Bono had sinus surgery?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slapnutz

Refugee
I came across a (tabloid) article dating 1999 in the @u2 archive which suggests Bono had sinus surgery that year. Anyone know if there's any truth to this? I've never heard the b-man mention it before. Here it is anyhow:

Bono Recovers from Sinus Surgery
From The Star (Irish tabloid), February 15, 1999

U2 frontman Bono is recovering from an emergency operation which threatened his singing voice and the future of the supergroup.

Staff at Dublin's exclusive Blackrock Clinic confirmed to The Star yesterday that Bono had been a patient in the hospital last week.

The rock legend had an operation on his nose, throat and ears due to a blockage caused by severe sinus problems. However Bono's wife Ali said he is making a full recovery. "He's absolutely fine now," she said.

Bono, who is 40 next year, made his first public appearance in some time at the launch of a photo book by Perry Ogden last week.

Ogden, one of Bono's lifelong friends, is from Ballymun, Dublin where the two grew up together.

The multi-millionaire singer was determined not to let him down on the night despite being just released from hospital.

However, it is not clear if the singer spent the full four days in the Clinic which doctors normally recommend to anyone having the operation.

Last year Bono was struck down by a mysterious illness, doctors told him to give up alcohol after they discovered he was allergic to wine and aspirin.

The Blackrock Clinic is one of the most exclusive private hospitals in Ireland. Patients have included Gay Byrne and Noel Gallagher of Oasis and Ireland's top political leaders.

? 1999 The Star. All rights reserved.

I never knew that, poor Bono. I have a friend who had that same operation and he was miserable. Maybe that's why his voice was not so good in the later 90's. I'm glad he's fine now.

I'd like to know more about this sinus surgery procedure...serioiusly. I get a sinus infection once every 2-3 months. :sad:

Heartlandgirl, I'm sorry you get infections, I get one every time I get a cold. It always goes into a sinus infection. But I don't think we need surgery yet. I mean, the guy I know was BAD off. He had terrible pains, he had to squint one eye sometimes because the sinus cavities were pressing down on his eye, hurting it and sometimes blurring his vision in it! His sinuses would not drain on their own and he had lots of trouble with his ears because of it too. He was in pain and miserable so much his Mom bugged him to have surgery but he was scared. Finally he got to the point where he literally could not breathe through his nose and it was so blocked and painful he couldn't stand it. Maybe Bono reached that point too. :( Bono being a singer had to worry about damaging his voice too. I'm glad they are both okay now.

Thanks for the info, U2kitten. Someone I know had the surgery because of repeated sinus infections. I guess the next time I'm laid up with one, I'll just think of your friend. Not being able to breathe right is one of the worst feelings.

During my freshman year of college I had 3 really bad sinus infections in a row. I went to the allergist and he put me on some meds and now I'm fine. Turns out I'm REALLY allergic to dust and molds!

MEMHPIS-EVE 007 said:

Woo Hoo indeed!

:rolleyes:

(NO ofence wertsie. Sorry about your alergies!)

I think Bono`s alregies are because of his drinking and smopking habbits! I wonder if he`s still doing that.

How would they be related to smoking and drinking? I don't see the connection.

Was that a sarcastic "woo-hoo"? I'm dead serious!

I had this surgery in December because my allergies had effed up my sinuses so badly.

The surgery was not too bad (don't remember a thing). I got pnuemonia as a result of the surgery though and that was not fun.

So now I have worn Bono's coat, had the same surgery and also go by a 4 letter name. Sweet!

DiGi said:

The surgery was not too bad (don't remember a thing). I got pnuemonia as a result of the surgery though and that was not fun.

So now I have worn Bono's coat, had the same surgery and also go by a 4 letter name. Sweet!

Aw...Pneumonia sucks! I had it for two weeks in 6th grade, but on the up side, you and Bono must be kindred spirits! hehe

Actually, I think the surgery was for some structural problem, not allergies--although he does have allergies. It seems to have been a respiratory thing. But I wouldn't really know, please don't put me through head anatomy again.
:lol: :lol:

wertsie said:

How would they be related to smoking and drinking? I don't see the connection.

Was that a sarcastic "woo-hoo"? I'm dead serious!

Like I said sorry about your Alergies what I ment is that it`s NOT good thing that Bono has Alregies and last I`ve heard he developed an Alergy to Wine and other Alcoholic drinks. Also his throat problems were because of him smoing 2 much

I didn`t mean to insult you.
I wish You, Bono and EVERYONE a happy "Alergy-free" life .

I thought about something else I read about this. Bono said that he is allergic to certain enzymes in new red wines. The enzymes apparently go away with age. I don't know anything about wine since I don't even drink the stuff. So, there's your biochemistry lesson for the day. :lol: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom