Bono in the Wall Street Journal Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brimcart

The Fly
Just FYI: I was reading through the Wall Street Journal this morning and saw an article on Bono's efforts to help developing nations.

The article's headline is "Bono-think" and it is located on page A18. Check it out.

sharky said:
yeah, my company actually did something right for once.

huh? it was a terribly off-target editorial. Until they acknowledge that trade alone won't save tens/hundreds of millions of Africans (a tune the WSJ and most conservatives have sung since the beginning of time) they will not have understood the depth and breadth of the issue.

Last edited:
Eazzzzy Mug.
You have to work w/these Republicans..gentle now.;)
I know EXPEIENDANCY is needed though..however I see great strides being made by my party and for the right reasons.
I like YOU, wish it were quicker though..:):mad:
:)

DB9

I'm just growing increasingly pessimistic now...What I once mistook for progress from the Bush administration I see now as token gestures that mean little, and hardly represent a move towards what is actually needed. An emergency appropriations bill in Congress a few weeks ago called for $500 million more in funds this year for HIV/AIDS. While this number already is far too small, congress and the white house whittled it down further, to $300 million OVER 3 YEARS! In other words, $100 million, which will accomplish nothing.

And new reports/rumors/speculation indicate that Bush will NOT (as was once believed) announce more funding for health in Africa at the Johannesburg summit on sustainable development in August.

What the hell is this country doing? Can we really be this callous?

mug222 said:
I'm just growing increasingly pessimistic now...What I once mistook for progress from the Bush administration I see now as token gestures that mean little, and hardly represent a move towards what is actually needed. An emergency appropriations bill in Congress a few weeks ago called for $500 million more in funds this year for HIV/AIDS. While this number already is far too small, congress and the white house whittled it down further, to $300 million OVER 3 YEARS! In other words, $100 million, which will accomplish nothing.

And new reports/rumors/speculation indicate that Bush will NOT (as was once believed) announce more funding for health in Africa at the Johannesburg summit on sustainable development in August.

What the hell is this country doing? Can we really be this callous?

This pisses me off, too! Yeah, I know you've got to play games, especially when you're dealing with Republicans. But holy smokes, this is getting to be inexcusably unrealistic behavior from the Administration. We do need fair trade but they just passed that stupid subsidy farm bill! :madspit: :madspit: Our government is doing everything wrong!:madspit: :madspit:

I just wrote my Senators, both of whom voted against the Durbin-Specter Amendment, and told them I was disappointed with their votes. If you haven't written letters or made phone calls do so! The politicians will only act under pressure!

Back
Top Bottom