Bono in an "Bukowski:Born into this"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoney!

ONE love, blood, life
There is a documentary coming out (released in 2003) on the drunken beat poet Charles Bukowski. Bono was in the preview I saw Saturday night, reading some of Bukowsi's work. He is also quoted in the "production notes (this may be in the movie):

"Our pop culture tells us, go ahead eat another McDonald's hamburger, go to the mall, everything's all right. But everything is not all right. That's the message of rock music. And it's Bukowski's message, too."
? Bono, musician

Not very profound. I guess Bono is someone people turn to now as a poetry/pop culture expert. :shrug:

forget about bono.

let's talk about bukowski instead.

i'm a huge fan of bukowski's work.

anyone else? anyone? anyone?

There's a bar in boston I've been to called Bukowski's. $1.69 hamburgers before 8pm and a beer wheel. :up: Plus pictures of Bukowski on the wall, who looks kinda :yikes:

martha said:
He's in it for about 8 to ten minutes, spread over three segments. Go look in the news section, zone.

I rarely go into the U2 parts of this website anymore. :shrug:

Is EYKIW reserved just for album/video/song/band member/fan "survivor" contests and "which is your favorite {insert list above}" conversations now? :shrug:

Now I remeber why I don't come in here.

bonosgirl84 said:
forget about bono.

let's talk about bukowski instead.

i'm a huge fan of bukowski's work.

anyone else? anyone? anyone?

I love Bukowski, I first got into him in my second year of uni back in 97 by way of a friend. She gave me his book 'Dangling in the tournefornica (sp?)' and I loved his irreverant writing style. Women is probably my favourite novel. The best way to describe that novel is, poet tries to write poetry, smokes, gets drunk and has dysfunctional relationships with women. Dosnt sound that great when said like that, but gee, it is a great book.

Its funny, over the years I've tried reading other 'beat' authors, like Kerouac and Ginsberg but I never really got into them, where as Bukowski, I really liked. My favourite quote from the guy is one that a friend of mine had, I have no idea where he got it from. The photo shows a black and white pic of Bukowski from later in his life and hanging off his arm is a trashy looking woman, they are both smoking cigarettes and have drinks in their hands. Bukowski has a big gut and a sinister grin on his face and the woman is wearing fish-net stockings, short shorts and is really thin. The quote underneath says "some people never go crazy, what horribly boring lives they must lead!"

I just love that quote, what a great man:wink:

"Women" is one of my favorite books ever, along with On The Road, Catcher In The Rye and The Sun Also Rises.....very very quick reading

Back
Top Bottom