"Bono Needs To Lay Off!"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemonator

The Fly
I just think that there are some idiots out in the world that have to criticize everyone famous. Then as U2 fans we read anything on the net about our 4 guys, and we find negative garbage about the band. This garbage really only expresses the "opinion" of a few people who really don't know anything about Bono, The Edge, Adam, or Larry. We mistake this garbage for a "globalized opinion", and we begin to believe it ourselves.

So in other words, don't believe everything you read. Critics will always criticize, but remember it's their own opinion.

------------------
"Yep...Silver and Gold!!!" - Bono

We'll Shine Like Stars In The Summer Nights...

Originally posted by gherman:
I didn't mean to get you upset at your time of the month.

Excuse me if I'm misunderstanding, but this seems WAY out of line to me. Sexist even.

Lemonator... Thank you
smile.gif
You are obviously inteligent and not quick to critisize, but what do you think? I just think its great to see the boys doing so well after being a fan over the 90's and listening to people pan the shit out of them. Over Zooropa and POP I mean. I just don't want them to make the same mistakes. Even Larry says that he gets pissed a Bono for doing so much. Its a matter of finding the "golden-means" or that equilibrium. Not too much and not too little.

Yeah I can imagine people sitting on their asses at home watching tv and seeing Bono on the news for doing something in hopes of making this world a better place saying "oh look at that asshole who does he think he is!".

I respect Bono for the fact that he isn't on the news because of an overdose or something, but because he is on the news for his tireless efforts and the charitable things he does.

Bono not dropping a dime? How would you know. Bono more often than other times has gone to the center of whats going wrong with this world, to try and see what can be done about.

I don't think it's fair for people who haven't done anything charitable to try and criticize people that do.

If this was the 80's I could understand a media backlash, back then it was all about greed is good. This is a new century, and we need more people like Bono, because for the most part the world is turning to shit.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Its people like you gherman, who get U2 into trouble. If people didn't criticize then there would be no backlash at U2. I guess everyone has an opinion and every asshole has to express it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Lemonator (edited 02-15-2002).]

God I realy didn't mean to put the band down. I just though that people would be more open and not take it so seriously. I guess next time I post something I better chose my words better. Just by that one post I've got people telling me I'm an asshole, I'm not a "real" U2 fan, and I even resorted to retaliation just so I don't go home feeling like I didn't defend myself.

(posting same reply as in other thread):

gherman~

I had no problem with your initial post because I felt you stated your opinion without rippin' into people. But that "time of the month" comment was uncalled for in what you call your "retaliation".

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

nevermind, i was just repeating the same sentiments as bonochick.

[This message has been edited by babble (edited 02-15-2002).]

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Excuse me if I'm misunderstanding, but this seems WAY out of line to me. Sexist even.

Sula, I agree with you 100%.. this comment has been driving me insane for ages. I have gotten that comment so many times -- how can men think they can just point the finger at the woman for being angry? It's retarded.
And as for the rest of the thread.. I agree with you Bonochick. Urgh.

------------------
"Very strange looking object you have at the end of your stick.." - Bono

"Bono looks too intense for me." - Rollercoaster Tycoon park guest

"I was drunk, high on him, a shrinking, shadowboxing dwarf following in his foosteps...badly...STARSTRUCK.." - Bono, on meeting Frank Sinatra for the first time

"Bono? Bono is going to tie ropes around my neck? Wait a minute.." - Edge, when shooting the 'Numb' video

Yeah your right that was pretty dick. Sorry about that Spinninghead. If my girlfriend heard me say that then I probably would have no dick.

Okay Everyone. Let's stop the fighting. 'War is not the answer, for only love can conquer hate". Gherman said that he wants to be educated, so let's educate him about why Bono's charity work is so important!!

I have already apoligized, and again, I am very sorry that I got on the defensive.
smile.gif

Originally posted by gherman:
Yeah your right that was pretty dick. Sorry about that Spinninghead. If my girlfriend heard me say that then I probably would have no dick.
That's alright
biggrin.gif
I know that sometime's I can be a little abbrasive!

Now Let's see it's very logical and simple , and partially i'm agree ,
USA are overdozed by U2 stuff , tour was there , these endless dull boring useless speeches of Bono , 3rd leg which to my point was full of terrible mistakes ( flag-coat , some songs which were very 'political ' ) , endless apearings on national tv shows , presentations , sports breaks , at some point Bono just came too far with 'speeches ' , where rock'n'roll music can't be that connect , and bono turned every song into a '' prayer '' , making mistakes in many songs , while during Bullet , Bono was afraid to said a single word .....Bono should break up with a band and go into priest-political-prostitutes cause in late 2001,beginning of 2002 , he did those things .

A Statement : U2 should comeback from politics to real music .

Originally posted by IvanClaytonJnr:
these endless dull boring useless speeches of Bono
I do not agree with this comment. I think that Bono makes these speeches because he wants the fans to be educated about what is going on in the world. Many people have joined organizations like 'Greenpeace' and 'Amnesty International' because of what they hear from Bono and U2.

yes , i know , but ' helping Africa ' is a very difficult topic for a few mins before One , and i disagree with Bono about this question , bono behaves more like a politician then a musician ,

Bono's media-savvy. He understands the backlash risk. He's a big boy and can handle it. We don't want him doing a Brian Wilson, trust me--I met Brian. Not pretty.

And this is different from how U2 has always been HOW? Do some homework. Bono and the band have ALWAYS been on some crusade or another. I fail to see how any fan could be too surprised over it or seriously expect them to become a different band overnight.

