Bono Gives John Kerry Irish Falcon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
from today's Boston Globe

"Being a presidential also-ran has its privileges. John Kerry, who went backstage after U2's recent show in Boston, walked into Cambridge Music the other day with a sweet guitar given to him by Bono. He needed to get the custom ax appraised because pols need to report the value of all gifts. The Gretsch ''Bono Irish Falcon" lists for $4,500. Before leaving, Kerry paid $600 for a Coupe tube amplifier and bought a book, ''Essential Licks for Guitars," a DVD, ''Beginning Rock Guitar: Lead and Rhythm," assorted picks, and three sets of strings"

well at least now it'll get played.

(just kidding).

JOFO said:
well at least now it'll get played.

lol. seriously tho, i just saw the vertigo san diego boot.... and i forget what song it is... but bono is handed a guitar, i wait for him to start playing...and he never does! its like he's thinking 'do i come in now.... no now.... no now".... i thought it was funny

Not a big Kerry fan, but that's a great story :) Great that he's actually going to try and learn to play it too :)

Kerry already plays but I believe he has studied mostly classical-style guitar playing.

Strange, considering the guy plays hockey and rides a motorcycle.

babyman said:
Who knows what Bush may think about.................:hmm:

:wink:

"Heh, heh, you're doin' a real fine job, Falcon, a real fine job."

So how many of these things does Bono have anyway? I could've sworn another one was auctioned off a while ago.

typhoon said:
So how many of these things does Bono have anyway? I could've sworn another one was auctioned off a while ago.

Tons. I saw a site where you could buy an official one yourself, but I forget what it is. I think it was posted here a while back...

Of course it costs over $4K...!

Just posting on this thread to say hello to MrsSpringsteen....
love your board name.:) I too am an avid springsteen fan

typhoon said:

I heard there are 13 of them. I know of where 2 others are. But my mind is blank on that at the moment. Have to look again.

One was recently auctioned off by the Chicago Peace Museum.

Some fans raised a total of $9000.00. The idea was to bid on the guitar and if we won to give it back to the museum for a permanent display. Well they were beat in the last seconds by another bidder by $100.00 so this particular Falcon is now in a fans home somewhere in Florida. The money raised for the bidding was given to the Peace Museum, so in all the museum ended up with $18,100.00 from the auction of this guitar.($9000.00 the fans raised plus $9100.00 the winning bidder paid.)

Gretsch is making an updates version of these. As of last month when I checked they still were not available.

It's a new G61361 specs include as arched laminated maple body, two-piece maple neck with ebony fingerboard, "high Sensitive" filter'tron pickups and a Gretsch Cadilac "G" tail piece with "evergreen" finish.
Also has Mother of Pearl "Hump-block" inlays with Bono's signature engraved at the 12th fret. Gold Pickguard with "The goal is Soul' graphic Ebony-based bar bridge, Grover Imperial tuners, Gold sparkle bound fingerboard and headstock, Multiple gold sparkle body bindings and Jeweled knobs.

WHEW! LOL
List is $4500.00 and from what my dealer told me it comes with a case!

Back
Top Bottom