Bono Lip Synching?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jon Seidman

The Fly
Don't want to start something here, or maybe it has already been mentioned, but I saw them back on the Vertigo tour in Philadelphia (I forget which night) and I could SWEAR I caught B lipsynching during Miracle Drug. His face was on close up on the big screens and his mouth was closed for a second or two as he swallowed or caught his breath, yet I heard his voice! I have wondered about it and one possibility is that The Edge was singing at the same time. Not sure. Anyone? I would be very disappointed if I found out they were using prerecorded vox in addition to all the all backing tracks they now use...

the middle verse of Miracle Drug is sung by the Edge both on the album and live. "Beneath the noise ,below the din."

i hope that is the answer but i remember that it wasn't that part of the song. it was the 'i see you when you smile - i've had enough of romantic love...' or whatever it is. the HIGH part. worries.

yes.. that's Edge's singing part of the song.. I was at the Philly shows and on the rail both times.. (actually saw 10 Vertigo shows) and state for the record there was no lip synching involved..

and Welcome to Interference btw! :wave:

c'mon people be nice to the new members ok? I know we have went over this topic numerous times but he deserves a break being the new guy and all.

i hope that is the answer but i remember that it wasn't that part of the song. it was the 'i see you when you smile - i've had enough of romantic love...' or whatever it is. the HIGH part. worries.

I can say with 100% certainty that Bono does not lip sync on any part of Miracle Drug and that the only verse the Edge sang or even gave any type of vocals for was the middle verse.

Don't want to start something here, or maybe it has already been mentioned, but I saw them back on the Vertigo tour in Philadelphia (I forget which night) and I could SWEAR I caught B lipsynching during Miracle Drug. His face was on close up on the big screens and his mouth was closed for a second or two as he swallowed or caught his breath, yet I heard his voice! I have wondered about it and one possibility is that The Edge was singing at the same time. Not sure. Anyone? I would be very disappointed if I found out they were using prerecorded vox in addition to all the all backing tracks they now use...

Hi Jon, and thanks for starting this thread.

A very interesting read for me.

Bono isn't lip synching, otherwise he wouldn't mess up the lyrics so many times. :wink:

Bono and Edge's voice sound so much alike these days and they are harmonising very well, so it may be difficult to make out who's singing what sometimes.

if he lip synched...wouldn't he sound better towards the end of each tour? i'm just saying...he'd be able to hit the high notes, and no voice cracking would be heard. i mean, what's the point in lip synching only part of the time if it could make you sound smoother all the time?

but that's why we love him...he's even better than the real thing!

Bono and Edge's voice sound so much alike these days and they are harmonising very well, so it may be difficult to make out who's singing what sometimes.

only these days? :wink: Seconds anyone?

It wouldn't be better for Bono's voice if he lip-synched, since it would ruin the whole show. His voice gets trained by singing and most people would agree that the last leg of last tour Bono's voice was stronger than ever!

I love the album version of Miracle Drug. :drool:

Bono's and Edge's voices are terrific together.

Someone on another thread said Bono and Edge are like Peanut Butter and Jelly. How great is that remark!

Bono's and Edge's voices are terrific together.
Someone on another thread said Bono and Edge are like Peanut Butter and Jelly. How great is that remark!
awwwww! yeah ilove the edge's singing voice. they do blend well together. sometimes during the studio version of the Fly i can't tell who's singingh haha

Bono does not lip sync, he sings live for every single song. However, he does use a backing track occassionally on a few songs. Most notably on Vertigo was Crumbs From Your Table. The "You speak of signs and wonders" part was a backing track of his own vocal. Why this was done is beyond me because I don't think it added anything to the song live. There was no backing track used on Miracle Drug. As others have stated Edge did sing one verse, but Bono sang the rest live without any backing.

c'mon people be nice to the new members ok? I know we have went over this topic numerous times but he deserves a break being the new guy and all.

I generally give new people the benefit of the doubt but this particular poster started with this thread and moved on to cosmetic surgery after this...

Seems a little trollish if you ask me...

Bono does not lip sync, he sings live for every single song. However, he does use a backing track occassionally on a few songs. Most notably on Vertigo was Crumbs From Your Table. The "You speak of signs and wonders" part was a backing track of his own vocal. Why this was done is beyond me because I don't think it added anything to the song live. There was no backing track used on Miracle Drug. As others have stated Edge did sing one verse, but Bono sang the rest live without any backing.

I agree and lots of performers do this because the some of the background vocals are done by them in the studio. Giving more fullness to the song. I have never seen Bono "lip sync." In fact there were performances, where you could see that Bono was struggling to hit some of the higher notes. Which, by the way, I think he did an outstanding job.

Some U2 crew must be reading this forum :ohmy:

If you carefully watch the recently posted How To Build A Rock'n'Roll Show video on u2.com (subscriber site) you can clearly see a setlist from the Vertigo South America tour with notes of which loops should be started for which song. It's at about 3:30. It mostly says 'loop <x-y>'. So it's not even a scretet.

U2.com | Login

Playing some background loops to enhance the sound for me is by no means cheating or lip synching!

I guess I am a little old school. I don't believe in vocal 'backing tracks'. Even musical backing tracks are hard to swallow. The first time U2 used it was in 84 with 'Bad' I believe. A reel to reel system. I want live versions to sound different than album versions. It's not so fun to 'see' the album. With all the digital effects possible nowadays, it's so easy to just hop from the studio to the stage. It's a little boring. It takes away the innate spontaneity of the live show. Oh well. It was great to hear the old stuff (pre 87) on the last tour. It was just the instruments, no trickery. Well, there was probably actually a lot of trickery set up to mimic simplicity. But I liked it. An Cat Dubh. Into the Heart. Great stuff. Thanks for all the responses to my post everyone.

I guess I am a little old school. I don't believe in vocal 'backing tracks'. Even musical backing tracks are hard to swallow. The first time U2 used it was in 84 with 'Bad' I believe. A reel to reel system. I want live versions to sound different than album versions. It's not so fun to 'see' the album. With all the digital effects possible nowadays, it's so easy to just hop from the studio to the stage. It's a little boring. It takes away the innate spontaneity of the live show. Oh well. It was great to hear the old stuff (pre 87) on the last tour. It was just the instruments, no trickery. Well, there was probably actually a lot of trickery set up to mimic simplicity. But I liked it. An Cat Dubh. Into the Heart. Great stuff. Thanks for all the responses to my post everyone.

spontaneity? oh please.....

... there's 'trickery' in about ANY U2 song.. if you want real old skool music, don't listen to U2... they have a guitarist that cheats by using all kinds of whacky guitar devices! :tsk:

There are so many U2 tracks that just lose their touch without the backing track, what about Bad, the harmonies for All I Want Is You, and WOWY, that song just isn't complete without the backing track.

In the studio U2 can use any kind of technique to creat the songs they hear in their head, and the meaning of a live concert is to let others hear those songs. Not play a stripped down version of them, that's not the same song! then what's the use of even making songs like these?

albums are for listening to
concerts are for the (physical) experience
bootlegs are for fans to have something to complain about

if at any U2 show you got distracted by a backing track
its pretty save to say that the real problem isn't with the backing track
but with how much you've been able to get sucked into the experience

Back
Top Bottom