I'm not supprized at all. I just remember all the stuff that they have been saying before the album came out. About how they had learned from Rattle and Hum and how they would never make those mistakes again. And how the have learned from POP also. You know what, I think that the new album will be even better than ATYCLB and thats hard for me to say because I thank its the best tha they have ever made. But I just think Bono pushes a little too hard. Again don't stop doing all charity, keep doing all great things, but I just think that there is a time when you have to pull the rieghns and slow down.

When we sift through all the unnecessary personal acrimony in this thread, there is an interesting point here. Will there be a major backlash to Bono's high profile?

My Hypothesis: The U.S. mass media's reaction to anyone (including Bono) is dependent upon the degree to which his/her rhetoric and actions favor the interests of the the powers that be, which includes the U.S. government and media owners (U.S. corporations). A backlash occurs when a celebrity figure with access to the public provides the public with access to information these entities didn't want them to know, or when he/she threatens their financial interests. That, simply, is the difference between being "the only band that matters" and "shut up already, you're just a rock star/actor/whatever".

There have been two major U.S. anti-U2 backlashes so far. The first started in late 1987 and extended through 1989. It began (almost to the day, if you compare U2 bootlegs and post-concert media reviews as I have) in late 1987 when Bono began to speak very openly and frankly during concerts about the devastation that the U.S. was inflicting on Nicaragua. Until that time, U.S. citizens simply didn't know what was going on down there. That's when the first "please shut up"s began to be seen in post-concert reviews. The backlash was made easier by the band's rather haughty demeanor (I agree with critics on this one) during the Rattle & Hum movie. More importantly, in the movie the band directly implicated Western corporations ("silver and gold") as a major contributor to the apartheid South African government. Hence the virulent backlash.

The second backlash was in 1997. The band a) proudly refused corporate sponsorship for their multi-million dollar Popmart tour; and b) openly referred to the "corporate monster" during their concerts. The usual group of potential sponsors and music industry denizens were outraged that a) they lost a lot of cash; and b) U2 was setting an example for other bands that might follow suit - that would be a major threat to their moneymaking machine. So the media machine did another job on U2. Even now, the way Pop and Popmart are retrospectively panned as failures by the media is completely at odds with the facts: the Pop album received good reviews initially (not Joshua Tree - like reviews, but good) by most reviewers, being a stadium tour Popmart actually sold more tickets than Elevation, Popmart made millions of dollars, and Popmart was a great show compared to other artists' shows (but perhaps not as great as other U2 shows in the opinion of many, including me).

This is not conspiracy theory. This is the way that the media works. People without good relationships with powerful politicians and business leaders (nowdays, the business leaders own the media so it's even more simple) don't become editors. Reporters self-censor their stories to make them acceptable to editors. And everyone in that industry needs good relationships with Clear Channel in order to be viable.

So my prediction is that as long as U2 continues to be Clear Channel's posterboys, espouses American patriotism, approves of American military action, and aids in the illusion that governmental leaders and corporations are really interested in debt relief, reviewers are going to be very wary about knocking them. Anyone in the music reporting industry knows you don't get promoted easily these days without a good relationship with Clear Channel.

This will change if: a) Bono tries to play hardball to pressure Bush into supporting debt relief, or if he expresses public dissatisfaction with the public relations pennies the West will inevitably throw at the problem; b) Bono criticizes American foreign policy or corporations publicly.

I believe Bono has learned the lessons of the past very well, and that he's fully aware of all this. I think he was politically astute in seizing the opportunity presented by 9-11 to ingratiate himself with the U.S. elite. I think he greatly enjoys the material and publicity gains he receives from this (who wouldn't?). I also think that he genuinely believes that this access to the U.S. elite is his last and best chance to help people in the 3rd world.

I don't totally blame him for trying, but I do think he's completely deluded in this. The politicians he's dealing with are very professional at using celebrities for publicity, throwing lip service and compliments in their direction, TAKING THE POLITICANS GAINS OF ASSOCIATING WITH HIM, and KEEPING THE MONEY.

But as long as he doesn't complain about this too loudly, he'll be applauded for years, and may even be nominated with Sachs for the Nobel Peace Prize some day. If he does complain vociferously or especially if he implicates Western corporations in being a part of the African problem, he'll lose mass media access faster than a speeding bullet and we may even see a backlash.

OK, now you can all start throwing tomatoes at me.

gherman-I understand what you are saying and I think it is sad that you dont seem to be given your opinion. I think what bono is doing is great. I do think that by "U2" being in the spot light sooooo much it may cause a backlash.....I dont really mind I actually love it when they are on tv. I dont think that Bono doing all those interviews on his own will cause any sort of problems. Its like this with everyone, Boybands have been EVERYWHERE for the past 2-3 years and now it seems that they are falling. As for all the people who attacked gerhman because he expressed an opinion well you all suck, the wole point of a "forum" is to discuss topics. even if we dont like them.

I admire Bono because he does whatever the fuck he wants to do. I'm sure he knows it is only a matter of time before the backlash comes, that is nature of being successful.. So why not do all that you can do while you have the chance?

------------------
Live As If You'll Die Tomorrow, Dream As If You'll Live Forever

A lot of people get jealous when the see another person become sucessful. That is the nature of man. So when someone is sucessful at something good, like Bono being the frontman of the world's greatest band and all his charity work, a few people become jealous of him and backlash. But these few people spread their ideas onto other people who do not really know much about U2, and soon a backlash against U2 spreads like a wildfire. It's like a rumor you hear in high school.

------------------

Back
Top Bottom