Bono: John Lennon's heir ? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:18 PM
Bono: John Lennon's heir ?

Both were fronting the biggest band at the time, both had an "extracurricular activity" (Yoko and Africa), both outspoken and both advocating peace. For both of them the said "outside activity" meant friction in the band. Both became one of the most famous and recognizable figures worlwide, icons outside of their band's music and after 20+ years of music, both are legends of music.
U2 has named Beatles as an influence and the band covered their songs, Bono in particular is said to admire Lennon's music.

So what do you think: is Bono the legitimate heir to Lennon ?

edit: interesting -

Speaking to the Rolling Stone Bono said: “Yoko came up to me when I was in my twenties, and she put her hand on me and she said, 'You are John's son.' What an amazing compliment!”

Old 07-12-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 02:18 PM
I was just thinking about this the other day- I've seen it since first reading the lyrics to "God Part II" and realizing it was a response to a John Lennon song... now that Bono is one of the most recognizable people in the world media, I think even someone who is not really into rock//pop music could see this connection as well.

I keep wondering whether Bono will ever say "we're bigger than the Beatles" as a jab at Lennon who once said the Beatles were "Bigger than Jesus"- but I think perhaps Bono has too much respect for the Fab Four to say that... then again, catch him in a joking mood... ;-)

Old 07-12-2007, 02:51 PM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:18 AM
the difference is that Bono is making a difference in cold, hard, concrete terms.

still, he'll never have the cultural impact that Lennon had. no one ever will.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:51 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:18 PM
I forgot to add both lost their mother at an early age which may have influenced both of them getting into music.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:03 PM   #5
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
the difference is that Bono is making a difference in cold, hard, concrete terms.

still, he'll never have the cultural impact that Lennon had. no one ever will.

Good points. I agree with the first one.

The second one, I used to think that as well, but consider than Lennon (tragically) was killed in the midst of his life's work, and a lot of his influence has been post-humous.

Bono on the other hand will likely live a long life, and his career has already been longer than Lennon's. The impact Bono will have post-humously still remains to be seen (and will hopefully not be seen for a long time).

Pop musicians still seem to have even more impact post-humously than during their life- imho, this has contributed to the legend of Lennon, similar to the legend of Kennedy, etc.

Bono's impact will be felt for a long long time, and as he is still alive and creating music, we can consider that it has truly just begun... ;-)
Old 07-12-2007, 03:47 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: Bono: John Lennon's heir ?

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
So what do you think: is Bono the legitimate heir to Lennon ?
Since "legitimate" means legal or lawful, then I'd have to say no.
Artistically or spiritually, maybe.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:56 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:18 AM

Quote:

Speaking to the Rolling Stone Bono said: “Yoko came up to me when I was in my twenties, and she put her hand on me and she said, 'You are John's son.' What an amazing compliment!”
Poor Julian Lennon.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:23 PM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 10:18 AM
I think Bono and The Edge are the Lennon and McCartney of our time, from a musical standpoint.

There are a bunch of differences between Bono and Lennon, though.

Bono's politics have evolved into working with the establishment as much as challenging them, while no one could ever say that Lennon embraced the establishment.

I also think Lennon's early death has encapsulated him in a way that Bono will not be. He still has a good third of his body of work ahead of him, assuming his voice holds out, and even if it doesn't, he can focus on activism and writing without having to sing.

Will they make tribute albums for causes with U2 music sometime down the road, i.e. Mika sings The Fly? Not sure about that.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:26 PM   #9
War Child

There are already quite a few U2 tribute albums out there- I've seen them in the following genres (no joke) - alt-rock, reggae, bluegrass, classical, instrumental children's lullabies, not to mention covers that already exist of Streets, One, Stay, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride (just off the top of my head)
Old 07-12-2007, 04:40 PM   #10
War Child

Quote:

That's awesome- never heard that before. ;-)

(I think John Lennon could have more than two sons, (Julian and Sean), right?)
Old 07-12-2007, 04:41 PM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: Re: Bono: John Lennon's heir ?

Quote:
Originally posted by david

Poor Julian Lennon.
And Sean Lennon, too--at least she just said "you are John's son", not John's heir!
Old 07-12-2007, 04:51 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Although not alive at the time, I think a slight majority of the world's music-listening population didn't loathe John the way they do Bono.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:10 PM   #13
Refugee

Richard Nixon wasn't too fond of Lennon.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:36 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by silvrlvr

Will they make tribute albums for causes with U2 music sometime down the road, i.e. Mika sings The Fly? Not sure about that.
http://www.inthenameoflovecd.com/ I'm thinking so...

Yeah I suppose you could say Bono is a modern day Lennon. And as Irvine said, Bono has gotten more of a difference in concrete terms, but he (or probably anyone) will never match the cultural impact of Lennon - in fact, I doubt Bono would have become such an activist if Lennon was not one of his heroes. Still, I think/hope Bono has inspired a lot of people to become active
Old 07-12-2007, 05:48 PM   #15
The Fly

Local Time: 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dr. zooeuss
I
I keep wondering whether Bono will ever say "we're bigger than the Beatles" as a jab at Lennon who once said the Beatles were "Bigger than Jesus"- but I think perhaps Bono has too much respect for the Fab Four to say that... then again, catch him in a joking mood... ;-)
On the HBO special w/Dave Stewart Bono said that he believes that U2 is giving the Beatles a run or something to that effect that they are equals or U2 even surpasses the Beatles. (I forget the exact quote at the moment.) Gasps from the audience... the audacity. I think he was serious, and I would agree with him.

So I do think that Bono and Lennon are at least equals: in talent, charisma, activism, and cultural impact.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:40 PM   #16
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicBono

http://www.inthenameoflovecd.com/ I'm thinking so...
I hadn't seen this album, thanks for pointing it out.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:53 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally posted by silvrlvr
I think Bono and The Edge are the Lennon and McCartney of our time, from a musical standpoint.
Wait. Lennon and McCartney were both great individual songwriters who were talented enough to have solo careers. Bono and The Edge are not great individual songwriters. Neither could be have solo careers. To suggest that they are the modern day Lennon and McCartney is simply absurd from that perspective.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:11 PM   #18
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by cstar

On the HBO special w/Dave Stewart Bono said that he believes that U2 is giving the Beatles a run or something to that effect that they are equals or U2 even surpasses the Beatles. (I forget the exact quote at the moment.) Gasps from the audience... the audacity. I think he was serious, and I would agree with him.

So I do think that Bono and Lennon are at least equals: in talent, charisma, activism, and cultural impact.
He said, very cheekily, "But I think we have them on the run." After the audience reaction he grinned. I think he was either testing the waters or just stirring shit up as usual.

Dana
Old 07-12-2007, 09:30 PM   #19
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

Wait. Lennon and McCartney were both great individual songwriters who were talented enough to have solo careers. Bono and The Edge are not great individual songwriters. Neither could be have solo careers. To suggest that they are the modern day Lennon and McCartney is simply absurd from that perspective.
Yep. Good point. On the flipside though, this has allowed them to stay intact for 30+ years, and to do things the Beatles couldn't do as a result.

There will always be differences, but in terms of speaking for a generation, and creating//reflecting the cultural changes of their time, U2 do seem the Beatles' heir.

Perhaps it is more accurate to say U2 is the heir of the Beatles than to say Bono is the heir of Lennon. But Lennon and Bono both have that starpower-charisma that there only seems to be enough room for once each generation. ;-)

As much as I love Edge, it's hard to justify comparing him to McCartney.

In other ways, U2 could be considered heirs' to the Stones: the Bono-Edge relationship is closer to Jagger-Richards than it is to Lennon-McCartney. And I think U2 beat out the Stones though for relevance and integrity.

But the Stones still have them on longevity, despite having pretty much dissolved at one point, which U2 have never done... only time will tell if U2 can span more years than the Stones have done...
Old 07-12-2007, 09:38 PM   #20
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by rihannsu

He said, very cheekily, "But I think we have them on the run." After the audience reaction he grinned. I think he was either testing the waters or just stirring shit up as usual.

Dana
As much as I will probably always prefer U2 to the Beatles, having grown up with U2, and the Beatles being before my time- sometimes I feel there is something the Beatles have//had that U2 still haven't really put their finger on...

it's hard to put into words, but there's a sense of carefree joy to some of the Beatles' music that I don't see that often in U2's catalog.

The Beatles' also seemed to push more envelopes, and incorporate a wider array of instruments and arrangements- the sitar, strings, horns, orchestras, etc... Yes, U2 have done a few isolated horn and string arrangements and experimented with techno// electronica, but it seemed more of an "add-on" than the band members really taking it on and making it part of their sound in the way that the Beatles seemed to... does that make sense?

...part of me feels like a "traitor U2 fan" for saying that, but I've always kind of thought/ felt it- is there anyone out there that agrees with this? Just wondering...