Bono calls for U.S. to repatriate Hicks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Bono calls for U.S. to repatriate Hicks

BRISBANE, Australia - Irish rock group U2 opened an Australian tour with a call for the only Australian terror suspect held by the U.S. military at Guantanamo Bay to be repatriated and tried at home.

ADVERTISEMENT

Activist lead singer Bono interrupted the band's anthem "Sunday Bloody Sunday" at a concert in the city of Brisbane Tuesday night to call for alleged Taliban fighter David Hicks, 31, to be brought back from the U.S. military base in Cuba where he has been held for almost five years without trial.

"In our 20s, we used to do a lot of work for Amnesty and tonight we're still working for them," said Bono, referring to the campaign by London-based human rights group Amnesty International to end Hicks' incarceration.

"We're calling for David Hicks to be brought back to Australia to face fair trial here," Bono, also a leading advocate for canceling developing countries' debts, told the audience of 50,000.

Prime Minister John Howard's center-right government, which has sent troops to support the U.S.-led war in Iraq, has come under mounting domestic pressure to ensure the former kangaroo skinner is tried soon or sent home.

But Howard refuses to ask Washington to repatriate Hicks, arguing that he cannot be tried in Australia because the terrorist activities he is accused of in Afghanistan in 2001 were not prohibited by Australian law at the time.

Hicks has pleaded not guilty to charges of attempted murder, conspiracy to commit war crimes and aiding the enemy. But those charges were withdrawn after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in June that the military tribunals were illegal.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061108/ap_en_mu/australia_u2_guantanamo

hahaha does anyone else feel some political fire mounting in Bono? First the Saints video and now this. I think he's getting a little fed up with these politicians promises with little action.

AchtungZooropa said:
hahaha does anyone else feel some political fire mounting in Bono? First the Saints video and now this. I think he's getting a little fed up with these politicians promises with little action.

It does seem like he's getting some teeth again.

AchtungZooropa said:

Yep, and I like it :wink:

MMmm Wonders what next :hmm:

- Asking The Iraq war to be over
- US and Europe hands off Amazonia ........
- Save more kitten

tonyhotland said:
publicity stint, my friend said :(

And U2 or Bono need the publicity why?

Is your friend so cynical (like many anti-Bono naysayers) that they think every action Bono or U2 does is to promote a new album? So was their efforts in Live Aid, Green Peace, AI, Sun City, etc. all done to promote JT? Was their Sellafield romp done to promote AB? Did they donate all the proceeds from various singles just to promote an album?

Sorry your "friend" feels this way. :rolleyes:

I agree with this, that he should be tried at home. I have to admit though, it irritates me at as an AIUSA member who is registered for updates re: Guantanamo that I have not received an email about this person.

I realize the guy is an Australian citizen but I would think letters from US citizens would be just as effective as one from Aussies, especially considering the sort of lackluster response that John Howard has given the issue. i.e. not that much publicity and his govt has accepted the military commission there as fair trials. Complete BS.

I'm just cranky because while I fully support AI and their efforts, sometimes I think the way they do things is a bit convuluted. I take the issues at GT Bay very seriously. I couldn't find anything about this guy or a few others I know who are petitioning for release for trial on their torture blog.

Last edited:
oktobergirl said:

I'm just cranky because while I fully support AI and their efforts, sometimes I think the way they do things is a bit convuluted. I take the issues at GT Bay very seriously. I couldn't find anything about this guy or a few others I know who are petitioning for release for trial on their torture blog.

Because our government and your government want him to be forgotten.

Back
Top Bottom