Bono just makes every song better

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convoy

Acrobat
I was looking around the net for different U2 and Springsteen live videos. And I came across this one video, pretty good quality, of Bono and Springsteen singing "Because the night" and it was amazing. Bono just made the song a million times better then what Spingsteen can do... and he's the Boss. Bono's vocal range and emotion just makes it great. So I ask this of all of you, what songs do you think Bono makes better, or can make better?

Last edited:
I like Bono when he guests on songs, but if that was the case that Bono helps make a song better, then Wyclef collaboration would have been great. It's akin to seeing Wyclef hanging from cliff and crying out to Bono for help. Bono lends Wyclef his hand to help him up, but is pulled over the edge by Jean resulting in both of them falling to the bottom...

Does Bono make every song better? Depends; I never liked his take on "Unchained Melody" or "Dancing Barefoot" on the first Best Of CD. I also remember watching footage from a ZooTV show where he sang a little bit of "Dancing Queen" spectacularly badly, :)

Saracene said:
Does Bono make every song better? Depends; I never liked his take on "Unchained Melody" or "Dancing Barefoot" on the first Best Of CD.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard that - must get Best Of The B-Sides 1980-1990 - but one of my friends tells me that the version of Unchained Melody is one of the best she's heard. I guess it's all really personal taste and preference ...

nbcrusader said:

Or a U2 song that has been improved by anyone else....

During Bon Jovi's concert in Dublin in their Crush Tour, they closed with a cover of U2's "One". Fans who witnessed it said on the Bon Jovi message boards and concert reviews that Bon Jovi's version was better than U2's. I personally wasn't in the concert so I cannot have an opinion on this, but if the people who were there said Bon Jovi's version was better, then let's not argue until we hear from someone who has been there and says otherwise - that U2's version is still tops.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

During Bon Jovi's concert in Dublin in their Crush Tour, they closed with a cover of U2's "One". Fans who witnessed it said on the Bon Jovi message boards and concert reviews that Bon Jovi's version was better than U2's. I personally wasn't in the concert so I cannot have an opinion on this, but if the people who were there said Bon Jovi's version was better, then let's not argue until we hear from someone who has been there and says otherwise - that U2's version is still tops.

Cheers,

J

Eh, put down the bong, and have some dip.

Diemen said:
I bet jick just can't wait for Avril Lavigne to do a rocking skater-punk U2 cover. :|

Or U2 to do a Avril Lavigne cover ;)

I love that version of Because The Night- the energy between Bono and Bruce and thus the audience is electric :love: :up:

I love their take on Dancing Barefoot and Unchained Melody. I have a friend that acutally got introduced to U2 because she fell in love with Dancing Barefoot on the Threesome soundtrack.

In my opinion the only song that Bono hasn't been able to make better is 'Halleluiah' by Leonard Cohen. I was really dissapointed by his version. I may be a little harsh on it due to the fact that Jeff Buckley's version may be one of my fave songs ever.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
In my opinion the only song that Bono hasn't been able to make better is 'Halleluiah' by Leonard Cohen. I was really dissapointed by his version. I may be a little harsh on it due to the fact that Jeff Buckley's version may be one of my fave songs ever.

I understand exactly what you mean. When I heard Bono had covered this song I was really excited because I love it so much. I realized no matter what he did it would have a hard time competing with Jeff Buckley's version, but I thought if anyone besides Buckley had a shot at doing justice to the song, Bono did. Then I heard Bono's version and was totally let down. He not only failed to make it better - he ruined it.

I can't think of too many other cover songs where I didn't love Bono's voice. I didn't care for U2's covers of Paint It Black or Fortunate Son, but I'm not sure how much the vocal part had to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom