Bono knighted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BurninStar

The Fly
In the Dec./Jan. issue of rolling stone it listed possible candidates for who will be the next knight. the list was as follows:
1. Rod Stewart; Odds- 4 to 6
2. Ringo Starr; Odds- even money
3. Charlie Watts; Odds- 2 to 1
4. George Michael; Odds- 4 to 1
5. Bono; Odds- 8 to 1

Now doesn't anyone else think that Bono deserves to be knighted, especially with all the charity work he does!

I think you have to be British (england, scotland, wales and northern ireland)

I don't think Bono would want to be knighted, not at the moment anyway

arent people usually older when knighted? ei. Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney, Elton i honestly dont know the crudentials that go into contention. .... wasnt Clapton named something...whatever is below a knight i think.

Do these titles have any meaning? Does Paul McCartney have any special privileges or something? Frankly, I couldn't care less. Let Bono remain a rock star.

sue4u2 said:
I saw that article and my first thought was Bono would be mortified and NOT! want this. I think... :ohmy:

with that in mind, Bono would be well within his right to turn down a knighthood
many before him have including several beatles i think...?

Um, Sean Connery was knighted and he's Scottish. Bill Gates was knighted as well and he's...American.

I just wanted to see what other people thought about it. True Sir Bono doesn't really have that ring to it. And I agree that even if he was offered it, he might turn it down. It doesn't really matter if he gets knighted or not though, cuz everybody knows he's awsome!!!!:bow:
It's interesting how reading other people's opinions can change your perspective.

I'd like to think he'd turn it down, as plenty others have in the past, most famously probably being John Lennon.

I'd be disappointed if he did accept it, no Irish person (from the republic or 6 counties) should accept it IMO...

I cant see Bono get Knighted as he has not generated enough tax pounds for our government like, Elton, Macca etc. or made a donation to one of our political parties.

Whats all this talk of bad blood between the Brits and the Irish.

The English and the Catholics in Northern Ireland maybe, but even during the 30 years of trouble Dublin and the Republic have always been one of the favorite places for the British to go to. You dont even need a passport to go to Ireland, its 40 minutes across the Irish see from most UK airports.

I think sometimes our North American friends forget Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland are two different countries.

Go to any large city in the UK and you will find massive Irish communities, in my city there is one of the largest Irish populations and our lord mayor is Irish, its awesome loads of great pubs that dont seem to know about our draconian licensing laws. U2 played some of these pubs on their first tours outside of Ireland in the late 70s and early 80s.

Its always very special when they play the UK we all become "Plastic Paddy's" for the day, go to Manchester, Glasgow or Cardiff this summer, and you will see witness probably the wildest crowds outside of Dublin for this tour. Everyone will be off their heads and you know how us Brits cant take our beer. Sorry I didnt put London in there, I am always so disapointed when I see U2 in London as the crowds tend to be a bit mild, give me a Northern or Celtic crowd any day.

Gabster2004 said:

I think sometimes our North American friends forget Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland are two different countries.

Not in a lot of folks opinions...

Gabster2004 said:

Whats all this talk of bad blood between the Brits and the Irish.

No idea, might have something to do with 800 years of oppression however...

Back
Top Bottom