Bono on O'Reilly Factor? - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2004, 08:00 PM   #106
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:52 PM
o'reilly said tonight in his viewer e-mail section that he got so many e-mails about the bono interview that his e-mail server crashed

and martha really... from bill o'reilly to chris matthews to david letterman... what talk show host, short of oprah, lets their guests finish their sentances? yes... o'reilly interrupts. who doesn't?

Old 09-02-2004, 08:02 PM   #107
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
o'reilly said tonight in his viewer e-mail section that he got so many e-mails about the bono interview that his e-mail server crashed
Cool.

Did he read any e-mails about Bono?

Old 09-02-2004, 08:05 PM   #108
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBrazilianFly

Cool.

Did he read any e-mails about Bono?
they were baisicly all about bono...

my favorite...

"bono used to be the only member of u2 who doesn't play an instrument. not anymore. last night he played you, bill, like a fiddle."
Old 09-02-2004, 08:17 PM   #109
War Child

Local Time: 08:52 PM
I have to admit that all I know about this O'Reilly has come from this interview. I also have to admit I could only read the foxnews.com transcript of the interview as it was not shown over here, and that I haven't really had the chance to look over this thread and see others' comments. But, having said all that, in my humble opinion Bill O'Reilly did manage to talk a whole load of shit during that interview. I'm not going to analyze the whole interview or anything (sighs of relief), but here's a couple of choice morsels of what he said:

"We liberated Iraq from a terrible dictator, Saddam Hussein. And the polls show that most Iraqis don't appreciate America's sacrifice in doing that."

Oh, how heroic! One teensy problem with this - If I remember rightly, the whole world was assured repeatedly by the USA (and Britain, lest we forget) that the reason we were going to war with Iraq was the mistaken assumption that Iraq had the ability to start spewing missiles at everyone within 45 minutes, although the country was of course doomed from the moment the twin towers came down. 'Regime Change' was a phrase that only started turning up in speeches by Rumsfeld and co. as the WMD evaporated.
Also, correct me if i'm wrong but I don't recall any polls being carried out by eager officials ringing on Iraqi doorbells and asking them if they'd be so kind as to help them with their statistics by telling us if you appreciate our sacrifice in liberating you from oppression? I'm sure the vast majority of ordinary Iraqis would hugely appreciate the removal of Saddam, who has ordered some of the worst atrocities in living memory, but I can't think of anyone except perhaps the looters of Iraqi shops and hospitals who would appreciate the chaos and disorder that the country is instead suffering at the moment thanks to those heroic 'liberating' armies. And if you're going to use polls as an argument, I don't suppose anyone thought to poll those same Iraqis beforehand either to ask whether they in fact wanted this liberation...?

Or how about:

BONO: ...But they're not talking. It's not on the news. It's not on the agenda here. It's the greatest health crisis in 600 years but it's not on the news.

O'REILLY: But it's not their fault when you've got the war on terror so intense and so -- look, if 9/11 didn't happen, you would have a much easier time with your crusade.

Yes, cause I remember before 9/11 the news was stuffed chock full of stories about the AIDS epidemic, news agencies were clambering over each other to highlight the problems of this plague. Or were they just showing the same mindless crap about celebrity weddings and so on when there was no more exciting attention-grabbing news like a loose serial killer to splash over their front pages and news bulletins, and practically forgetting all about the problem, just like now? I think that was it, actually.

And just in case you're interested, here's a link to another shining piece of work from Mr O'Reilly, which I found through a direct link in a big red text box above the transcript under the tagline "Here's a bulletin for you Bush haters ..."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,131259,00.html
Old 09-02-2004, 08:18 PM   #110
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:52 PM
Quote:

my favorite...

"bono used to be the only member of u2 who doesn't play an instrument. not anymore. last night he played you, bill, like a fiddle."
oh God. That is TERRIBLE. Could it be more obvious that one of BO's producers wrote that for airing.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:20 PM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

my favorite...

Old 09-02-2004, 08:44 PM   #112
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

That one gave me a laugh.

