Bono on Listed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ALass4Larry said:
Call me an old fart..(hey, I'm only 42) but I have to say Jim Morrison and John Lennon should be there, too.

I agree with Morrison, he pretty much was the Doors in terms of a face the public could see.

Lennon is a little more of a grey area. Lennon is my favourite Beatle but he and McCartney pretty much split the "front man-ship" down the middle IMO.

ALass4Larry said:
Call me an old fart..(hey, I'm only 42) but I have to say Jim Morrison and John Lennon should be there, too.

Actually, Morrison is probably a "weak" front man due to the fact that he often turned his back to the stage in concert, especially in the early years. From that "shy" extreme, he then made a 180, showing his privates. While the latter may have worked for some in the late 60's, overall, his performances weren't all that great.

Lennon was fine in concert, but I can think of 3 reasons not to put him on this list, based on his work with The Beatles. First, he shared the lead singer duties, mostly with McCartney, but others as well. Second, The Beatles stopped touring fairly early in their careers. Third, compared to the people on the list, he wasn't spectacular, that is, he didn't draw you in or stand out.

Mercury and Jagger stand (stood) out. Bono draws people in. This may be one reason he's third instead of second or even first. But had Bono's entire career been more like his ZOO TV days, maybe he would have bumped to first. That said, this is a frivolous poll. And I'd rather have Bono drawing us in that standing out any day. It makes him, U2 and the music far more meaningful than some flashy showbiz struts or clothing.

Back
Top Bottom