Bono/Edge vs Hewson/Evans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I know I'm going to be in the minority here, but hear me out. I was just thinking about how Bono and Edge are a pop/rock songwriting team that does and will get mentioned in the same breath as McCartney/Lennon, Page/Plant, Jagger/Richards, Waters/Gilmour, Tyler/Perry, Mercury/May, etc etc, and I was thinking that to see the names Bono/Edge in the middle of all that would look kind of silly. So, my question is, then, do you think that, sooner or later, Bono and Edge should revert back to their real names? And do you think that someone looking at that list of the great pop/rock songwriting teams in a hundred years, would take this item on it more seriously if it said Hewson/Evans instead of Bono/Edge? I kind of do. But I know I'm in the minority. Thoughts?

I don't think it matters. I think the songs will always speak for themselves.

maybe in the last album, which a lot of people think (and so do I) that should be called MAN

the journey from Boy to Man, from BOY to MAN... from nicknames Bono/Edge to names Hewson/Evans...

or maybe not... :dunno:

PS: I remembered "Rochelle rochelle" (a little girls' journey from Milan to Minsk) :lmao:

pepokiss said:
maybe in the last album, which a lot of people think (and so do I) that should be called MAN

the journey from Boy to Man, from BOY to MAN... from nicknames Bono/Edge to names Hewson/Evans...

If things keep going the way they are the last album will be called SENILE OLD GRAMPA.

The reasons that Edge/Bono will never be credited in the same breath as Lennon/McCartney is because they credited all there songs as Bono, Clayton, Edge, Mullen or simply U2. I think it's very noble personally. I heard at one stage Bono had sacrificed about $35 million in royalties. Edge would be slighty less.

timothius said:

If things keep going the way they are the last album will be called SENILE OLD GRAMPA.

The reasons that Edge/Bono will never be credited in the same breath as Lennon/McCartney is because they credited all there songs as Bono, Clayton, Edge, Mullen or simply U2. I think it's very noble personally. I heard at one stage Bono had sacrificed about $35 million in royalties. Edge would be slighty less.

That's not what I asked though.

Bono and The Edge are not a writing team (at least officially) like the ones you mention. U2 songs are not published under Bono-The Edge but rather "Music by U2 - Lyrics by Bono or Bono/The Edge". In Boy you got the four members including "Bono Hewson" and "The Edge Evans" (doesn't it sound weird??) as songwriters for the album.

ultraviolet7 said:
Bono and The Edge are not a writing team (at least officially) like the ones you mention. U2 songs are not published under Bono-The Edge but rather "Music by U2 - Lyrics by Bono or Bono/The Edge". In Boy you got the four members including "Bono Hewson" and "The Edge Evans" (doesn't it sound weird??) as songwriters for the album.

Did you read the post two above yours before posting?

namkcuR said:

That's not what I asked though.

Sorry I should've drawn back my points more to the origional question.

My main point was... Edge/Bono would look ridiculous in the list of Lennon/McCartney , Mercury/May etc etc is because there are NO songs that are credited to Edge/Bono.

How could a partnership that has never existed be listed alongside those that have sold millions & millions of copies.

People, it doesn't matter what it's published as. Everybody knows Bono and Edge write the songs, and when people look back on it, that's what will be passed through history.

As musicians they have always been known as Bono and The Edge so for them to change it wouldn't be a good move on their part. I think the name "Bono" will live on in history long after his death, but I doubt people, in the future, will know him as Paul Hewson. He will always be BONO. Once you are well known by a name it's not a wise idea to change it.

namkcuR said:
People, it doesn't matter what it's published as. Everybody knows Bono and Edge write the songs, and when people look back on it, that's what will be passed through history.

Everydody who knows a bit a about U2 may know that the songs are actually written by Bono and The Edge. The casual listener goes to the booklet and sees what's published. Lennon and McCartney became famous as a writing team but then "everybody knows" that Yesterday, Let It Be, Michelle, etc, etc were written by Paul McCartney and Strawberry Fields Forever, Revolution 9, Come Together, etc, etc were written by Lennon. However it's Lennon-McCartney as a songwriting team what people remember. What I mean is that fact may be one thing, which is relevant to those who take an interest in a band, and what's actually credited is what most people take as good.

namkcuR said:

No, but it does matter. Lennon-McCartney wouldn't be the force they were if it weren't for them always using there co-composer labelling. It totally matters as what it was published as.

U2 also are so much more dynamic than the Beatles were as well. I mean do we consider Sunday Bloody Sunday a purely Bono/Edge song...is that famous drumbeat fictional. Is the famous With Or Without You or New Year's Day basslines another example of Bono/Edge writing team? No.

The thing that diffirentiated U2 from most other bands, is that they wrote in a team situation. They each brought different aspects to the music... (look for example at the Achtung Baby working tapes... most tracks musically were complete... but no lyrics...).

With all that being said, if we wish to live for a couple of minutes in the musical vacum that you have created, then...

I don't think being labelled Edge/Bono is anymore valid than Hewson/Evans... Musically and personally they are known as The Edge & Bono...everything they have recorded has been under the name of Edge & Bono... get it... they are The Edge & Bono.

The fact that there names are slightly obscure is irrellevent it hasn't hindered Freddy Mercury's legacy in anyway and that is one of the examples you listed.

[exits Musical Vacum]

Nup - i reckon its a moot point..... its not gonna matter - if anything they will, if listed as u mentioned (Bono/Edge), stand out more from the others with standardish surnames....

:|

I don't know that it really matters in the instance you gave, but I will say I really despise musicians known exclusively by nicknames. It might be cute for teenagers, but for me it wears thin quickly. It just seems kind of cheesy to me.

I would have much preferred them to have used their real names instead of their nicknames throughout their career, but I think it's a bit late to change now.

Last edited:
Well, I've got a (vinyl) copy of Roy Orbison's version of "She's a Mystery to Me" (man, what a great song and singer) and it's credited to Dave Evans (The Edge) and Paul Hewson (Bono) and "produced by Bono".

What the hell does it matter? We all know the majority of the music comes from 4 blokes in a room bashing the music out (or each other, whichever comes first :wink: )

Last edited:
I'm not sure it matters...but FWIW

Most Queen fans would know that all four members are credited equally (though most of the songwriting was done by Mercury, on the other hand, their rhythm section sings a lot more than Adam&Larry)

Most 'Stones fans would realise that without Brian Jones, the glimmer twin were just glimmer and very little content.

Most Beatles fans would know that Lennon/Mccartney wrote separately, and without porper guidance from their producer little to nothing would have come from it. (Just look at Wings...)

I'm not sure what Waters/Rogers do in the original post. I don't consider them great songwriters, some of their "hits" were credited to that duo, but a lot of other songs were group credits, besides, what is 'FLoyd without Sid Barrett?

The fact that U2 is such a democratic, equal group (20% Pual McG!) makes them outlive the others. Time will tell how that will be perceived in the future, but U2 are the only band who managed to be relevant in 3 decades. They are the only band who actually managed to reinvent themselves. Their best may be actually still to come, I for one am glad that they care to "spread the wealth".

Back
Top Bottom