Bono doesn't win Nobel Peace Prize

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
verte76 said:
The group I'm in that builds wells for the needy in Africa would not exist if it weren't for Bono. We wouldn't know wells aren't expensive and it's entirely possible to do this if it weren't for Bono.

Precisely.

Originally posted by verte76
That being said I'm delighted that a woman from a conservative Islamic society, who has many disadvantages because of her gender, won. I love it when those women get out there and show their government and other people what they're made of! Believe me that is *not* easy or painless. It's very hard.

No kidding! That alone deserves applause.

Good luck to her...I hope that everything she's fighting for works out grand.

Angela

Jick...I'm with you.

these people are annoying

'YoU ARe NOT A ReAL U2 fan!!! You DOn't THink BoNO is All POWerful and FLawless!'

give me a break. Jick said nothing to imply that he isn't a U2 fan. I love u2 to death and I think that in light of his competition Bono did not deserve it....and I'm doubtful he'll ever win

AND I'M A REAL FAN

:rolleyes:

Basstrap said:
Jick...I'm with you.

these people are annoying

'YoU ARe NOT A ReAL U2 fan!!! You DOn't THink BoNO is All POWerful and FLawless!'

give me a break. Jick said nothing to imply that he isn't a U2 fan. I love u2 to death and I think that in light of his competition Bono did not deserve it....and I'm doubtful he'll ever win

AND I'M A REAL FAN

:rolleyes:

I think you're missing the point on Jick. I think it's the fact that the comments are always negative comments about U2. It gets kind of old.

well...I guess I'm never here anyway...so what do I know!?

Jick....if Bono's motivation for his activism is strictly egotistical, I'd like proof, OK? And don't ignore this one. We all want to know. You say this every time, so let's see the proof.

Also, in your opinion, who is an example of someone who has improved the human race for not an egotistical reason?

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Jick....if Bono's motivation for his activism is strictly egotistical, I'd like proof, OK? And don't ignore this one. We all want to know. You say this every time, so let's see the proof.

Also, in your opinion, who is an example of someone who has improved the human race for not an egotistical reason?

:applaud:
i'm waiting for the answer too. :D
jick doesn't strike me as a U2 fan at all.
he has every right to be here as it is a public forum, but i just don't understand *why* he is here.
i don't go to forums of bands i don't like. :shrug:
as bing crosby sang:
"you gotta accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative"
great philosophy to live by:up:

I don't think anyone implied bono did it for egotistical reasons. I think he just said bono has a big ego and that makes him a less likely canidate

I think his heart is in the right spot, and he is doing more than 99% of all celebrities to ease the pain of others. However, there are many more people who deserve this award more

U2girl said:
How do you figure U2 needs any boosts in popularity?
(and how exactly would Bono's activism help there? There's some people who say "I don't like U2" just because of Bono's activism AFAIK, and also some who plainly say "I don't like Bono period, hence I don't care about U2 either")

Where in my post did I say U2 NEEDS any boost in popularity? As a matter of fact I am saying that "winning would have been a big boost for U2's already big popularity." So if I said U2's popularity is already big, I don't think you can accuse me of saying that U2 needs more boost in that department. The only "boost" Bono needs and he actually already has are via his elevator-shoes.

Cheers,

J

Here is something that Shirin Ebadi wrote about the time of her imprisonment:

I try to remember who said, 'we are not born to suffer'. I can't remember. Wrathfully, with the end of a spoon I try to engrave on the cement wall of the cell, 'we are born to suffer because we are born in the third world - space and time are imposed on us. Therefore, there is nothing to do except to stay patient.'

She is a remarkable woman, and I think what she said here is also deeply ingrained in Bono's conscience, and is something that he is striving to change as well.

His time for the award may come, or it may not. That doesn't negate anything he's done, nor does it negate what other people of conviction, like Shirin Ebadi have done in the name of peace and progress.

u2sangel said:
As far as Bono winning the Nobel maybe his day will come and maybe not is a wonderful award but is just an award and noone should get involved in making the world a better place just to win it!Jick you always seem to know the "real Bono"I guess the rest of us are just hoodwinked huh?Answer that I DARE you!

I never made any pretensions of knowing the "real Bono" and I never said Bono did his world-saving efforts with the sole purpose of winning the Nobel.

Cheers,

J

verte76 said:
Jick.........the subject of my UFO stories :silent: :silent: :censored: :censored: ..................U2 doesn't need a damn Nobel Peace Prize to boost their careers. The worth of the new album, the last album, the last tour, has got nothing to do with Bono's activism. The album will be judged on its merit, just like all of their albums are. Nobody buys U2 albums in judgment of Bono's activism.

I beg to differ. Winning a Nobel Peace prize would give Bono exposure to a very very different group of people who aren't really the music-buying mainstream-pop-listening guys. In the end, you are correct, the album will be judged in its own merit - but the additional exposure Bono will get with this totally different market (the Nobel market, and not the U2 market) will give U2 more "judges" who will judge the album on its own merit - meaning a bigger audience and more sales/listeners.

Cheers,

J

Basstrap said:
I don't think anyone implied bono did it for egotistical reasons. I think he just said bono has a big ego and that makes him a less likely canidate

I think his heart is in the right spot, and he is doing more than 99% of all celebrities to ease the pain of others. However, there are many more people who deserve this award more

Well said! Bono is indeed an exceptional celebrity with a heart almost as big as his ego - but he is no Nobel guy.

Cheers,

J

I never said Bono's motivation is "strictly egotistical". Please re-read my previous posts.

