Bono coming to U. of Iowa and my quest for tickets!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kariatari

War Child
I just found out tonight that Bono is coming to the University of Iowa (only about 1 hour away from my college) to give a lecture on AIDS. The minute I found out, my roommate called her boyfriend, who goes to U of I, and told him about it. He said that he already heard about the lecture and he went and stood in line to get me tickets, but never got them.:( Fearing that I'd be too disappointed, he never told me that he even tried. Evidently there were 1,600 tickets given out, one per person and the lecture hall only holds 1,100.

Needless to say, I'm pretty bummed out. So I'm pouring all of my energy into writing to the chairman of the lecutre series board expressing how much it would mean to me to hear this lecture. I am a fan, but Bono's activism has also inspired me to become involved in a program at my university called Global Health Corps. My goal is to get my Global Health certificate and go on a short-term mission in Africa to promote AIDS prevention and educate other people about health issues in Africa. After doing the short-term, I will have opportunities to do more short-term missions or do a long-term mission. Hopefully this will result in me getting a ticket!! :)

Anyway, I'm rambling now, so I'm going to start writing the letter!! Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Ok, here's the letter to the lecutre commitee chairman. I'm not sure if he's the right person to be writing to, but he's the person who was mentioned and quoted in a press release. I

Dear Mr. Rossi,

I recently found out that Bono is speaking that the University of Iowa on Monday, December 2. Being a student at the University of Northern Iowa, I did not get the opportunity to queue for a ticket. I realize that the speakers at the University of Iowa are there for the benefit of the students of the University of Iowa, but being able to attend this lecture would mean so much to me.

I must admit that a am a fan of U2, but Bono�s actions and activism have inspired me much more than his music. In his speech at Harvard�s Class Day in June 2001, Bono told the students, "I am rebelling against my own indifference, against the idea that the world is the way the world is and there's not a damn thing I can do about it." This quote has essentially become my mantra and is exactly how I wish to live my life. Bono�s involvement in organizations such as DATA, Drop the Debt, and Artists Against AIDS worldwide have opened my eyes to the alarming situation in Africa. Bono�s passion and determination to make the world a better place has motivated me to become involved in a program at the University of Northern Iowa called the Global Health Corps. Through this program, I hope to get the opportunity to actually travel to Africa and promote AIDS prevention and educate people about other health issues that affect their daily lives.

I know there is extremely limited seating for this event, but I would be ever so grateful if you would be so kind as to give me a ticket, and the once in a life-time opportunity, to see and hear a man whose life has had a profound impact on how I lead my life.

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter.

Sincerely,

Kari

I'm going to revise it a bit and most likely i'll put it in a more business like format. I'm just looking for suggestions from you guys. If you can give me pointers, that'd be great! Thanks! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Try looking on eBay. I had a connection trying to get me a ticket to see him in Nebraska and she didn't get enough so I ended up buying one from the Omaha Classifieds, but that same person had more on eBay that could be bought instantly or auctioned and my friend got one of those.

I refuse to buy concert tickets from scalpers and I most definitely refuse to place a bid for the tickets that are up for sale on eBay. Considering the fact that Bono is not charging an honorarium fee for the lectures and the tickets were GIVEN away, I find it appalling that people are trying to make profits off of them. I'm sure Bono would be equally disappointed and appalled too. :tsk:

Last edited:
kariatari said:
I refuse to buy concert tickets from scalpers and I most definitely refuse to place a bid for the tickets that are up for sale on eBay. Considering the fact that Bono is not charging an honorarium fee for the lectures and the tickets were GIVEN away, I find it appalling that people are trying to make profits off of them. I'm sure Bono would be equally disappointed and appalled too. :tsk:

So true. :yes: I have to empty my saving account and use all my grandma's Christmas money on this, but I'm from Michigan so it's a 15 hour trip either way and paying the money for the ticket is worth the peace of mind that I can actually get in. It was a last resort for me.

Kariatari, I just read on datadata.org that Bono is coming to Waterloo the day after his Iowa City appearance - and tickets for that aren't even available yet!

Last edited:
WHAT?! where did you hear that!! OMG!! i'm not going to be able to sleep tonight at ALL! (Which is not a bad thing, considering I still have to finish a chem lab write-up and a bio lab report...not to mention pack my bags for thanksgiving vaca!!)

If this is true, Bono's shades, you TOTALLY made my day!!! :) :)

Me = :hyper: :combust:

OK...so I checked out the site and it does indeed say that DATA will be in Waterloo, but doesn't say whether or not Bono will be there to speak. :( I'll go even if he doesn't speak, but damn...I hope I hope I hope he comes!!!!

Ok...I got an e-mail back from the chairman of the U. of Iowa Lecture Committee. He said that he was very sorry but that there were no tickets left. However, he also went on to mention that there would be additional seats available on the day of the event, so he recommended that I attend anyway because I have a good chance of either getting one of those extra seats or watching the speech on a live video feed.

So anyway, my roommate and I are going to hop down to Iowa City on Monday and test our luck.

Back
Top Bottom