There was another letter where someone called Bono a "compassionate conservative" Clearly, that person doesn't know anything about Bono.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:54 PM   #113
She's the One

Local Time: 01:52 PM
Quote:

and martha really... from bill o'reilly to chris matthews to david letterman... what talk show host, short of oprah, lets their guests finish their sentances? yes... o'reilly interrupts. who doesn't?
I don't know who Chris Matthews is, and David Letterman's on too late for me (I'll wait while you make fun of me for being too damn old), but it's still rude. I also didn't like the way BO made fun of Live Aid. I did appreciate Bono's impatient response to BO's inane comments about Live Aid.

Bono kicked Bill's ass.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:46 PM   #114
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Pearl
That one gave me a laugh.

There was another letter where someone called Bono a "compassionate conservative" Clearly, that person doesn't know anything about Bono.
That's one neat thing about Bono being on that show. Exposure to a huge Republican audience. I had the TV set tuned to Fox for about an hour before Bono's interview. The official nomination of Bush was going on RIGHT before the interview. Bush was actually supposed to do a live telecast into the convention at that time (but it didn't pan out). O'Reilly's guest before Bono was former New York mayor Rudy Guiliani. Vice President Cheney was scheduled to speak later that evening.

What I'm getting at is that it was probably the best opportunity that Bono was going to get to get his message out to as many Republicans as possible. It would have been better to get on when Bush was actually there, but still, it was good timing. Bill O'Reilly's show is watched by millions of people, and I am sure more were 'tuning in' because of the RNC.

Great job for Bono just to be there. Yeah, it is hilarious to think of Bono as a 'compassionate conservative', but folks have been trying to pigeonhole him for years without much success. What's one more label? It gives people who are strongly conservative a reference they can understand.

Did no one besides me notice how O'Reilly mangled 'Geldof?' }: )~

Edit: Yeah, I just had to go to one of the other many threads on this interview.. thought I was hearing things!

goat
Old 09-03-2004, 01:40 AM   #115
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I think that is totally incredible!! Bono was so right when he said that Americans DO care passionatley about this emergency--as if we doubted Maybe this will make Big Pharma and Capitol Hill wake up and get off their duffs and tackle this little virus that has them running!
Old 09-03-2004, 01:46 AM   #116
Blue Crack Addict

On second thought....we don't we send emails to ol' Bill ourselves and tell him what we think (respectfully of course), but let's tell him this is something that we want to see on the news and this is something that is important to us. U2 fans unite! speakout@foxnews.com & oreilly@foxnews.com is the email addresses
Old 09-03-2004, 03:50 PM   #117
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue
On second thought....why don't we send emails to ol' Bill ourselves and tell him what we think (respectfully of course), but let's tell him this is something that we want to see on the news and this is something that is important to us. U2 fans unite! speakout@foxnews.com & oreilly@foxnews.com is the email addresses

Come on peeps!! "We can be as one tonight!" Let's do it! They're currently running a poll on the Fox website about the interview...speak up!
Old 09-03-2004, 07:29 PM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

Come on peeps!! "We can be as one tonight!" Let's do it! They're currently running a poll on the Fox website about the interview...speak up!
I will send an e-mail to O'Reilly. I'm a lazy bastard so show me a link to the poll and I'll vote.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:00 PM   #119
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBrazilianFly

I will send an e-mail to O'Reilly. I'm a lazy bastard so show me a link to the poll and I'll vote.
God bless you, you lazy bastard! (lol, sorry I had to do it )
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,77925,00.html <--for the poll and www.speakout@foxnews.com or oreilly@foxnews.com for the email!

You made my night!!!
Old 09-03-2004, 08:34 PM   #120
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

You made my night!!!
Cool.

I voted (by the way I donít think itís looking good for Bono there ) and sent an e-mail, I know it won't be read, at least on the air, but I kinda liked it. Here's what I wrote: That interview with Bono was great!!! He gave some great answers; he truly knows what he is talking about. Bono answered every question with a great amount of knowledge and understanding about the subject. I also found his personal opinions really interesting and smart. His passion for the AIDS emergency, as he put it, is contagious and sincere, it truly comes from the heart and I hope America listen to what he is saying and don't ignore it. When a rock star has to put a suit on you know something is seriously wrong. That one is a man to follow. I will.

Cheesy but from the heart. Can you tell I'm a fan?