Bono: "I think there will be another record in 2006"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono knows they might be in the twilight of their careers. They certainly don't want to go out with a whimper. Every time the tour ends and the machine shuts down, it must get harder to start back up again with each passing year. So the best way to counter that cycle is to do something while their energy is still up. Touring really gets their engines revving, so another Zooropa sounds totally doable to me. Plus, Mercy was the last recorded song considered for the album. Fast Cars also has a solo Lillywhite production credit, so it was probably created during the later sessions too. This tells me they are already exploring new directions and heavier material...just like Zooropa.

In my opinion, it's more likely that there WON'T be another album than seeing one as late as 2008. This album would have been finished sooner if not for Chris Thomas and the band being a less-than-perfect fit. If they stick with Lillywhite and maybe bring in Eno for some strategies, there's no reason this can't come out a year and half later just like Zooropa and AB. Summer 2006 gets my vote as well.

laz

As much as I love Bono, DO NOT LISTEN TO HIM! :wink: He said before both of the last records that they both would be "rock" records. You see how that turned out! Although, if it was 2006 I'd vote for a live record with a few new songs mixed in. Haven't seen a live record in awhile.

lazarus said:
Bono knows they might be in the twilight of their careers. They certainly don't want to go out with a whimper. Every time the tour ends and the machine shuts down, it must get harder to start back up again with each passing year. So the best way to counter that cycle is to do something while their energy is still up. Touring really gets their engines revving, so another Zooropa sounds totally doable to me. Plus, Mercy was the last recorded song considered for the album. Fast Cars also has a solo Lillywhite production credit, so it was probably created during the later sessions too. This tells me they are already exploring new directions and heavier material...just like Zooropa.

In my opinion, it's more likely that there WON'T be another album than seeing one as late as 2008. This album would have been finished sooner if not for Chris Thomas and the band being a less-than-perfect fit. If they stick with Lillywhite and maybe bring in Eno for some strategies, there's no reason this can't come out a year and half later just like Zooropa and AB. Summer 2006 gets my vote as well.

laz

Yes, I agree with your logic completely. Bono may be everyone's favorite BSer, but I for one think this makes sense more than ever.

I hope they do a REALLY raw album next time around, like the HTDAAB demos, that would be really cool, and inclusion of Mercy, and Xanax and Wine would make it perfect, lol, wishful thinking????????????????

:wink:

innocent_eyes said:
I hope they do a REALLY raw album next time around, like the HTDAAB demos, that would be really cool, and inclusion of Mercy, and Xanax and Wine would make it perfect, lol, wishful thinking????????????????

:wink:

:up:

after htdaab, a "quick" alternative, non-blockbuster album, in the way of zooropa or passengers would be perfect.

u2 don't know it, but they are the best band ever making soundtracking & atmospheric songs. they should give us more of that.

beau2ifulday said:

They wouldn't necessarily have to tour the album though - well, not on the scale that they usually do. This is the thing with U2 - they 'are' a live band, so it's no surprise that they'r so knackered after intense year long tours.
I'd be quite happy to have an album and no tour - let them have a break for a while from all of that kerfuffle.

I was thinking they'd do a short club tour - few monts - around the world, which would cut down the expenses and increase the playing around with the setlist.

anyone who believes in the possibility of a new album in 2006:

I've got a bridge in brooklyn to sell you.

Back
Top Bottom