Bono on CBC Newsworld!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basstrap

ONE love, blood, life
i was just flicking through the channels and for some reason I stayed on CBC...thats scary in itself. But then Peter Mansbridge said he was going to interview Bono live(bono was in monte carlo)!!!!
The first thing I did was get out the pen and paper to try and transcribe as much as possible, just in case they don't put up an official transcription on the site.

Heres what i got.
---------------

First they showed a little montage of bonos past and his involvement with aid, including his work with liveaid and such. Mansbrdige talked very well about bono and seems to admire him.

The interview, it was hard to transcribe, we all know how much Bono can talk. So I often just paraphrased. Ill use quotations where I have it perfect:

*bono looking at a booklet*
Mansbridge: Are you looking at the final communica?

Bono:says a lot of peoples work and dreams are crushed here. "A lot of rhetoric, a lot of old numbers fiddled with"
says there were some positive things here but the "scale of the response does not meet the scale of the problem"

McCabes efforts did'nt work.
He says he's a crack-pot who just reenforces that Africa is a lost cause and it is hopless to try.
"it isn't a lost cause"

Mansbridge: Who's not getting it then?

Bono: "They're not bad guys, they're just busy. That beaucracy..."
"The problem is when it comes down to it people are dying for the stupidest reason...money!"

Mansbirdge: "You not only sound dissapointed, you look dissapointed."

Bono: Its cheaper to prevent the fires than put them out...there are 10 Afghanistans waiting to happen in africa". the UN says we need 24 billion dollars to assess the problem but the pledges of the countries don't nearly add up to that. They're underestimating just how serious the problem is.

Mansbridge: Do you feel like you've been had after doing all you've done and having met all the political figures you have met?

Bono: Ask me in a year. If nothing has changed I will feel like I've been had. "I'll feel like I've been a tourist in somebody elses tragedy."...
"we'll be back, you'll be hearing from me next year"
Then he criticises the church. He points out that a great number of verses are aimed towards helping the poor yet in a recent poll of church goers only 6% wanted to do something about the sids epidemic.
--------------
Bono seemed soooo passionate and if I ever hear any prick of bastard saying its all publicity stunt again I'll hang them out to dry.
After the Bono interview CBC newsworld had a political debate about the Summit and the political critics were actually agreeing[/i[ with bono and even quoting him!!!

ME SO PROUD OF HE! ME SO PROUD A HE!!

Basstrap!!! Do you think this will be on the late news for us Westcoasters????

:scream:

Angel said:
Basstrap!!! Do you think this will be on the late news for us Westcoasters????

:scream:

Could be!
Does mansbridge host that?!?!

My little transcription does NO justice to it. It was awesome!
Bono's an awesome guy!

Well, I just caught it right now... they showed a clip... it lasted maybe 30 seconds. I taped a bit of it... they only showed Bono's one response, but no Mansbridge.

Carmanah said:
(side trivial note: it's weird hearing Bono say "Kananaskis"... not that he's pronouncing it wrong... it's just weird hearing him say it!)

LOL, I agree!! I just caught it. I think I missed the beginning. Bono looked, uhm... haggered? Lol Love hearing him talk politics. I really hope all his efforts become more than what Peter skepticized (<--word?) about... a photo op more or less. Anyways... only time will tell.

I was waiting for Bono to arise amongst all this G8 footage. Good stuff.

thanks for the link

Guys, this was an amazing interview! Treat yourself if you haven't seen it! :) Our man was knowledgeable, passionate, fair, articulate, deep, tired and angry. :(

He can't do this alone! If you agree with what he said, callcallcall! He spoke of the penny that's about to drop, of the "sleeping giant" that is the church. Let's wake that giant up! Forgive me again for being such a broken record, but this is just too important.

O'Neill 202 622 0190
Bush 202 456 1414

Give them a call! And call your rep. You can find his or her # at congress.com

Like Bono said, we WILL NOT give up!

SD

Back
Top Bottom