Bono is NOT God!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
shart1780 said:
Bono is just as flawed as any of us, yet so many people TREAT him like a God. He's just an Irish guy who happens to make some cool music.

I know this is hardly a serious thread, so I'm going to be a smartass and say that theologically, there's nothing wrong with treating Bono, or anyone else, like God. From a Christian perspective (hey, the original poster played the God card first, not me!), people are supposed to treat one another as incarnations of Christ. So, there's nothing wrong or crazy about treating Bono (or your girlfriend or best friend or mom) like God. :shrug:

"Bono is NOT God!"

This is a lost argument because 1) those who are simply die-hard fans & not out of touch with reality are already aware of B's mere humanness, making your point a useless statement; and 2) the ones so fanatical as to approach worshipping B are so far gone that you're never going to convince them otherwise, therefore
making your point a useless statement. :|

If anyone's already made this observation, please excuse my repeating it... it's too late & I'm too tired to read the whole damn thread. :grumpy: :wink:

I find this actually interesting, thanks for bringing it up U2Mixer.

We were discussing this as we drove down to NYC to take in the 10/8 show - insofar as the extremes people will go to to get near their idols, ie Bono and U2.

Am I guilty of it? Well to the common or non-U2 fan, seeing U2 more than a couple of times per tour may appear fanatical. Driving 8 hrs one way in a torrential rain to take in a show might appear fanatical. But to me it is not. Is following them around the country at risk of my normal life and sanity extremist? Well there I'd have to say yes.

My ears perked up when I heard someone mention the term prophet. If you read and believe in the bible, prophets of ancient days were mere imperfect humans who themselves made plenty of mistakes...sometimes they communicated directly with God, sometimes he gave them dreams, sometimes they were just inspired to write the things they did. They put their thoughts into songs as well.

Do I think Bono is a prophet? Inspired of God? That I think is a personal question, but I will say that some things that the man has written, given the extent of my knowledge of scripture, have left me feeling very spiritually uplifted, and inspired. This is true of a few other musicians and songwriters that I hold in very high regard.

Which begs the question:

Assuming you believe these things, can a musician be a prophet? Why or why not? In a world which seems these days to be so devoid of real spiritual inspiration from the usual sources (ie, church leaders), who's to say God wouldn't use a musician?

I'm not hoping to start a huge war or debate, just wondering people's thoughts or if theyve even considered it?

Discuss?

So...this has all boiled down to the question: Is Bono God or is he "just" a prophet?

:lmao:

He's neither. End of thread.

Let the people who think Bono is God think that. If they want to live their lives in his shadows then no one has the right to stop them. Those who worship are just as normal as you or I, they are just closer to Bono in their minds. If it makes them happy, then good on them I say.

MsGiggles said:

I think getting yelled at by Bono at a concert is no big deal and you're right...move on. BUT if he talked to me like that in a pub...I'd have to take him outside.

For some, I get a little upset if I get yelled at. I had a stepfather who yelled alot, so it's not something some people just, shake off.

Bono or not, I would've been upset had that happened to me.

++++++

Bono is a psalmist, not so much a prophet.

starsgoblue said:
....And on another episode of "As Interference Turns".....

omg stars:lmao:

*tears

its so true:love: Drama:love:

Bono's NOT GOD:shocked: Jesus CHRIST! call CNN thats news to me:shocked:

:whistle:

gabrielvox said:
I find this actually interesting, thanks for bringing it up U2Mixer.

We were discussing this as we drove down to NYC to take in the 10/8 show - insofar as the extremes people will go to to get near their idols, ie Bono and U2.

Am I guilty of it? Well to the common or non-U2 fan, seeing U2 more than a couple of times per tour may appear fanatical. Driving 8 hrs one way in a torrential rain to take in a show might appear fanatical. But to me it is not. Is following them around the country at risk of my normal life and sanity extremist? Well there I'd have to say yes.

My ears perked up when I heard someone mention the term prophet. If you read and believe in the bible, prophets of ancient days were mere imperfect humans who themselves made plenty of mistakes...sometimes they communicated directly with God, sometimes he gave them dreams, sometimes they were just inspired to write the things they did. They put their thoughts into songs as well.

Do I think Bono is a prophet? Inspired of God? That I think is a personal question, but I will say that some things that the man has written, given the extent of my knowledge of scripture, have left me feeling very spiritually uplifted, and inspired. This is true of a few other musicians and songwriters that I hold in very high regard.

Which begs the question:

Assuming you believe these things, can a musician be a prophet? Why or why not? In a world which seems these days to be so devoid of real spiritual inspiration from the usual sources (ie, church leaders), who's to say God wouldn't use a musician?

I'm not hoping to start a huge war or debate, just wondering people's thoughts or if theyve even considered it?

Discuss?

Very well written gabrielvox. Lots to think about here. I have always found Bono's ability to bring religion "out" without being preachy to be admirable. Maybe what you have said gives an explanation for that ability.
Something to ponder- I like it.

And I want one of those "What Would Bono Do" bracelets if for nothing more than the joke of it.

gabrielvox said:

I'll tell you what, when you get appointed moderator, which will be....NEVER....then you can dictate when the thread ends.

I tell you what, even though I'm not a mod, I can post my opinion here :)

And hey! I can tell you another thing, too. When you get appointed administrator, which will be....NEVER....then you can dictate who will be appointed moderator and who won't :happy:

Last edited:
OK my 2 cents...

Bono's definitely not God. But, he is a gift from Him! Thank you, God, for giving us people like Bono (and Edge, Adam and Larry), who give us such pleasure! All the earthquakes, hurricanes, tsunamis and shit going on out there right now...We need it!

U2Man said:

I tell you what, even though I'm not a mod, I can post my opinion here :)

And hey! I can tell you another thing, too. When you get appointed administrator, which will be....NEVER....then you can dictate who will be appointed moderator and who won't :happy:

Haha, nice try - youre the one who tried to end the thread, even though you don't have the privilege to do so.

Keep seeking and you may find something to add to the conversation.

:wave: bye bye :wave:

Last edited:
gabrielvox said:

Haha, nice try - youre the one who tried to end the thread, even though you don't have the privilege to do so.

Keep seeking and you may find something to add to the conversation.

:wave: bye bye :wave:

Right.

I'll check in later, around page 30, when you have definitively determined whether Bono is a prophet or not. This should be exciting. :up: :wave:

U2Man - instead of mocking other's posts, why don't you add something that indicates you have another side to you, one that actuallly is capable of reasoned thought and conversation?

Unless....nevermind...

One time my mom went crazy and thought she, along with me, Bono, and four other people, were the "7" destined to...what was it, prepare for the second coming of Jesus and save the world or something? I don't remember exactly, I've kinda blocked it out of my head because it was a really fucked up time and basically destroyed whatever religion I once had. But she thought God was talking to her and giving her all the money in the world to like save all the people in poverty and stuff. Sounds nice 'til we're suddenly overdrawn by thousands of dollars and mom's in the mental hospital.

So yeah, I guess Bono wasn't some special chosen one like we thought. :sad:

Back
Top Bottom