BONO can you please get back to the studio?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Sad Punk said:
Why do you take everything people say about Bono to heart? For all either of us know, these statistics could be accurate!

....or not!

The activism just seems to take more of his time because it gets more media coverage.

Just imagine we would get media reports for everytime Bono shows up in a recording studio or joins Edge to work on some songs together or sits down in his living room to write a couple of new pieces.

Breaking News: U2 singer Bono has just woken up from what appears to have been a very interesting dream in his Dublin home, grabbed a pen next to his bed and wrote down some very promising new lyrics. Will this become the next U2 smash hit?

:wink:

onyourkneesboy said:
Yes, i've said this before but regarding the topic i felt this had to be said again. It's a little harsh at times, I know, but it's for the good cause now that there's a new album coming up:\.

I cannot accept most of your argument.

If you want "Streets" and UF and "Please", then uh, you got them. Please enjoy them all you want.

Some of us - like me - adore COBL. I do not find it cliche. Does it sound more like a song we might find on UF - R&H? Perhaps, but it should be noted that the song was originally written during the "Pop" era - an era so many adore for being so different. What I find odd about that era is that for all the differences, there sure are a LOT of similarities to prior U2. Even Billy Corgan stated that "Pop" felt like a "best of" collection from U2 in terms of the sounds it covers. I fully agree with that assessment. For every "Mofo" we have a "If God Would Send...". For every "Do You Feel Love", there's a "Staring at the Sun".

But let's go further back in time. I recall a woman stating how she adored the UF-R&H era, especially JT/R&H. So she was wildly disappointed with AB. She felt she "lost" her U2. But the first song she ever heard from "Zooropa" was "Stay" - and she felt she had her U2 back (until she listened to more of the CD). The point of this story is that a die-hard JT fan still found JT-esque songs on the "alternative album of the year".

This has always been U2's style. There's some punk, there's some slow, there's some anthems, there's some pop and there's some rock. "War" had it. UF had it. JT had it. AB had it. And definitely ATYCLB and HTDAAB had it. Why there's this backlash against the new while the old is cherished and worshipped puzzles me.

I can only guess than in another 15 years, if U2 actually release some sort of "reunion" album, fans will glorify ATYCLB and HTDAAB along with the JT's and AB's.

With regards to this thread, Bono's lyrics have been sometimes simple, sometimes a bit stretched and sometimes wildly popular. Despite some of his weaknesses (and note, he's trying to get an entire message out in 4 minutes, which includes refrains and usually some instrumental sectons), I rank him up there with the Dylan's and Morrison's as one of the best lyricists ever. For every powerful Beatles' song, there was a "I Wanna Hold Your Hand". Sometimes pop/rock music is just meant to be fun. I can rock out to "What I Like about You" in my car. It's a bit tougher to do so to songs that are too deep or too involved.

As such, I appreciate some of the lighter moments Bono has added in. And even his light moments, like "Elevation", are still shrouded with meaning and depth ("Elevation" being a song about redemption). Not bad for a fun pop song with the word "mole". :)

Does Bono's charity work pull him away? Yep. And good for him. Yes, I'd love new U2. But in the grand scheme of things, helping millions of people is a bit more important. Bono will find time for both. In fact, I am actually quite glad Bono has this work. He's a wealthy middle-aged man. The angst of his youth is gone. Sounding like a rebel at 25 is hot. At 45, well... This work definitely inspires Bono and it shows. He said that when one is 16, one feels like one could change the world. At 47 he really is changing the world.

Do I love all new U2? No. Do I love all old U2? No. I can find songs on each album that should have been tossed or delegated to b-side material. What makes me a fan is that usually I adore 60-70% of each album. U2 seem to be lyrically and musically in sync' with what I'm seeking. If there's ever a time where that changes, well, there's OCEANS of other bands out there. Discover them.

:up: :up: :up:

I completely agree. I've never understood people thinking that all their old stuff was perfect, and their current stuff is just shit. I think part of this comes from the fact that we mainly hear only the very best of the older eras during shows, best-of albums, even just shuffling through our iPods. I love their new stuff, and I would have to say that they are way better, consistantly, than a lot of their early stuff. Let's not hold them to an impossible standard (knowing that in 10 years we'll be remembering it as the "good old days" ). And you know what, if what they're putting out doesn't float your boat, no one's forcing you to listen. As doctorwho said, there's plenty of other bands out there. There's also plenty of us who do like their current stuff.

And just in regards to his activism, it is appalling that anyone wouldn't be able to recognize that this is a bit more critical in the broader scheme of things. We're talking about actual lives who depend on the decisions that Bono persuades world leaders to make. It is unfathomably selfish to whine about this supposedly taking up too much of his time. Plus, as Bono has said, being in activism has made him appreciate being in U2 much more, and I believe he has always indicated that being a rocker is his REAL job. And what's more, he may be doing this too, but if he wasn't, would they really be putting albums out much sooner? They haven't been a mand to put out albums ever year pretty much since the beginning (which is probably a good thing). We should feel blessed and grateful to have now nearly 30 years of amazing music from U2, and still no end in sight. Here in the U.S. it's Thanksgiving Day, and U2 is definitely one thing I am thankful for today. :heart:

Could I just say at this point, I think vertigo stands up as one of their greatest songs.

IT IS TAKING ATLEAST 4 YEARS FOR ANOTHER ALBUM PROBLABLY 5 YEARS AND if bono had more focus on the album things would be a lot better and run more faster...

I hope i am proven wrong but i dont think they are putting in the time to make the best u2 album yet.

Jeffo17 said:
I hope i am proven wrong but i dont think they are putting in the time to make the best u2 album yet.

The best U2 album is Achtung Baby.

There will be nothing EVER that beats that album.

lol

Jeffo17 said:
IT IS TAKING ATLEAST 4 YEARS FOR ANOTHER ALBUM PROBLABLY 5 YEARS AND if bono had more focus on the album things would be a lot better and run more faster...

Tell me again, why you lay everything on bono? Is Edge asking for another album faster than Bono? And how do you know? Please tell us, because you seem to know something we don't...

Jeffo17 said:
IT IS TAKING ATLEAST 4 YEARS FOR ANOTHER ALBUM PROBLABLY 5 YEARS

Okay, and...? What exactly do you want anybody to do about it? Frankly, they're not going to listen to one person on a board who wants them to hurry up, so you really don't have any other choice right now besides continuing to wait. I'm no fan of waiting, either-I would love new U2 material right now as much as anybody else, believe me. But the old saying is true, patience really is a virtue. Besides, there have been other times in their career where there's been a bit of a wait in between albums, why do people keep acting surprised that it's taking so long this time? You can't rush the creative process, that makes the result suffer more than anything else. I love writing stories, but I like writing them at my own pace. I don't like being rushed, and I imagine U2 is probably the same way. I find this whole "give me this NOW" culture a bit odd and irritating-personally, when I get something I want after having had to wait a while for it, I tend to appreciate it a lot more.

Let them take as long as they need, let them make sure the album is the way they want it (since they're the ones who'll have to perform these songs night after night when they tour again-I'd like them to be enthused about the songs they're going to be singing a bajillion times). In the end, the wait is more than likely going to be worth it.

Also, Rosebud and doctorwho, excellent posts :up:.

Angela

Jeffo17 said:

In which time you had two standalone singles, a few Dvd's, some previously unreleased material and obviously a world tour.

You sure expect a lot from a band that have been going for 25 years.
What band actually fulfills this insatiable desire for new material that you have?

All they are trying to do is make a great album, and if you knew anything about U2 you would know that it doesn't just happen for them, it takes time and a lot of trial and error.

Which would you rather, a half thought out, inconsistent album in two weeks, or wait another year and half a potentially classic U2 album?

Patience IS a virtue.

Back
Top Bottom