Bono on American Idol...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flying FuManchu

New Yorker
Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
How do you think Bono would do on as a contestant on American Idol. I've watched a couple of shows and always wondered how today's celebs would fare in such an environment? Would Bono get some nasty critiques or a lot of compliments... What era Bono would do the best? Lovetown era Bono? Achtung Era? The current incarnation of Bono?

And when I read the title of this thread I got really, really scared that he was going to make a guest appearance on the show or something. Thank God he isn't!

Well here in Canada we have Canadian Idol (stupid) and some guy sang One tonight. I thought he butchered it but the judges thought he was great. And one judge said he was good but to be trying to sing like one of the best vocalist in the last 20 years was a hard task!@

Red Ships of Scalla-Festa said:
the guy who won by being white and finishing in second place behind a black man looks like thom yorke.

That actually was Thom Yorke. Drumming up publicity for HTTT.

LOL... don't merge this thread with the the Hail to the Thief monster...

Anyways... The most recent American Idol has shown you can be mildly attractive and win it all.

My thoughts would be Lovetown era... he had the range back then... soul singing or not... people tend to be impressed with range IMO.

I agree, Lovetown-era Bono would have the best chance on American Idol vocal-wise. However, he probably would have been too old to compete on the show because he was 27 or 28 at that time and I believe the upper age limit for contestants is 24. Yes, once people reach the age of 24 they automatically lose all their singing talent. :madspit: :censored:

Bono's voice is too rough and rock and roll for that show. Maybe if they did a special rock edition, he would fair pretty well.

Is there an age limit on American Idol? LOL... that's somewhat of a letdown (I only watched a few shows).

They did have that rock guy on the show and went pretty far. Thought it was funny. What would be cool is if they could do a celebrity American Idol and Bono then would be able to participate for sure.

Bono actually did rip on the pseudo-talent shows out there. I don't remember his exact words, but he showed his disdain for UK Fame Academy's David Sneddon (read: American Idol, but you write your own songs) and instead said that people like Coldplay and Ms Dynamite were more deserving of respect.

As for the original question, Bono would never get into American Idol - he isn't American.

Back
Top Bottom