Bono Pissed at the G8 Summit Signers.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Methinks this is not the best title for this thread in hind-sight...

I would have titled it "Bono angry at G8 Summit Signers"

all I can see now is Bono urinating at people and that is not good :tsk:

Last edited:
http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSN0526853020070607?feedType=RSS&rpc=22

Meet Bono? I'm not interested, says Canada's PM
Thu Jun 7, 2007 6:04PM EDT

Meet Bono? I'm not interested, says Canada's PM

You can stop staring hopefully at that phone, Bono. Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper will not be calling.

The Irish rock star turned poverty activist met U.S. President George W. Bush and German Chancellor Angela Merkel on the sidelines of a Group of Eight summit but was told Harper was too busy to talk to him.

Harper, a somewhat wooden figure regularly mocked for his lack of flair, told reporters on Thursday that meeting Bono was not a priority.

"I've got to say that meeting celebrities isn't kind of my shtick, that was the shtick of the previous guy," said Harper in a dig at his Liberal predecessor Paul Martin, who met Bono regularly.

"I hope we do it at some point but my principle focus in public policies is not kind of to meet celebrities," added the prime minister, a Conservative.

Activists say Canada is trying to block a deal to ensure that western nations live up to promises to boost aid to Africa.

For the record, though, Harper said he liked the music of Bono's band U2.

Good! I agree with Mr. Harper. The most important thing about Bono is the music, not the lobbying.

He already has a HUGE ego. It's okay if once in a while somebody shows no interest in meeting him. Keeps him in check!

Zootlesque said:
He already has a HUGE ego. It's okay if once in a while somebody shows no interest in meeting him. Keeps him in check!

but the starving children of Africa ???:tsk:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
yeah, let people die because i want new songs to bitch about...

:happy: ofcourse! what else would we speak about here if Bono was saving the world instead of making songs?

:rolleyes: he could at least give him a chance...

Galeongirl said:

:happy: ofcourse! what else would we speak about here if Bono was saving the world instead of making songs?

:rolleyes: he could at least give him a chance...

About how saving lives is selling out...

Just for the record, I'm not saying anything about selling out. It's just refreshing to see somebody not show ANY interest in Bono when everywhere people are fawning over him like he is some God. Sure, he is trying to do his best for a great cause but he is only human!

As for the bitching about the music, if he wasn't so involved in politics, the mediocre music, bad production and delayed release dates won't be such an issue! And then there would be no bitching. :happy:

Zootlesque said:
Just for the record, I'm not saying anything about selling out. It's just refreshing to see somebody not show ANY interest in Bono when everywhere people are fawning over him like he is some God. Sure, he is trying to do his best for a great cause but he is only human!

:huh: Who's fawning? And why would you give praise to someone who wants to ignore the problem and not do anything about Africa? Harper's a twat.

Zootlesque said:

As for the bitching about the music, if he wasn't so involved in politics, the mediocre music, bad production and delayed release dates won't be such an issue! And then there would be no bitching. :happy:

Keep telling yourself that...

Zootlesque said:

I think he didn't meet with him for political reasons - he didn't want some embarassing quote from Bono published about him not living up to promises or something.

Harper may be a twat. I don't know anything about him so I won't comment. I just found it refreshing that somebody was ignoring Bono. :shrug:

Zootlesque said:
Harper may be a twat. I don't know anything about him so I won't comment. I just found it refreshing that somebody was ignoring Bono. :shrug:

But why? Why is that refreshing? Basically you are saying I'm glad someone doesn't want to help the problem.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
But why? Why is that refreshing? Basically you are saying I'm glad someone doesn't want to help the problem.

It's refreshing because Bono has too much built up ego from everybody praising him to the heavens over the years! :p

During that 60 minutes special when asked about how they would compete with new and upcoming bands or something, he was like "Line 'em up!!!" I cringed at his laugh and the arrogant expression on his face!

Zootlesque said:

It's refreshing because Bono has too much built up ego from everybody praising him to the heavens over the years! :p

During that 60 minutes special when asked about how they would compete with new and upcoming bands or something, he was like "Line 'em up!!!" I cringed at his laugh and the arrogant expression on his face!

Bono has ALWAYS had an ego, in fact today I don't think it's nearly as big as it was in the 90's.

I just think you are allowing your personal issues with Bono affect your thinking on this issue. Even Henry Rollins drops his hate for Bono when it comes to this issue.

Zootlesque said:

oh for god's sake, he was JOKING!

seriously, yes Bono has an ego, but you can exaggerate y'know... I don't think Bono gets this ego by doing his politics stuff, that ego is from the music part.... and that this guy won't meet him just shows that he's afraid of what Bono, and the people who stand behind him, can do to him and his reputation!

Zootlesque said:
He comes off to me way more egotistic now than in the 90s or ever before!

Well you once said you thought Popmart was humble, so I can't really take your judgement of ego too seriously.

you know it is possible to not talk to Bono and still help Africa

Back
Top Bottom