bono ever give up the shades?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOFO

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
let's see, nov. 1991-july 2002
nearly 11 years of the spectacles.
maybe time to retire them and just let those honest blue eyes do the wowing.
:cool: :sexywink:

Maybe he can get a haircut and a shave while he's at it.

Nah...I think he's fine the way he is!

I would like to these those beautiful blue eyes a little more, but I really like the shades too.

Blue eyes are for actors, shades are for rock stars:

bono_115.jpg

bono14.gif

- The Zoocifer -

I love Bono with glasses and especially how it piss everyone off that he wears them, everyone meaning people that arent fans like pm, presidents and people that dont know anything about him. They can be annoying tho because his eyes are so pritty!:drool:

LOL @ how people keep picking on his gear and expecting him to look like some yuppie businessman- he is a rock star, and he is free to do what he wants. I think sometimes he wears the shades because they DO piss people off and he will continue to wear them as long as he thinks they do;)

Me, I prefer the eyes, and he did show them to us on the tour by taking the shades off after the third song. I got to see them closeup in the spotlight and it was quite a thrill.

I love his hair too. I think the way he dresses is in-your-face cool, and the very people he is flying in the face of is those stuck in the old fashioned rut of convention and what 40 year old men are 'supposed' to look like. Good for you Bono, rock on, stay cool! :D

Last edited:
I read somewhere once that he does wear the shades for the media and that most pics you see of him without them are by fans or candid shots and not posed ones. His eyes must not be bothered by light since he did perform all but 3 songs without the shades on the Elevation tour. I don't think he wears them just sitting around his house watching TV or reading. I think he wears them outside to protect his eyes, but you do see a lot of pics of him inside (Jeffrey Sachs dinner thing) and outside on a cloudy day on his on time (walking and kissing with Ali in NYC) at parties (posed with fans in Las Vegas, letting Gwen Stefani put them on at the after Grammy party, other aftershow parties) without the shades. I can think of lots of other examples too. I have lots of pics of him without the shades. If a politician or newsman is around, you better believe he'll have them on though!

...what NicaMom said!!

And it occurs to me that his eyes recently have looked slightly "magnified" by his glasses, so maybe he needs them to actually SEE with....not uncommon for a middle-aged person to require prescription lenses...maybe he started out just wearing the Fly shades for coolness and then over time, actually needs to wear specs to see....

I've heard that too, but how would that explain how he's able to see without them when he's not wearing them, like at the shows? I saw him reading people's signs and a lyrics sheet on the floor with no shades on. His eyesight must not be too bad!

QUOTE]Originally posted by U2Kitten
I've heard that too, but how would that explain how he's able to see without them when he's not wearing them, like at the shows? I saw him reading people's signs and a lyrics sheet on the floor with no shades on. His eyesight must not be too bad! [/QUOTE]

Oh, yeah. I've forgotten why I posted actually. :wink:
I don't think that he sees bad without glasses and I've never heard that rumour. I think that it is just for coolness and maybe because it is already a habit of him to go into public with them on. Other people need to have hats on all the time! ( :edge: ) :D Though they look hot as well when they don't wear anything----on their heads. :silent: :D

OK, since I AM Bono's shades I thought I ought to reply and set the record straight. Bono wears shades because his beautiful blue eyes have such a devastating effect on women that it became necessary for him to keep them covered most of the time to prevent mass hysteria.

Bono's Shades you may just be right! :love: Those eyes are lethal weapons!

I think he does wear the shades partly because they annoy people, and if I were him and read this thread, I would keep wearing them and grow my hair and stubbly beard just because of what some of you said LOL! He is stubborn! The media is always ragging on his shades, some guys say they hate them and want to take them off and smash them. That's just the kind of thing that's going to make him want to keep wearing them!

If we want to know if they're prescription just ask Mr. Le_Mon. He traded shades with Bono and wore them himself, so he'd know!!

Desire4Bono said:
I think he does wear the shades partly because they annoy people, and if I were him and read this thread, I would keep wearing them and grow my hair and stubbly beard just because of what some of you said LOL! He is stubborn!

Certainly he is.

