Bono fights for Kurt Cobain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gwenu2

The Fly
In the Name of Love... U2 Bono in Fight for Nirvana
Star witness in court wrangle

The People, July 08, 2002

Eamonn O'Hanlon

U2 frontman Bono has been named as a witness in one of the most poisonous legal disputes in showbiz history.

The Irish superstar has been called to testify for controversial singer Courtney Love in the long-running lawsuit sparked by the death of her husband Kurt Cobain.

Ex-junkie Courtney is suing the remaining members of Cobain's grunge band Nirvana over ownership of the group's recordings and songs.

The case -- worth millions of dollars in royalties -- is not due to receive a full hearing until later this year, but has already triggered a string of bitter attacks.

Band members Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic questioned Courtney's mental stability in court papers filed earlier this year and demanded she be seen by a psychiatrist.

They also claimed Hole singer Courtney, a self-professed former prostitute, was using the case to bolster her own flagging career, rather than protecting Cobain's legacy as she claimed.Courtney hit back by blaming her husband's suicide -- he shot himself through the head in April 1994 -- on an industry that treated him "like he was a subhuman piece of dog****."

Bono, famed for his peacemaking skills and campaigns of behalf of the world's poor, is expected to testify on Courtney's behalf at the U.S. Superior Court in Seattle in September.

He is among a number of high-profile celebrities called by 37-year-old Courtney, including R.E.M. singer Michael Stipe and former wild child actress Drew Barrymore.

Courtney, mother of Cobain's daughter Frances Bean, who was just two when he blasted himself to death at his lakeside home in Seattle, is close to Bono.

She recently revealed that the Dubliner had been one of the few people who had sought to help Cobain during the final tortured months of his life.

In his suicide note, Cobain said he had lost his sense of passion and believed Frances Bean would be better off without him.

Courtney said Bono had previously offered to advise Cobain -- who was heavily addicted to heroin and racked by depression at the time of his death -- but had been spurned.

"We were idiots and turned him away and were too embarrassed," she said.

"I sort of begged Kurt to take the 'Bono Talk' because, f*** it, if I had listened to it I'd have avoided a buttload of trouble for myself."

She also claimed Cobain might still be alive had he listened to Bono and learned to enjoy his star status.

"I have a feeling Bono would have said, 'Uh, no dude...You're supposed, you're allowed to have a blast doing this...buy an Eames chair, be roommates with Keith Richard, and calm down.

"I think a few spins in a Rolls or something, like any other normal male rock star, would have been a tonic for him.

"Kurt wanted to have fun but was never allowed to."

The hearing promises to be the second legal drama for Bono in the past six months.

In April, he appeared as a character witness for R.E.M. guitarist Peter Buck, when he appeared in court in London accused of going on a drunken rampage aboard a British Airways plane.

Bono, who took the oath as Paul David Hewson, told the court he volunteered to give evidence on his friend's behalf after reading about the case and feeling the urge to stand up and be counted.

Buck, 45, was eventually cleared of all charges.

A U2 insider said Bono would be considered a valuable ally in any legal showdown.

"He not only has vast experience of the music industry, but also knows the art of peacemaking and diplomacy," the source said.

"Courtney's case is very different from the Peter Buck one, but Bono will bring the same sense of honesty and fair play to both."

The Seattle case will hinge on whether 37-year-old Courtney has the right to break up a business partnership formed with Grohl and Novoselic in 1997 when they agreed to split the Nirvana royalties equally.

She claims she was "stoned" when she signed the deal and was not responsible for her actions.

? The People, 2002.

I don't like Courtney Love, but it's still good that Bono's helping. It's good for Kurt's little girl:yes:

This will be interesting.
I dont think she s entitled to money of Nirvana tho.

Hope Bono throws a curve.:yes: :ohmy:
DB9

gwenu2 said:
A U2 insider said Bono would be considered a valuable ally in any legal showdown.

"He not only has vast experience of the music industry, but also knows the art of peacemaking and diplomacy," the source said.

i need to get in touch with bono. he can help me:p

NicaMom said:

There some pics of her hanging out with Bono and she was also at one of the Staples shows last November.

Yeah, where she was fighting with fans in the heart!
WHATEVER!!!!!!!!!

This article is kinda confusing. Is he testifying for Courtney or on behalf of Nirvana??!!!

I think Kurt was stoned when he married Courtney.

I applaud Bono for wanting to help Kurt back in the day, but he should let the Holemeister fight her own battles.

I happen to think Novaselic and Grohl deserve every last dime of the Nirvana royalties.

oktobergirl said:

Yeah, where she was fighting with fans in the heart!
WHATEVER!!!!!!!!!

This article is kinda confusing. Is he testifying for Courtney or on behalf of Nirvana??!!!

He's testifying for Courtney. Damn, this dispute is messy. But Bono is a very loyal friend and I think he wants to help Courtney with her problems, and yes, she does have the little girl to look after. Alot of people don't like Courtney. I don't know that much about her. Maybe she just needs some help.

does ANYONE have the URL to this article?

I really really want to post it, but cannot until I can directly
attribute it to its source.

Thanks!

HelloAngel said:
does ANYONE have the URL to this article?

