Bono made surprise appearance at Beastie Boys benefit concert!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dougal55

War Child
Yep! He did!

This is what NME said:

"Bono - 'Helpless' guest
BEASTIES' STAR GUESTS HAVE IT COVERED!

MICHAEL STIPE, BONO and MOBY all made surprise appearances at the second NEW YORK AGAINST VIOLENCE benefit concert at NEW YORK CITY's HAMMERSTEIN BALLROOM last night (October 29), in between scheduled sets by JON SPENCER BLUES EXPLOSION and the event's organisers, the BEASTIE BOYS, NME.COM can exclusively reveal.

Stipe and Moby took the stage unannounced while concertgoers awaited the headlining Beastie Boys, all three of whom had already appeared on stage separately to introduce speakers throughout the evening. Wild cheers erupted as fans quickly recognised the two bald stars, Moby sitting down with an acoustic guitar to accompany the REM frontman for a moving cover of the Velvet Underground's 'All Tomorrow's Parties'.

The duo followed up the song with a rendition of Neil Young's 'Helpless', only to have near-hysteria descend on the venue as Bono, also unannounced, strode out from backstage halfway into the number, bearing a makeshift sign echoing the song's title.

The U2 singer joined Stipe on vocals for the rest of the song, segueing at one point into the opening verse from Bob Dylan's 'Knocking on Heaven's Door'. All three stars left the stage together following the second song.

Performances from N.E.R.D., Mos Def, The Roots, Pakistani artist Rahat Fateh Ali Khan and a DJ set by Afrika Bambaataa rounded out the sold-out show, which included Chris Rock and Clare Danes among its thousands of attendees.

The concert followed Sunday night's benefit, which also featured the Beastie Boys as headliners, along with Cibo Matto, The B-52s and The Strokes.

As at Sunday's show, the Beastie Boys performed a number of career-spanning hits, such as 'Slow and Low', 'Shake Your Rump', 'Sure Shot' and 'Intergalactic', often rhyming over newer tracks, supplied by Mixmaster Mike, including a performance of 'So What'cha Want' laid over the music from Missy Elliott's ubiquitous 'Get Ur Freak On'.

Proceeds from both shows will go to disaster relief funds established by the New York Association for New Americans (NYANA) and the New York Women's Foundation (NYWF) in the wake of the September 11 attacks."

I would have loved to hear "Helpless"! I think its great to hear that Beastie Boys have done their bit in helping raise money for those victims of the Sept 11th attacks. Im sure the audience was amazed by the sight of those guys, Stipe, Moby & Bono all on the same stage!!

cheers my dears!

dougal

Wow, sounds amazing!
And to think our very own Diamond was there.
smile.gif

Yeah nicamom!

Where are you diamond? Get right here and tell us all what you saw at the Beastie boys gig....... dont leave any details.....tell us all the full works.......

cheers my dears!

dougal

Originally posted by dougal55:
...only to have near-hysteria descend on the venue as Bono, also unannounced, strode out from backstage halfway into the number, bearing a makeshift sign echoing the song's title.

Near-hysteria. I can just imagine!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I'm staring at the sun, not the only one who's happy to go blind..."

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:
Keep in mind you will need to download the diamonddialectizer to decipher his story once he posts it.

BWAAAHAAAHAAA!!!! So true, so true...
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

I hope there gets to be a video or mp3 of this somewhere... REM Moby and U2 are 3 of my 4 or 5 or maybe even 3 favourite artists.

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:
Keep in mind you will need to download the diamonddialectizer to decipher his story once he posts it.

Ready for duty.

~ME 3

Back
Top Bottom