Bono Headlining American Idol Charity Show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
last unicorn said:
I thought his last appearance was rather decent. IMO it was clear that he tried to keep his distance and didn't get too involved in the whole show. Bono is smart, he knows how to reach a big audience and AI has big ratings, it's one of the most popular shows, aimed at a younger audience. I don't think we'll see him performing. And he's too nice to be in the jury. :wink:

I agree with you!

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Bono's done more in the last 7 years that he did in all of the 80's and 90's as far as activism is concerned. U2 raised a lot of money in the 80's and 90's and brought a lot of attention to causes, but nothing compared to the education and actually getting politicians to listen to them like in recent years.

I really have no problem with Bono's activism and in fact i applaud his efforts. I think its just time to make the record and let it wow people before he/they do another american idol show.

ybab gnuthca said:
YES. Now he definitely needs to do Big Brother too. And Survivor.

what about "the salon"? He could get a new "do"...

or "how clean is your house"? Maybe they could come and see how much fecal bacteria is in the studio...

or "wife swap"? He could swap with The Edge for a week...

or "what not to wear"? They could ask why he has thumb holes in his new jacket...

I'd like to see him on "Dancing on Ice", but that's just me...

There was a program on here called "Fuck Me! I'm Small" recently too...

They could all get him exposure...

Last edited:
cheap awful television that rips people off by charging them £1 a vote is somewhat indicative of what is wrong with the Western world.
Actually American Idol rips people off for free.

:wink:

misfit toys said:

Actually American Idol rips people off for free.

really? we had loads of controversy over here recently when it was shown that lots of these premium phone numbers were ripping people off.

when AI is shown over here they blur out the strategically placed bottles of Coke? that seem to be on display to the American audience. Lovely product placement!

american idol :|

i seriously love how bono used the show like that, pure genius. exactly why i love the man

EdgeIsTooSexy said:
american idol :|

i seriously love how bono used the show like that, pure genius. exactly why i love the man

Most definately, after last years success of that show, how could he not come back and do something, even if he doesn't sing. (I still don't believe its going to happen, I'll believe when I see him on April 9th).

Anyway if so...

Bravo Bono!!!

macfesto said:
"We might lose some of the 'pop-kids'...but we don't need'em. " - Bono, 1992

Remember the "irony" theme? That quote was even ironic as AB contained some of U2's most pop-friendly and radio-friendly songs ever. JT was the anti-pop album (with the possible exception of "With or Without You").

U2 made pop-rock music then, they make it now.

Bono on AI? Eh, he did it last year. It appeared to have an impact. Doing it again with more celebs? Hopefully more of an impact.

doctorwho said:

Remember the "irony" theme? That quote was even ironic as AB contained some of U2's most pop-friendly and radio-friendly songs ever. JT was the anti-pop album (with the possible exception of "With or Without You").

That quote is especially ironic when you consider the question he was asked.

BDD_sellout_adam_bgjd.jpg

Hey - everyone should be happy. At least he doesn't have to feel like he should write songs that appeal to the youth (which he can't do anyway) - he can just win them over (or not) on AI and we get the really good stuff..
(i'm not referring to the young people who actually like U2 , mind you)

Hed only be selling out if he listened to mindless fools and didnt try to get his message out, hed be selling himself short of the accomplishment that can be made by going on American Idol and promoting a cause that certainly does not get enough media attention.

Regardless, you know you will watch it:)

Some of my friends hate AI, I think it funny and there is some real good talent this year@ (finally) As for last year they did raise millions of dollars so why not again?
I know that Bono never liked AI in the past, he thought it was ridiculous or something like this. But as you all know, if he sees a way to really make a difference he will adjust to the situation and go with it if it does good.
You all will watch it, you know it..:) If your a fan of his, you will. Ok ok Maybe you'll sneak a peak?? LOL
Peace

I was under the impression that he had to do it last year after they had mentioned his name when talking about Africa while advertising the upcoming special show.

I have to admit, (I'm not too proud of myself, but I am being honest) that I wish he didn't appear on AI. The show has such a huge audience, I don't think it would really make that big of a difference.

Val said:
I was under the impression that he had to do it last year after they had mentioned his name when talking about Africa while advertising the upcoming special show.

I'm sure he agreed to do the show before they announced that he would. On the first night they mentioned it on air last year, Ryan said that Bono would be taking part. They could've gotten in trouble, or at the very least, looked incredibly foolish (in the case that Bono would have declined the offer) if they had told millions of viewers that Bono would be a part of the show before they had even asked/confirmed it with him.

U2isthebest said:

I'm sure he agreed to do the show before they announced that he would. On the first night they mentioned it on air last year, Ryan said that Bono would be taking part. They could've gotten in trouble, or at the very least, looked incredibly foolish (in the case that Bono would have declined the offer) if they had told millions of viewers that Bono would be a part of the show before they had even asked/confirmed it with him.

If my memory serves me, they did not actually say that Bono would be on the show when first announcing it.

BonoVoxSupastar...I admitted I wasn't proud of my not wanting Bono to appear on AI, and added that I was just being honest. I do hope Interference is a place where we can all share our thoughts without being judged.

I think he was giving you the raised eyebrow because the bit he quoted of your post was hard to understand.

I don't understand what you were trying to say either.

I meant that AI has such a huge audience, that I think Bono not appearing on the special program really wouldn't make that big of a difference as far as funds raised. I do not think Bono's appearence on the show was a waste by any means. I just have a hard time with Bono on American Idol. Call me a rock and roll snob.

Back
Top Bottom