Bono fights for Kurt Cobain - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2002, 01:22 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 06:15 PM
Bono fights for Kurt Cobain

In the Name of Love... U2 Bono in Fight for Nirvana
Star witness in court wrangle

The People, July 08, 2002

Eamonn O'Hanlon

U2 frontman Bono has been named as a witness in one of the most poisonous legal disputes in showbiz history.

The Irish superstar has been called to testify for controversial singer Courtney Love in the long-running lawsuit sparked by the death of her husband Kurt Cobain.

Ex-junkie Courtney is suing the remaining members of Cobain's grunge band Nirvana over ownership of the group's recordings and songs.

The case -- worth millions of dollars in royalties -- is not due to receive a full hearing until later this year, but has already triggered a string of bitter attacks.

Band members Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic questioned Courtney's mental stability in court papers filed earlier this year and demanded she be seen by a psychiatrist.

They also claimed Hole singer Courtney, a self-professed former prostitute, was using the case to bolster her own flagging career, rather than protecting Cobain's legacy as she claimed.Courtney hit back by blaming her husband's suicide -- he shot himself through the head in April 1994 -- on an industry that treated him "like he was a subhuman piece of dog****."

Bono, famed for his peacemaking skills and campaigns of behalf of the world's poor, is expected to testify on Courtney's behalf at the U.S. Superior Court in Seattle in September.

He is among a number of high-profile celebrities called by 37-year-old Courtney, including R.E.M. singer Michael Stipe and former wild child actress Drew Barrymore.

Courtney, mother of Cobain's daughter Frances Bean, who was just two when he blasted himself to death at his lakeside home in Seattle, is close to Bono.

She recently revealed that the Dubliner had been one of the few people who had sought to help Cobain during the final tortured months of his life.

In his suicide note, Cobain said he had lost his sense of passion and believed Frances Bean would be better off without him.

Courtney said Bono had previously offered to advise Cobain -- who was heavily addicted to heroin and racked by depression at the time of his death -- but had been spurned.

"We were idiots and turned him away and were too embarrassed," she said.

"I sort of begged Kurt to take the 'Bono Talk' because, f*** it, if I had listened to it I'd have avoided a buttload of trouble for myself."

She also claimed Cobain might still be alive had he listened to Bono and learned to enjoy his star status.

"I have a feeling Bono would have said, 'Uh, no dude...You're supposed, you're allowed to have a blast doing this...buy an Eames chair, be roommates with Keith Richard, and calm down.

"I think a few spins in a Rolls or something, like any other normal male rock star, would have been a tonic for him.

"Kurt wanted to have fun but was never allowed to."

The hearing promises to be the second legal drama for Bono in the past six months.

In April, he appeared as a character witness for R.E.M. guitarist Peter Buck, when he appeared in court in London accused of going on a drunken rampage aboard a British Airways plane.

Bono, who took the oath as Paul David Hewson, told the court he volunteered to give evidence on his friend's behalf after reading about the case and feeling the urge to stand up and be counted.

Buck, 45, was eventually cleared of all charges.

A U2 insider said Bono would be considered a valuable ally in any legal showdown.

"He not only has vast experience of the music industry, but also knows the art of peacemaking and diplomacy," the source said.

"Courtney's case is very different from the Peter Buck one, but Bono will bring the same sense of honesty and fair play to both."

The Seattle case will hinge on whether 37-year-old Courtney has the right to break up a business partnership formed with Grohl and Novoselic in 1997 when they agreed to split the Nirvana royalties equally.

She claims she was "stoned" when she signed the deal and was not responsible for her actions.

The People, 2002.

I don't like Courtney Love, but it's still good that Bono's helping. It's good for Kurt's little girl

Old 07-09-2002, 01:25 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Location: maze of your imagination, where the streets have no name, lol
Local Time: 04:15 AM
Courtney......an ex-junkie

i never knew bono had tried to help Kurt...

Old 07-09-2002, 01:28 PM   #3
The Fly

Local Time: 01:15 PM

i never knew courtney and bono were 'close'
*shudders
Old 07-09-2002, 01:29 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:15 AM

This will be interesting.
I dont think she s entitled to money of Nirvana tho.

Hope Bono throws a curve.
DB9
Old 07-09-2002, 01:35 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:15 PM
Re: Bono fights for Kurt Cobain

Quote:
Originally posted by gwenu2
A U2 insider said Bono would be considered a valuable ally in any legal showdown.

"He not only has vast experience of the music industry, but also knows the art of peacemaking and diplomacy," the source said.
i need to get in touch with bono. he can help me
Old 07-09-2002, 01:50 PM   #6
Den Mother

Location: Well my heart is where it's always been, my head is somewhere in between.
Local Time: 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 404 Not Found
i never knew courtney and bono were 'close'
*shudders
There some pics of her hanging out with Bono and she was also at one of the Staples shows last November.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:53 PM   #7
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by NicaMom

There some pics of her hanging out with Bono and she was also at one of the Staples shows last November.
Yeah, where she was fighting with fans in the heart!
WHATEVER!!!!!!!!!

This article is kinda confusing. Is he testifying for Courtney or on behalf of Nirvana??!!!
Old 07-09-2002, 01:53 PM   #8
Acrobat

I think Kurt was stoned when he married Courtney.

I applaud Bono for wanting to help Kurt back in the day, but he should let the Holemeister fight her own battles.

I happen to think Novaselic and Grohl deserve every last dime of the Nirvana royalties.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:59 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by oktobergirl

Yeah, where she was fighting with fans in the heart!
WHATEVER!!!!!!!!!

This article is kinda confusing. Is he testifying for Courtney or on behalf of Nirvana??!!!

He's testifying for Courtney. Damn, this dispute is messy. But Bono is a very loyal friend and I think he wants to help Courtney with her problems, and yes, she does have the little girl to look after. Alot of people don't like Courtney. I don't know that much about her. Maybe she just needs some help.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:58 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

does ANYONE have the URL to this article?

I really really want to post it, but cannot until I can directly
attribute it to its source.

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2002, 03:10 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel
does ANYONE have the URL to this article?

I really really want to post it, but cannot until I can directly
attribute it to its source.

Thanks!
I'll try to find it as soon as I can resolve a crisis--I have some object stuck in an, uh, nasal passage........ICK!!!! Someone get this pesky object out of here! Damn!
Old 07-09-2002, 05:16 PM   #12
The Fly

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=2373

That's where I got it
Old 07-09-2002, 06:33 PM   #13
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by One Tree Still

I happen to think Novaselic and Grohl deserve every last dime of the Nirvana royalties.
I agree. The headline on this article is very misleading. I started reading it thinking he was fighting for Novaselic and Grohl, but was disappointed when it turned out he's testifying for Courtney.

Did anybody read the article about the lawsuit in Rolling Stone a while back? I can't remember who wrote it, but it was a very interesting piece.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:59 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Bono picked the wrong side
Old 07-09-2002, 09:17 PM   #15
War Child

OMG!!

Madonna's Child!! I feckin' love the pic in your sig!

*sings*David Duchovny, why won't you love me*/sings*
Old 07-09-2002, 09:28 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by kariatari

I agree. The headline on this article is very misleading. I started reading it thinking he was fighting for Novaselic and Grohl, but was disappointed when it turned out he's testifying for Courtney.

Did anybody read the article about the lawsuit in Rolling Stone a while back? I can't remember who wrote it, but it was a very interesting piece.

I didn't read about the lawsuit....or if I did I don't remember what it said. Courtney can't stay out of lawsuits! Yuck. This is ugly.
Old 07-09-2002, 10:22 PM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 11:15 AM
Kurt married Courtney. He had a child with her. A third (at LEAST a third) of Nirvana's royalties should go to Kurt's widow and HIS CHILD FOR WHOM HE IS RESPONSIBLE be he dead or alive.

MAP
Old 07-09-2002, 10:25 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

I'm actually not sure if Bono is going to be called. There are conflicting reports at the YouTwo site. He may be called; he may not be, according to something posted there. The lawsuit starts in September. So Courtney was fighting with people in the heart? That's pretty damned uncool.
Old 07-09-2002, 10:28 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000
Kurt married Courtney. He had a child with her. A third (at LEAST a third) of Nirvana's royalties should go to Kurt's widow and HIS CHILD FOR WHOM HE IS RESPONSIBLE be he dead or alive.

MAP
You're right.......this is at least partially about that child. Let's not be unfair to his child. OK, Courtney is not Miss Congeniality, but she was Kurt's wife.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:02 PM   #20
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by One Tree Still
Yeah.. as bandmembers they sure as hell have more stake in it than the wife of the singer.

i'm kinda disappointed bono seems to be on the other side here.