I really really want to post it, but cannot until I can directly
attribute it to its source.

Thanks!

I'll try to find it as soon as I can resolve a crisis--I have some object stuck in an, uh, nasal passage........ICK!!!! Someone get this pesky object out of here! Damn!

One Tree Still said:

I happen to think Novaselic and Grohl deserve every last dime of the Nirvana royalties.

I agree. The headline on this article is very misleading. I started reading it thinking he was fighting for Novaselic and Grohl, but was disappointed when it turned out he's testifying for Courtney.

Did anybody read the article about the lawsuit in Rolling Stone a while back? I can't remember who wrote it, but it was a very interesting piece.

OMG!! :ohmy:

Madonna's Child!! I feckin' love the pic in your sig!

:ohmy: :drool: :heart: :love: :kiss:

*sings*David Duchovny, why won't you love me*/sings*

kariatari said:

I agree. The headline on this article is very misleading. I started reading it thinking he was fighting for Novaselic and Grohl, but was disappointed when it turned out he's testifying for Courtney.

Did anybody read the article about the lawsuit in Rolling Stone a while back? I can't remember who wrote it, but it was a very interesting piece.

I didn't read about the lawsuit....or if I did I don't remember what it said. Courtney can't stay out of lawsuits! Yuck. This is ugly.

Kurt married Courtney. He had a child with her. A third (at LEAST a third) of Nirvana's royalties should go to Kurt's widow and HIS CHILD FOR WHOM HE IS RESPONSIBLE be he dead or alive.

MAP

I'm actually not sure if Bono is going to be called. There are conflicting reports at the YouTwo site. He may be called; he may not be, according to something posted there. The lawsuit starts in September. So Courtney was fighting with people in the heart? That's pretty damned uncool. :no: :no:

Matthew_Page2000 said:
Kurt married Courtney. He had a child with her. A third (at LEAST a third) of Nirvana's royalties should go to Kurt's widow and HIS CHILD FOR WHOM HE IS RESPONSIBLE be he dead or alive.

MAP

You're right.......this is at least partially about that child. Let's not be unfair to his child. OK, Courtney is not Miss Congeniality, but she was Kurt's wife.

One Tree Still said:

Yeah.. as bandmembers they sure as hell have more stake in it than the wife of the singer.

i'm kinda disappointed bono seems to be on the other side here.

but wait a minute; what is bono gonna say if he's called?

"courtney should get the right's to nirvana's legacy".???

no way.
he's in a band that believes in splitting things 4 (5) ways. he's gonna stick up for her?

you know, they should just split it 3 ways and that's that.

greedy fucking rockstars.:barf:

I think the old slutbag was just throwing out names and mentioned Bono and Michael Stipe, if called by the court they would have to testify, but IMO Bono wouldnt take the whores side, I just think she was posturing by throwing out names.

Fuck her, she probably had Kurt murdered anyway.

U2DMfan said:
I think the old slutbag was just throwing out names and mentioned Bono and Michael Stipe, .

I would hate hate hate to be in their position! Both have had friendships with all the parties invovled here...which way do you turn....?

However Bono has shows great skill in this area before...he somehow managed to keep close friendships with both Bob Geldorf and Michael Huthence...even after Bob's wife left him for Michael...some clever diplomacy here. If anyone can stay friends with Both Courtney and Dave and Chris...Bono can.

Kurt's daughter deserves some of the royalties though...put them in a trust fund for her and don't let her mom touch it!!!

dream wanderer

Last edited:
Here's the thing though...up until Kurt died, the band did split the money 3 ways among the members. After Kurt died, the remaining members of Nirvana and Courtney set up Nirvana Limited Liability Company and decided to share the royalties equally three ways.

Well, Courtney doesn't like that idea now and thinks that she is entitled to more than Grohl or Novoselic because she says that Kurt himself was Nirvana and made all the decisions, wrote all the songs, etc. and he had only previously split the royalties with the 2 other members not because the deserved it, but out of kindness.

It's also because of this disagreement that a Nirvana box set (including the last tune ever recorded by the band) never saw the light of day. Grohl and Novoselic were ready to release the box set, but Courtney voted against it because she was only getting 1/3 of the royalties.

Sometimes I like Courtney, but sometimes I just don't see where she gets off doing the things she does. This is an example one of the latter moments.

kariatari said:
OMG!! :ohmy:

Madonna's Child!! I feckin' love the pic in your sig!

:ohmy: :drool: :heart: :love: :kiss:

*sings*David Duchovny, why won't you love me*/sings*

Thank you. David is adorable, isn't he? I didn't think anyone would recognize them. :)

I'm with U2DMfan on this one (apart from the name calling)

There's a big difference between testifying for a harmless guy who got drunk on a plane and alledgedly said something stupid, and defending a woman who is TROUBLE, a complete liar, and is suspected of having her husband killed.

ger said:
There's a big difference between testifying for a harmless guy who got drunk on a plane and alledgedly said something stupid, and defending a woman who is TROUBLE.

Is this the same "harmless man" who got completly pissed, swore at the cabin staff and then hurled a youghurt over them.

That's the guy all right.

Throwing yoghurt is childish, but it is pretty harmless compared to the trail of dead people and trouble behind Courtney Love.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom