BONO IS UNDER ATTACK!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_LeMon

Refugee
I just wonder on people, who has so many freetime to write such SHITZ! I know I know, it's her opinion, but the world would be more beautiful, if her highness just simply try to GET A JOB!

grrr2.gif
http://understandishable.org/2002_03_01_archive.html#10913882

------------------
"I'm the BIGGEST U2 fan in the WORLD!" - LeMon
"I know..." - Bono

http://limelight.pcdome.hu

I couldn't resist this one...

Often I ignore these threads, but this woman and the complete morons that replied to her post, got the better of me. I ripped her off a nasty e-mail and posted some comments in that section ("JJH" is me). It might not do any good, but I felt better.
biggrin.gif

Wow, someone has a healthy sense of "self" going on there. Self being the key word here, I wouldn't take anything she said seriously though. Her entire website is basically a tribute to her own "coolness" and obviously in her circle, hating Bono is the cool thing to do. Did you see how long her "all about me" section is? I wonder how many times the words "me" and "I" appear on that site. What a bunch of bull.

Wow she is ignorant, Bono never said U2 was punk, he just said they went about things using the "punk mentality". Bono always wears sunglasses indoors? AREN'T THEY PRESCRIPTION GLASSES???

You people need to email her and set her straight.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by Mr_LeMon:
I just wonder on people, who has so many freetime to write such SHITZ! I know I know, it's her opinion, but the world would be more beautiful, if her highness just simply try to GET A JOB!

grrr2.gif
http://understandishable.org/2002_03_01_archive.html#10913882

LMAO!!!!! Where the hell did you find that website?

I actually find it quite funny. Out of all the recent Bono and U2 criticism that I have read, this was the least degrading. She has a point on some of the things that she pointed out like:
Bono not sitting up straight. My neighbor, who likes U2 but dislikes Bono, pointed this out to me and I told him that he is reading into him way too much.
The American flag thing: I thought that he went overboard with it. I mean, the SB performance was great and most people that I have spoken to and heard in the media loved it. Why pull out the flag? It seemed cheesy and fake.
She points out that she is not a music writer and that this is just her spouting off--that says a lot about a person's humility, which is attractive(although she is not). I am surprised that she doesn't like U2 since many REM fans also like U2.

I also am tired of the f----ing glasses. Take 'em off, dude! They are pretentious and ridiculous.

The other stuff is silly and nonsensible. She doesn't even have her facts straight: flavor of the week charity? Is she serious. He is actually one of the only celebrities that is intelligent about his charitable contributions. He also NEVER has mentioned any personal donations. In fact, he usually gets criticized for not giving his own money. I am sure he gives his own money. Besides, his time and effort is more effective anyway.

However, She also mentions several other quality artists that I like(REM, Morrisey) so that got me on her good side. Besides, lets not forget that Bono has had a ubiquitous presence in the media recently and when that happens, you are considered annoying--no matter who you are. He is an easy target. He realizes that and so should we.

i signed her guestbook and in the section where it said how can she kill mariah carey or something i said "get her to read your site" and guess what...my guestbook entry is gone!
tongue.gif

It sucks that someone had to send her hate mail that was stupid, so of course she posted the stupid hate mail over the intelligent mail that I assume most of you guys sent her, thus making herself still look good.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

I guess she can dish it out but can't take it...

The rant I wrote on Bono has been temporarily taken down due the the hate mail I was getting. It's not because I can't handle said hate mail - to the contrary, I was actually sort of enjoying laughing at it - but the strain on my server was showing.

Originally posted by Bono's American Wife:
I guess she can dish it out but can't take it...

The rant I wrote on Bono has been temporarily taken down due the the hate mail I was getting. It's not because I can't handle said hate mail - to the contrary, I was actually sort of enjoying laughing at it - but the strain on my server was showing.

If she had real journalistic pride she'd had left it up, sticking by what she said. Her taking down her rant was stupid, and just showed she caved.

She should have left it up, and then followed it up with a good article about the email she got about, hopefully showing that she might of learned something from the emails she got. Because obviously she didn't seem too educated about certain aspects of Bono and U2. I know a lot of you sent her email's hopefully correcting her and setting her straight.

Bleh. Oh well who cares.

------------------

Originally posted by david:
If she had real journalistic pride she'd had left it up, sticking by what she said. Her taking down her rant was stupid, and just showed she caved.

She should have left it up, and then followed it up with a good article about the email she got about, hopefully showing that she might of learned something from the emails she got. Because obviously she didn't seem too educated about certain aspects of Bono and U2. I know a lot of you sent her email's hopefully correcting her and setting her straight.

Bleh. Oh well who cares.

Excellent point made by a fellow Southern Californian!

