Bono featured on YouTube front page

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Derrick. The "Davos Question" is just basically what the world leaders (namely the G8) will do at the World Economic Forum going on in Davos. Bono was referring specifically to how the G8 is rather shamefully neglecting its promises to achieving the United Nations Millennium Development Goals.

Check out the thread "Bono wants African nations to sue over broken promises" to discuss it.
Thanks again for the link!

wow it's incredible all the hate for bono on youtube haha, I just read like 20 comments and almost all of them expressed utter detest for Bono and his politics

It's not really all that incredible, anyone in that position is up to a lot of scorn. When you proclaim your band to be the biggest in the world and keep yourself in the public eye constantly, even without music, a lot of people just think you're an attention whore.

Is it rational? For the most part, no, although there are some people who have legitimate beefs with Bono. Is it unexpected? No.

Ouch, I was anticipating all the Bono hate after the profile described him as a 'Rock God'.

well..it's kind of hard to argue the fact that U2 is the biggest band in the world...so the fact that he has proclaimed that shouldn't anger so many people...but yes he is constantly in the public eye which makes him vulnerable to that everywhere he goes...

One thing I can't stand is when people go, "So the guy has made a few catchy tunes and the media treats him like he's Jesus" or something of that nature...NO, he hasn't just made a few catchy tunes...Britney Spears has made a few catchy tunes, there is a big difference here...

but that is sort of beside the point, I'm more interested in how you guys feel about this:

Do you guys think Bono's activism has added to U2's popularity and been an overall positive for the band, or has his activism detracted from the band's popularity?

Rob33 said:
well..it's kind of hard to argue the fact that U2 is the biggest band in the world...so the fact that he has proclaimed that shouldn't anger so many people...but yes he is constantly in the public eye which makes him vulnerable to that everywhere he goes...

Well, the "biggest band in the world" is so ambiguous of a title, that anyone claiming it is asking for trouble. It's cocky, and, even if it is relativly accurate, is probably best left unsaid.

phillyfan26 said:

Well, the "biggest band in the world" is so ambiguous of a title, that anyone claiming it is asking for trouble. It's cocky, and, even if it is relativly accurate, is probably best left unsaid.

i agree :up:

but, when has Bono refrained from saying something cocky :wink:

the fact that Bono has said this numerous times on many interviews should really come as no surprise to people closer to the U2 community, but to the rest of the world, it probably comes off as a bit cocky and probably turns a lot of people off..

Rob33 said:
wow it's incredible all the hate for bono on youtube haha, I just read like 20 comments and almost all of them expressed utter detest for Bono and his politics

It's YouTube. The comments there on ANYTHING are terrible. I think you have to have an IQ below 30 and the typing skills of a legless donkey to leave a comment there.

Axver said:

It's YouTube. The comments there on ANYTHING are terrible. I think you have to have an IQ below 30 and the typing skills of a legless donkey to leave a comment there.

that sounds about right!

:rolleyes: and besides that the other requirement is that in order to comment you must not know a single thing on the topic you comment on... since it's 'cool' to hate Bono, that's all kids to these days... wether they know what he does or not...

Back
Top Bottom