I think Bono looked really spiff during the Elevation tour and on the Africa tour with O'Neill. IMO he hasn't looked that good since ZooTV. Just my opinion, of course. I don't think he needs to change anything---not even the shades! He must really like them otherwise he wouldn't wear them all the time--or much of the time.

I believe he wears them to hide the fact that his eyes are often bloodshot from allergies and also, as one magazine put it "to cover the impressive bags under his eyes" :D You'll notice when he is photographed with them off he often uses his fingers to make a little shade on the one eye. (Like when Gwen was trying on his glasses, in a pic with Elvis Costello early in the tour, etc.)

While I, personally, would prefer to see those lovely eyes, he does look younger with them on so that might be one of the reasons. Dark shades are also a very common way for older stars to hide the fact that their arms are getting too short to read small print ;)

verte76 said:

I agree. However, being a member of the female sex, I do, uh, respond to certain images in a certain way. :lol: :heart: :heart:

I agree with you verte 76 and I agree with what you said about Bono's looks!

I get kind of weary of the old 'looks don't matter' crap myself. Let's face it, when you see someone you don't know walking down the street, do you think what a great personality they have, or do you think they're 'hot' or 'not?' Come on people! No one ever drooled over a personality. We don't really know the guy's personalities anyway, despite what we know of them, we're not personal friends with them so we can't really say. If Bono looked like Tom Arnold, I wouldn't drool over him no matter what his personality was like. That comment may sound noble to say, and it may go with people you know and love in your personal life, but dammit, what's wrong with swooning over some famous person for looks alone? NOTHING! :D And I'll continue to do it shamelessly!:p

Last edited:
I read someplace where he said that he hates looking into glaring lights. OK, maybe he does it sometimes, but that doesn't mean he likes it. Thus the shades. I hate glaring, overpowering light myself. Sometimes it really hurts! Have you ever tried driving into a sunset? Ouch! It drives me nuts. I need to get some shades........:wink: :wink:

Last edited:
I think it was Matt from the website @U2 who once said something along the lines of, "On stage, when Bono's shades come off, you know the song is heavy". Or something like that..cannot remember the exact quote.

I think it's his whole 'character' thing (in the 90's) like during the Zootv Syndney video he's got the shades on for the first couple of songs and then when it's time to sing "ONE" the shades come off.

I think that comment about the shades being off and the song being heavy was about the Tribute to Heroes thing, I remember that when it happened. In the concerts, he took them off long before One- it was after UTEOTW, which means that most of ever show he had no shades. The only time I saw pics of him with shades almost the whole time was Slane, and that was outside. I think it's the sun that bugs him more than indoor lights.

U2Kitten said:
I think that comment about the shades being off and the song being heavy was about the Tribute to Heroes thing, I remember that when it happened. In the concerts, he took them off long before One- it was after UTEOTW, which means that most of ever show he had no shades. The only time I saw pics of him with shades almost the whole time was Slane, and that was outside. I think it's the sun that bugs him more than indoor lights.

Oh, yeah, Tribute to Heroes. Of course the whole idea there was "subdued" and at least one person in the press commented that no performer was more subdued than Bono. No clowning there........very serious stuff.

u2loopy said:
I think it was Matt from the website @U2 who once said something along the lines of, "On stage, when Bono's shades come off, you know the song is heavy". Or something like that..cannot remember the exact quote.

I think it's his whole 'character' thing (in the 90's) like during the Zootv Syndney video he's got the shades on for the first couple of songs and then when it's time to sing "ONE" the shades come off.

I read a quote about Elevation tour and about the shades and it was from a reporter that wrote a review of the show :

"When sunglasses come off, you know Bono means business"

I dunno, either way is good with me: glasses or no glasses. I think the blue see-through ones he wore on Elevation tour are perfect; his best glasses ever!

U2girl said:

I read a quote about Elevation tour and about the shades and it was from a reporter that wrote a review of the show :

"When sunglasses come off, you know Bono means business"

I dunno, either way is good with me: glasses or no glasses. I think the blue see-through ones he wore on Elevation tour are perfect; his best glasses ever!

I think those are perfect. Blue is a really good color for him.

Back
Top Bottom