Bono calls edge a sissy(as a guitar player)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaun vox

New Yorker
Bono: "We rock hard in our subject matter, we rock hard emotionally, but Edge, as you know, Edge is a bit of a sissy, he doesn't like to turn it up to eleven very often, he doesn't want to break his nails..."

Edge (laughing): "That may be the case Bono, but who came up with the riff? The thing about 'Vertigo' is that it's original in a form that's hard to be original in...and this felt like a time to write a song that was all about the pure visceral energy that rock 'n' roll has always had..."

this is taken from u2.com Sandstorm in Spain. Vertigo Shoot Part II
ps and full metal jacket is vertigo the mother of all rock songs

YA RIGHT :coocoo:

At least The Edge can play his guitar. Bono wish he could play guitar but he is crap. Put the guitar away and concentrate on the lyrics, Bono. That's already hard enough for you. And try to sing in tune.

Laurent24, sweetie, try decaf! :laugh:

The boys being funny :up: Good to see them in a lighthearted mood for intreviews. Bodes well.

Cheers ~Ultra

:eeklaugh: Lauren you don't know Bono! He loves Edge and he'd never say anything that could hurt him or put the band in a bad position.
Poor Bono! The things you say about him! He already gives so much of himself! And he's funny!

Only joking. I would never try to hurt poor Bono's feelings:sad:.
But you'll have to admit that he can't play the guitar:madspit: !!

Why can't he play the guitar? I've heard him play the guitar many times on bootlegs and he plays whatever he intends to play. If you are referring to Bono playing 'Air guitar' on offical concert video's, that doesn't mean he can't play, it just means the mixing is cutting out Bono's guitar playing for whatever reason.

Good point, and look to the popmart video, Bono playes very good guitar on Staring At The Sun. He CAN play guitar.
But he's not better than me :wink:

We will hear Bono rock out on the guitar on this album.

Dallas Schoo specifically mentioned that Bono's guitar playing has really come of age. Good enough in fact, that it has allowed Edge to explore many new areas and sounds with his guitar that he otherwise wouldn't have been able to.

Remember, this is coming from Dallas.

laurent24 said:
Only joking. I would never try to hurt poor Bono's feelings:sad:.
But you'll have to admit that he can't play the guitar:madspit: !!

Yes, but NOT that he can't write lyrics ... and NOT that he can't sing!

edit: Actually ... Staring At The Sun is not bad - not bad at all.

Last edited:
"I'd like to play guitar very badly, and I do play guitar very badly"
-Bono

Bono knows some chords, he's no Edge by all means. Remember as a songwriter Bono also uses the acoustic guitar when coming up with song ideas and singing songs he has written for the band.

I didn't mean to say that Bono's lyrics are not good. He just sometimes forgets the lyrics on stage. I was just joking but it came out a bit stupid. No disrespect meant to Bono.

Bono's guitar playing is passable.

His piano playing, on the other hand...

Edge is the F%$# man, no other guitar player moves me like he does, John F. from the Chilli peppers comes in right behind him (not mentioning guitarists that arent playing anymore). But, to make Shaun Vox happy, at the moment I am listening to a GNR bootleg from 92 where Slash is playing a great guitar solo (from the "Godfather" theme).

Back
Top Bottom