From her rant:

"Bono likes to go off about how U2 are a "punk band" and how they continue to "fuck up the mainstream". Um, hello Bono - U2 IS THE VERY DEFINITION OF MAINSTREAM. You are what they call an "arena rock" band, and while I have no qualms with arena rock (my favorite band is R.E.M., after all) it is about as far from being "punk" as you can get. YOU PLAYED THE DAMN SUPER BOWL HALFTIME SHOW, DORK. Any romantic notions you've had about U2 being a "punk band" should have stopped once you started getting play on adult contemporary radio stations."

LMFAO!! Actually, I think this is funny, and hell, there is some truth to it.

As for the bit about U2 thinking they're punk, I agree with david in that Bono has, to my knowledge, never stated that. He has said that U2 "came out of punk," but that's not quite the same as saying they are punk.

Bottom line, U2 started out as college radio material and they evolved into a mainstream band, but I don't care and I enjoy their fucking music.

I wrote to her and she responded, but I didn't even fully read her reply. I felt bad because I threw in some insults that were mocking her in the same fashion that she mocked others on her web site. And although the insults were meant as little jabs, they were unnecessary and hurtful. More importantly, they detracted from my point.

So I wrote her an apology for my crass comments. However, I stated that my overall point remained.

I don't care if people hate U2. I don't care if people hate Bono. If that's all she wrote on her site, I wouldn't have even blinked. What irked me though is her mocking of Bono's actions. Debt Relief may not be the perfect answer and Bono may not (or should not) be the man to crusade its cause - however, our wonderful politicians were doing nothing (seemingly content to let an entire continent die) and no one has provided an alternative. Raising $200 million in charity is great - but not when that much is sent each month (week!) just to pay interest on past loans.

And it's her mocking of Bono's very important work that irked me. However, I've felt this way for some time. I've criticized people in this forum who mock Bono's work as well. Bono is not trying to "save the world" - he never made that proclamation. TIME magazine did so that they could sell more magazines. But he is trying to make a difference in our world, which is more than I can say for most of us. So don't dare mock this man for doing something no one else would!

Ohh, I first read about that site on U2log.com, but I never had the chance to read it... huh. But this is what U2log put on their site recently:

April 17, 2002
Side Swipe | www | chris - 09:47 PM | (16).
April at Understandishable has written a hilariously excoriating attack on Bono. It's even got a diagram (to accompany the memorable quote "It's like he's too cool to stand up straight or something"). We nearly peed we were laughing so hard...

(The usual standards of human decency apply -- please do not flame her for having an opinion which differs from your own. We shouldn't have to say that, you know.) ( And thanks, Kevin.)

UPDATE: This piece is no longer available because apparently, we cannot trust our audience to act like reasonable adults.

[This message has been edited by mocool12 (edited 04-17-2002).]

Originally posted by pub crawler:
From her rant:

"Bono likes to go off about how U2 are a "punk band" and how they continue to "fuck up the mainstream". Um, hello Bono - U2 IS THE VERY DEFINITION OF MAINSTREAM. You are what they call an "arena rock" band, and while I have no qualms with arena rock (my favorite band is R.E.M., after all) it is about as far from being "punk" as you can get. YOU PLAYED THE DAMN SUPER BOWL HALFTIME SHOW, DORK. Any romantic notions you've had about U2 being a "punk band" should have stopped once you started getting play on adult contemporary radio stations."

Heh, this is funny. So she took an apparently non-existant quote and something that Bono said, like, seven years ago, and spun a whole paragraph from that. Now that's deep.

It's a shame that some people couldn't think of anything except abusive name-calling. Although I must say that people who complain about their right to an opinion often miss out on one thing: people aren't necessarily offended by the fact that other people dislike someone or something, but rather by the way this dislike is put into words. If you demand intelligent replies to your article, how about -writing- an intelligent article without name-calling, exaggerations and USING CAPS?

[This message has been edited by Saracene (edited 04-18-2002).]

I didn't like the fact that she kept implying that if you are in a ROCK BAND you shouldn't be doing anything good for the world.
confused.gif

The not standing up straight part was the only thing that made me laugh, well laugh is a strong word, how about grin.

I am late in reading the original article since it's been taken down, however I did read the comments that were posted on her site. The last comment that April made was that U2 fans were phsyco. I find that very offensive, since I am a U2 fan, and don't think I am physco, as is anyone else on this board.

Very strange.

Originally posted by pub crawler:
"Bono likes to go off about how U2 are a "punk band" and how they continue to "fuck up the mainstream".
it seems that she is confusing Bono with 95% of U2's fans

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Personally, I never responded to her article..but her posts on u2log really irritated me. What a pathetic example of journalism to go on a fansite crying about people flaming you AFTER about writing a cruel piece about another human....I didn't participate in it myself...but if she wants to put out the heat...she better be ready to take it...

Back
Top Bottom