As for an example of someone who has improved the human race for not an egotistical reason, the easiest example is a person Bono and I look up to very much - Jesus Christ.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
said many many times in my past posts that Bono's saving the world actions are very good - for the exposure of U2, for the publicity, for the dying children and for massaging Bono's ego.

THIS Jick. You are OBSESSED with Bono and his fucking ego! It's sick! All you care about is the "new album" the "new album"!!! If Bono would quit U2 tomorrow and devote all of his waking time to trying to get through to people like you, I would NEVER utter a single word of complaint. What is your sick fascination with his ego anyway? Are you trying to be Sigmund Freud or something?

And if you're so into Jesus Christ, than why do you twist His words into saying negative things about Bono?

Not to mention the fact that you still have NO PROOF for anything you say.

THIS Jick. You are OBSESSED with Bono and his fucking ego! It's sick! All you care about is the "new album" the "new album"!!! If Bono would quit U2 tomorrow and devote all of his waking time to trying to get through to people like you, I would NEVER utter a single word of complaint. What is your sick fascination with his ego anyway? Are you trying to be Sigmund Freud or something?

And if you're so into Jesus Christ, than why do you twist His words into saying negative things about Bono?

Not to mention the fact that you still have NO PROOF for anything you say.

No proof for what? Bono's "saving the world" got him a TIME magazine cover. Isn't that proof enough that it gave Bono free publicity and exposure for U2? And if you actually need proof that Bono's actions are helping the dying children then something must be wrong with you. Also, it is only human nature that all this attention helps massage one's ego.

I have never said negative things about Bono, unless you consider my saying Bono didn't deserve the Nobel prize as negative. I did not twist his words, I just applied his words to Bono's situation - that it is easier for a camel to go through a needle than for Bono to win the Nobel peace prize.

I don't have a sick fascination for Bono's ego. I haven't even read any of Freud's works. As a U2 music fan, my utmost concern is their music. Let's not fool ourselves, most of us are in this forum because of U2's music, not because of Bono's saving the world act. Very few of us, if any, know the band personally and attend their parties or gatherings. What connects us is U2's music. If Bono, Edge, Larry and Adam were just four lads bumming around doing nothing, we would have never heard of them or loved them. It is through their music. So my main concern is their music and a new album. I got hooked to U2 because of their music, not because of their activisim.

Cheers,

J

Proof that Bono's ego has ANYTHING to do with ANYTHING. I'm now totally confused as to what you are even trying to say. Jick, why do YOU think Bono does what he does?

Do you think that Bono thinks about his own ego? If not, why the hell do you keep bringing it up? I just don't understand what you're getting at....

jick, make a point and then stop trolling the thread please. it'd be really unfair to have to close this thread because you can't stop this schtick when everyone else has been having a decent conversation.

:wave: Finally! I was wondering when a moderator would step in and say something about this nonsense! (Jick's ramblings!)

jick said:

I got hooked to U2 because of their music, not because of their activisim.

Then why do you keep attacking him for just doing it for his ego (true, sometimes he tends to be megalomaniac. but if you ask me, I think U2's success so far is probably more than "fed" his ego. It's not like the band or him personally would gain much out of his activism, but the people he's trying to help are. and that's what counts.) I think we both know U2's popularity has primarily to do with their music, not with Bono's "outside" work. After all, he got into it on this level only the last few years, in between POP and ATYCLB years, long after U2 achieved it's fame.

First off, those people who decide who gets Nobel prize could most likely care less about U2 (maybe they don't even know the band's music), and second of all, suppose Bono would have won. Those people who disliked U2 in the past - be it with the "he should knock it off with his activism" claim or just "I hate Bono" argument - will hate the band and him even more.

*edit* I doubt majority of the fans know he was even nominated. And I wonder how many of them would care - let's face it, even some fans are tired of his activism.

Last edited:
This thread is on thin ice. If the attacking of ANY member in here for their beliefs or opinions doesn't stop, its going to get closed as will any subsequent thread.

bono does a great job using his celebrity status and i'm sure that he doesn't do it for any awards becouse if he did that it simply wouldn't work

Moderators, please close this thread. It has veered too far off-topic. It has become a personal attack thread. Or at least delete all unrelated posts to this thread. I am not washing my hands, I have also been quilty contributing by "biting the bait" of people calling to me to respond to their nonsense. My apologies.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
Moderators, please close this thread. It has veered too far off-topic. It has become a personal attack thread. Or at least delete all unrelated posts to this thread. I am not washing my hands, I have also been quilty contributing by "biting the bait" of people calling to me to respond to their nonsense. My apologies.

Cheers,

J
you keep feeding the fire!
your words:
"I have also been quilty contributing by "biting the bait" of people calling to me to respond to their nonsense."

to address people's opinions that do not agree with yours as "nonsense" just starts the cycle all over again. :slant:

the question truly IS "who's biting the bait"?

i think you know the answer, jick.

if you look at this entire thread...no one had a fit about bono not winning and many actually agreed that it went to a deserving person...it's more of a case of you *enjoying* him not winning...and how he *didn't* deserve it in your mind.

It's all too negative for my palate.

yep...the thread should be closed.

we should be celebrating the fact that the Nobel Peace Prize went out to someone worthy out of a LONG list of many worthy people!

End of story.

Out of curiousity jick, with all your Bono-questioning threads, what kind of responses did you expect?

Thankyou guys for respecting the request to keep it on topic. Voice any concerns you have with any member here in the usual way. Personal attacks are not tolerated and no one is above that and no one gets exceptions.

It is quite bloody simple people, attack (if you must) the post, not the poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom