe 4th.
Yes, I think it does get narrowed down to a 'short' list before the vote.

Did anyone else continue on to the second page of the article, where it mentions that the Pope is thought unlikely to ever win because the Nobel committee dislikes his stance on birth control? Hmmm. I wonder what Arafat's stance on THAT was...

While it would of course be wonderful if Bono (or most any of the Big Names cited in the article) won, I really think Wangari Maathai ('04) and Shirin Ebadi ('03) represent the sort of individual the Prize should ideally go to: international unknowns who have quietly, bravely and selflessly devoted their entire lives to the often-thankless task of making their world (or even just their country) a place where freedom, justice and compassion can flourish. There are so many unsung and unrecognized heroes around the world who have done just that--far too many of them languishing in prisons, sadly.

Bono, the Pope, Shankar and Yuschenko have all done great work for peace, no question about it. But ultimately, these men are known to us for things that have nothing to do with peace work, and have devoted most of their lives to causes other than peace. Havel may be in a somewhat different category here, but the fact that he turned a blind eye to the persecution of Roma (gypsies) during his time in power ought to make the Nobel committee at least think twice about his appropriateness.

And BTW--if they're going to nominate Bono for his work in Africa, what about Bob Geldof? He's the one who got Bono involved in the first place, and he himself has truly devoted his ENTIRE life to relief work in Africa since Live Aid.

The pope doesn't deserve it. I'm not saying Bono should get it (although I hope he will, but that's another story), but I don't think the pope deserves it.

Back
Top Bottom