Bono on CNN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

follower

Refugee
There is an interview with Bono on the issues of Drop The Debt campaign and why he has lent his voice to the World Health Organization here:
http://europe.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/01/01/bono.debt/index.html

It's worth reading.

There is also this quick vote:
"Should rock stars get involved in politics?"
The answers so far are:

Yes - 36% and No - 64%.

I think we could do something about it, we all know how much he cares about these causes. I voted yes.

Good idea follower! I too, voted Yes. It should not even have to come to this-a rock n' roller getting involved! It would be great and more things would be accomplished if more people just got involved! I guess it's hard to care about others debts when you are indebt yourself 'eh? Peace...

Wow, clean shaved, good hair, looks rested with a suit & tie on. Is this 2002 Bono?

Originally posted by Klodomir:
And is he growing a mullet?

Possibly an updated version, but damn, I think he looks hot, so if this is a mullet, BRING BACK THE MULLET!!

Thank you Maria for the interview. As far as rock musicians getting involved with politics, I don't know if I'm all for that. There are some rock stars that tend to do it for personal gain, you can hear it in their voices, see in on their faces...but with Bono, you see in him a man who is passionate about what he is doing with Drop the Debt, and Jubilee 2000, and others, including politicians, are seeing his sincerity to lend his voice to this cause, and they are taking serious notice to this issue. Some persons tend to be sincere and articule to be able to stand on the world's stage and address political issues that are almost beyond politics, but deal with the giving of people their dignity. Bono is one of those persons, who just happens to also be in a rock and roll band.

Chris

[This message has been edited by spanisheyes (edited 01-02-2002).]

wow- that's about all i could think of when i read the current results (67% voted no) EVERYONE should be more involved. everyone should be more informed. everyone should be more vocal about their positions on issues. and no one should be made to feel that they don't have the right to participate in the process for any reason. peace, lynn

61% voted no, i voted yes.

I'm always for the celebrities helping out a good cause.

------------------
"We feel like this is unfinished business - there's things for us left to do and that's why we still do it." - Larry

"For us, each night on stage has to be like the last night on earth. That's the way our band operates-we can't play the songs unless we're fully into them." - Bono

"The music itself will tell you where to go." - Edge (about recording)

"It's an elevation thing." - Adam (when asked why there's pictures from airport on ATYCLB cover)

Originally posted by spanisheyes:
Some persons tend to be sincere and articule to be able to stand on the world's stage and address political issues that are almost beyond politics, but deal with the giving of people their dignity. Bono is one of those persons, who just happens to also be in a rock and roll band.

Exactly amigo, that's why I voted yes. The question is directly linked to him and his support on these causes, in my point of view. I agree that lots of not-so-talented stars and star-wannabes usually jump on the bandwagon of charity causes to take some advantages concerning popularity and media exposition. But I don't think that they are the majority.

I remember in the 80s, when Sting supported the cause for preservation of Brazilian rain forest, lots of local politicians stated that he was just trying to show off, making public appearances in Europe side by side with a Brazilian indian leader named Raoni, a well-known defender of preservation of our natural environment. It was not true, of course, they didn't have a clue about Sting and how famous and rich he already was, and how sincere he was as well. I think many people who voted "no" in this CNN poll might think the same about Bono.

Just saw the video on CNN website, I couldn?t see it when I posted before, while at work. Although the poor quality of the video, I liked to see his face, always showing the importance of the idea he is defending so wholeheartedly.

The poll is now 39% yes and 61% no.

I voted yes there. I agree with hotasahandbag. U2 fans were into the band in the eighties sometimes because of their work for political causes. Adam fielded that question on Rattle and Hum, saying the band felt that rock and politics could go together. If you have the voice and the willingness and the means to speak up for causes you believe in, a lot can get done. Besides, "entertainers" can put something back into the community, local or worldwide, by supporting causes, much like athletes do. Bono happens to have a penchant and a talent for talking to politicians, and I say more power to him!

I was watching the Billboard New Years Eve special (as a cultural lesson
smile.gif
) and all the artists got together after New Years to sing What's Going On (including Gwen). They prefaced it by talking about the debt problem in Africa and stating that 3 million people would die next year due to AIDS and poverty. Just seemed very right that these stars were taking up the cause, and by pulling these people together, Bono is getting the message out to a much wider audience.

I voted yes, why should someone NOT get involved just because he's a rock star? Bono can get more attention than a boring politician can, hey if they all looked like this maybe more people would be interested
wink.gif

27451015kcsyLEyWbR_ph.jpg

What have I got to do to get the video to play? I click on it, and it says it's connecting, but it goes on for 40 minutes or more and nothing happens, finally it freezes or I just log off. What should I do? I want to see Bono!

------------------
"Walk On, stay safe tonight"

U2Kitten, I?m afraid I can?t help you, but it?s a poor quality video, as I said above, so you might not be missing that much. Anyways I just realised that he might have given this interview to CNN People in the News in the same day as the picture above was taken, I think during the launch of this new World Health Organization campaign. He?s using the same shades and costumes, the blue shirt and the black suit. And also his hair is done the same way.

You can check it for yourself, there is a picture of the video at www.u2guatemala.com
Click in "noticias".

[This message has been edited by follower (edited 01-03-2002).]

Originally posted by follower:
U2Kitten, I?m afraid I can?t help you, but it?s a poor quality video, as I said above, so you might not be missing that much. Anyways I just realised that he might have given this interview to CNN People in the News in the same day as the picture above was taken, I think during the launch of this new World Health Organization campaign. He?s using the same shades and costumes, the blue shirt and the black suit. And also his hair is done the same way.

You can check it for yourself, there is a picture of the video at www.u2guatemala.com
Click in "noticias".

[This message has been edited by follower (edited 01-03-2002).]

Thanks Follower!
smile.gif

------------------
"Walk On, stay safe tonight"

biggrin.gif
I'm such a goonie bird. I love reading stuff like that. *socially conscious Bono makes me HAPPY*

------------------
~*Mona*~
a litle girl with Spanish eyes

A little less circuitry ** A little more poetry

YOU KNOW I BELIEVE IT

Exactly Mona, and he knows he can make a difference, he can make his own existence much more worth living, fighting for what he believes. He was given the power of words, and he has used this power all his life, whether is creating lyrics that are in fact poetry or making priceless statements like in these lines below:

"Take the country Botswana, for instance. Forty percent HIV infection. You're in a crowded street, in a marketplace, and you look around, and nearly half the people you're standing with have a death sentence. That kind of despair, that kind of lack of hope when you can't get access to medicines to treat you, is exactly the kind of powder keg that set off Afghanistan.

The abject poverty makes people very susceptible to the likes of al Qaeda and ... so I think, if you look at Africa, there's potentially another 10 Afghanistans in Africa. Are we going to leave them the way we left Afghanistan? And is it cheaper to actually prevent the fires from happening than putting them out? I can tell you by a factor of a hundred it is."

Btw, things are getting better with the poll. Now there are 48% Yes and 52% No.

smile.gif

Am I buggin you?
biggrin.gif
I hope not.

Can?t help posting again, now the CNN poll is 56% Yes and 44% No (2052 votes). I like it much better this way.
wink.gif

Peace

Back
Top Bottom