Bono gives Paul a ring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoo99

Acrobat
McCartney rejects Beatles' catalogue
BANG

(BANG) - Sir Paul McCartney has no intention of buying the Beatles' back catalogue back from Michael Jackson.

Jackson recently put the song rights up for sale, but Paul claims he has no interest in them because he still gets royalties.

He revealed to America's Rolling Stone magazine: "Bono rang me up and said, 'Did you hear?! Jackson is selling the songs. You should buy them back!'

"But I get money from the publishing already and in a few years more rights will automatically be reverting to me. It's not like I'm getting nothing at the moment."

However, Paul admits he gets annoyed when he plays old Beatles songs at his concerts - and has to pay for the privilege.

He confessed: "The only annoying thing is, when I tour America I have to pay to play my own songs.

"But I don't think about that. Because if I did it would be just too annoying."

Meanwhile, the rocker has revealed wife Heather Mills doesn't know all his big hits.

He said: "Once 'Get Back' was playing somewhere. She sort of recognised my voice and said, 'Is this you?' I said, 'Yes, darling. It's called 'Get Back'. It's quite famous.'"

The Canadian Press BANG Media International

Ha! That's too bad he has to PAY to play his music he wrote!!! I guess he can afford it, though. :wink:

Sir Paul McCartney has no intention of buying the Beatles' back catalogue back from Michael Jackson.

Jackson recently put the song rights up for sale, but Paul claims he has no interest in them because he still gets royalties.

:confused: How does he get royalties if Michael Jackson bought the back catalogue?

because he's still the one who wrote them! I guess it's like a production company owning a tv show, but the (wo)man who wrote it still getting money for the work they've done?? :huh:

There are two kinds of song rights........the regular rights to the song (i.e. use for commercial license, whenever it's played on the radio you get a nickel, etc.) and the publishing rights, which go to the songwriter. The publishing rights are a separate deal, which McCartney still owns.

I can't believe that McCartney and Yoko couldn't pool their money to get the song catalogue in the first place. Even back in 1983, they must've both been filthy rich. They could've cut George, Ringo and even George Martin in on the deal too.

MrPryck2U said:
Who gets the rights if Mike kicks it?
jacko-baby-dangle-01.jpg

I think the reason Mac wont buy them from Jackson is out of anger and pride since Jackson kind of went behind Mac's back in 83 and scooped up the rights to the songs after the two had formed a friendship.

Interesting to hear that Bono & Macca are giving eachother a call now and then :hmm:

Hell, we could just start a new thread called Reasons why Micheal Jackson should be locked up: Number 1- He owns the Beatles' songs!
Maybe Bono could buy them from Jacko. Now there's an idea. Then the fans would know their money was going to a good cause.

#1 Michael Jackson is a very sick man. To buy the back catalogue, he is not a Beatle and he probably needs the money. I heard he got mobbed in London yesterday. Karma will follow that man forever. #2 Why marry a woman-child who doesn't even know your own music? That looks really bad to me.

Sorry beli to have to break this to you, hope you're sitting down, but Paul is kinda married these days. If you find you're having trouble dealing with this news, I can supply numbers of good counselling services. :hug:

(once she's digested that news, i'll tell her about the baby!! :yes: )

zoo99 said:

Meanwhile, the rocker has revealed wife Heather Mills doesn't know all his big hits.

He said: "Once 'Get Back' was playing somewhere. She sort of recognised my voice and said, 'Is this you?' I said, 'Yes, darling. It's called 'Get Back'. It's quite famous.'"

hi hi hi

PopFly said:

I can't believe that McCartney and Yoko couldn't pool their money to get the song catalogue in the first place. Even back in 1983, they must've both been filthy rich. They could've cut George, Ringo and even George Martin in on the deal too.

umm... they did just that (just Yoko and Paul) and Micheal outbid them. Btw Paul was the one who gave Michael the infamous advice that buying former bands back catologs was a sound investment.

You also have to remember that Paul and Yoko don't exactly get on very well these days, so he'd be asking for trouble.

There was a john lennon live in New york concert on the telly just two nights ago. Yoko was singing - it was horrendous

I can't believe Heather Mills didn't know Get Back, she must have grown up on another planet.

Aardvark747 said:

Why? U thinking of making an offer?:ohmy: :wink:

Well, I had a plan. It involved you putting in 50p, me putting in 50p and maybe getting Redkat, paintedroses, zootlesque and Tim Tam to put in 50p too. I figured we could all go for it! :hyper:

:wink:

Actually I once heard quite a funny interview with heather mills which proves that although he appears to be a bit of a git sometimes, Paul M is still a true bloke at heart.

She said they were walking past a skip in London when Paul suddenly went back to get a bit of wood out of it.

She tried to make him put it back, but he said he wanted to keep it because it 'was a nice bit of wood'

Ellay said:
Actually I once heard quite a funny interview with heather mills which proves that although he appears to be a bit of a git sometimes, Paul M is still a true bloke at heart.

She said they were walking past a skip in London when Paul suddenly went back to get a bit of wood out of it.

She tried to make him put it back, but he said he wanted to keep it because it 'was a nice bit of wood'

:silent: *stops himself from making a bad joke*

beau2ifulday said:

Well, I had a plan. It involved you putting in 50p, me putting in 50p and maybe getting Redkat, paintedroses, zootlesque and Tim Tam to put in 50p too. I figured we could all go for it! :hyper:

:wink:

I can see it now:

BREAKING NEWS!!!!
U2 forum members buy Beatles Catalogue!

:lol:

How much is 50p in American money? I'll go in for it :shifty:.

kellyahern said:

I can see it now:

BREAKING NEWS!!!!
U2 forum members buy Beatles Catalogue!

:lol:

How much is 50p in American money? I'll go in for it :shifty:.

Intersting Idea. Interferneces buying the beatles catalogue. The possibilities are endless of what we could do with them.

:lmao:

The only thing that the King of Pop has got is those Beatles songs. Otherwise, he is in a world of shit. Didn't anyone pay attention when I said Bono should buy the songs? Then U2 could just turn into a Beatles Tribute band. LOL!

Back
Top Bottom