Bono is the __ Greatest Pop Culture Icon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catman

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Okay, for those who want this to be a "surprise" or whatever (who would actually want to sit through that entire thing, though?), stop reading. Bono is the...

73rd!!!!! :dance:

greatest pop culture icon! Not bad considering who all they included on the list. He's a few notches ahead of Bugs Bunny :eeklaugh: but also right behind Jay Leno :eyebrow:

Yeah, well that's it. Thought some of you might be interested in this. Here's the section of the list where Bono is included...

http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/the_gr...s/ranked_list/61_80_aux.jhtml&event_id=865267

Heheh, you can see his illustration by clicking on the camera icon to the right of his name. He's one snazzy lookin' individual :bono:

This is still a crazy :crazy: list. Typical VH1 s***. Not just because of who is ahead of Bono, *and what about U2* Sometimes I think they just put all the tabloid names in a hat and start drawing.:eeklaugh:

Last edited:
I just checked out the section on the VH1 site where they name their Top 20 Pop Cultural Icons. I suggest those of you who have weak stomachs not read further...

Britney Spears and Jennifer Lopez made the Top 20.

:barf:

And the Beatles didn't even make the Top 10 - although at least they did beat both Brittney and J-Lo.

Oh, well, at least now that I know where Bono is ranked I can just watch Thursday night's show and skip the rest. And even that is kind of spoiled for me because I'm mad they didn't name U2 as an icon and not just Bono. :censored: VH-1.

73??? Geeez, I was at least expecting him to be somewhere around 30. At LEAST. Ah well. He's number 1 on my list. :sexywink:

I was watching a segment about this list on Dateline this past Sunday.

They were discussing the criteria that was used to determine the people from the list. For example, the one name identification, i.e. Madonna, Oprah, Cher, etc.

One of the other criteria used was the "Six degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon". They proceeded to identify the six degrees of separation for the top ten people on the list. I'm really interested to see what they are for Bono.

1. Oprah Winfrey

OH MY GOD, ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? THAT'S HILARIOUS.

But wait, it gets better:

12. The Beatles
11. Friends Cast

Frankly, they have a lot of nerve to even pretend to have any credibility anymore.

Last edited:
Crud! I can't believe I missed it! Guess I'll have to catch it tomorrow...

*grumble/grumble*

Oh well. Did anyone manage to see it?

Yeah, I watched it. Bono was talked about with his band mates U2. thanks for the mention of the other lads VH1. Lisa Marie said he's like looking at Jesus or something when he's on stage. It went on to show brief snippets on his work in Ireland and Africa, but really in a minute or 2 it's hard to sum up Bono. There is some about the mullet Bono, Sunday Bloody Sunday, the Fly and Elevation and of course ATYCLB. I would have to see it again to have it stick in my mind any better. Went by in about 2 min. It's like a flash back, all be it a good one. Oh and Ricky Martin said something really nice, along with counting crow's "whats his name" but I just wanted them to get back to the clips and music. He's also on a clip at I think -# 84 - with Bill Gates. Bono is sitting next to Bill and Gates is saying "Bono and I are trying to bring awareness to Africa" something like that. Sorry, I guess being a commentator wasn't in my past or future. Took me longer to type this than the segment lasted. and finally I've heard 4 short blips of U2 music used as background on other segments. The sweetest thing - seems to be the most popular & beautiful day. It's hard to watch any more. It will (I guess)be repeated, most likely tomorrow night at 8 eastern. I'll watch for U2/Bono, but that's it for me.

sue4u2 said:
Yeah, I watched it. Bono was talked about with his band mates U2. thanks for the mention of the other lads VH1. Lisa Marie said he's like looking at Jesus or something when he's on stage. It went on to show brief snippets on his work in Ireland and Africa, but really in a minute or 2 it's hard to sum up Bono. There is some about the mullet Bono, Sunday Bloody Sunday, the Fly and Elevation and of course ATYCLB. I would have to see it again to have it stick in my mind any better. Went by in about 2 min. It's like a flash back, all be it a good one. Oh and Ricky Martin said something really nice, along with counting crow's "whats his name" but I just wanted them to get back to the clips and music. He's also on a clip at I think -# 84 - with Bill Gates. Bono is sitting next to Bill and Gates is saying "Bono and I are trying to bring awareness to Africa" something like that. Sorry, I guess being a commentator wasn't in my past or future. Took me longer to type this than the segment lasted. and finally I've heard 4 short blips of U2 music used as background on other segments. The sweetest thing - seems to be the most popular & beautiful day. It's hard to watch any more. It will (I guess)be repeated, most likely tomorrow night at 8 eastern. I'll watch for U2/Bono, but that's it for me.

Yep. It was a nice little segment, though.

typhoon, I know...sorry, but the Beatles beat out the "Friends" cast any day. The Beatles should be #1 on the list. Either them or Elvis.

Angela

Headache in a Suitcase said:
the fact that they put leno higher than letterman is just a joke. sure, leno gets higher ratings... but come on... who's the icon and who's just a host?
so? i honestly don't see how either is more iconic than the other. i know most find leno more endearing than letterman, he's entirely too cocky and rude for my tastes. but if i were to watch one late night talk show, it'd be conan, so...

typhoon said:
1. Oprah Winfrey

OH MY GOD, ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? THAT'S HILARIOUS.

But wait, it gets better:

12. The Beatles
11. Friends Cast

Frankly, they have a lot of nerve to even pretend to have any credibility anymore.

Seeing as though Oprah single handedly transformed daytime television, built an empire, and.. i believe is the richest woman in the world (again).... who in 'pop society' doesnt know who 'oprah' is?

Also, The Beatles will always have credibility - thats entirely different argument though. As for the 'Friends', I agree.. that is laughable.

KhanadaRhodes said:

i know most find leno more endearing than letterman, he's entirely too cocky and rude for my tastes.

Exactly. Letterman has gotten lazy and more rude as a host in recent years. He was brilliant for a long time, but seems to have lost his passion. True, Leno is no vanguard, but he is the nicest guy and never comes across as an egomaniac that Letterman does. But, that's just my .02, and it really depends on what you want in a late night host.

we're just getting vh1

i think the cable broadcasters are placing a vh1 timeslot on mtv

behind the music, classic rock, and soul vibration

about two-three hours of programming a day

possibly the best thing on mtv next to alternative nation, to be fairly honest

edit: and they forgot the manic street preachers. :down:

Last edited:
HelloAngel said:

Exactly. Letterman has gotten lazy and more rude as a host in recent years. He was brilliant for a long time, but seems to have lost his passion. True, Leno is no vanguard, but he is the nicest guy and never comes across as an egomaniac that Letterman does. But, that's just my .02, and it really depends on what you want in a late night host.

Ahhhhh.... Blasphemy!! Letterman has more true wit, style, and true unique humor than Leno could ever dream of mustering. Leno is just a talking head with very little personality behind what is scripted. To me it's like the difference between listening to The White Stripes and Matchbox 20. Sure Matchbox 20 is friendly and safe, but who is more exciting and less predictable.

And who has all the best bands? Letterman my friends. Just the two shows I saw this week he had Eels and Fountains of Wayne.

womanfish said:

Ahhhhh.... Blasphemy!! Letterman has more true wit, style, and true unique humor than Leno could ever dream of mustering. Leno is just a talking head with very little personality behind what is scripted. To me it's like the difference between listening to The White Stripes and Matchbox 20. Sure Matchbox 20 is friendly and safe, but who is more exciting and less predictable.

And who has all the best bands? Letterman my friends. Just the two shows I saw this week he had Eels and Fountains of Wayne.

:yes:.

Angela

sue4u2 said:
I have to agree Moonlit_Angel, as much as I admire Opra, how can a talk show host beat out the Beatles or Elvis to be the #1 POP icon. :scratch:

No kidding--they went on and on about Elvis, but Oprah was a blip. So much for iconic.

The ranking and content of this list is so laughable, it's not even worth debating. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom