Bono Banned?....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bayernfc

Refugee
Well probably there was a thread about this a while back and I'm not sure if this is even true......I've heard a rumor that Bono was banned from speaking at the Oscars because of his political work....is that even true (probably not)?

*is a bit behind on all this rumor stuff*
:wink:

They probably just dont want him cursing like he always seems to do.... hehe

If I'm not mistaken, (please don't let me be):lol: That was just before the Grammys. It was reported the grammy officals didn't want anyone making political statements...blah blah blah. But, the officials said they aren't in the habit of censoring anyone, as long as they stay in the time frame alloted for thanking everyone.
There didn't seem to be a lot of that happening anyway...:censored:

Last edited:
I don't believe this rumor. If somebody wins an Oscar, there's no way they can be banned from making an acceptance speech. And why would they single out Bono? I know he just recently started speaking out against the impending war with Iraq, but there's lots of celebrities who are even more vocal about the issue. I think what may be happening is the Academy is advising ALL nominees and presenters not to make remarks that are political in nature when they are at the podium, which is what I believe also happened before the Grammys. (Personally I think that policy sucks - I hate censorship. Let people say what they want.)

(edited for typo)

Last edited:
Why on earth ban Bono from the Oscars? That's stupid, his band is nominated for an Oscar!! Why don't they also ban the other celebrities who've made political statements recently? I doubt if there's any truth to this rumor. I sure hope not. I hate censorship too.

If they would ban Bono from the Oscar's and they might also ban all the Hollywood Celebrities for their political beliefs, especially since we might be going to war. No I don't believe this rumor one bit.

It's not an issue, really. Actors/musicians have always voiced their opinions at the oscars. The only issue is if they can edit it quick enough. Bono, with all due respect, says what his particular passion moves him at the moment. I don't really think he "planned" to say what he did at the Golden Globes, f*****g brilliant, but that's what popped out. I personally happen to believe he is f*ing brilliant, however, as with most of us, some habits are hard to break.. With all that said, (and with all things heating up globally) he is being more careful, i'm sure....

I heard a rumor they didn't give Richard Gere a nomination because they were afraid he'd get up there and go into one of his political tirades. Who knows. It sucks if they would deprive someone of an Oscar or the opportunity to accept it because of something like that.

U2Kitten said:
I heard a rumor they didn't give Richard Gere a nomination because they were afraid he'd get up there and go into one of his political tirades. Who knows. It sucks if they would deprive someone of an Oscar or the opportunity to accept it because of something like that.

I kind of wondered if the fact that he did go into a political statement when presenting awhile back did hurt his chance at a nomination.

I did see on one of the entertainment shows that they have asked Richard Gere to be a presenter and he has accepted. In my opinion if they are willing to invite him to do so based on past experience that Bono being banned for fear of going off on a political tangent is rumor.

I have no doubt, (oooh love- no doubt ) that could be true, U2Kitten. I just hope that it has no bearing on the outcome. I know politics play a huge role in a lot of decisions. Petty as it seems and even though Hands is a much deserving winner, it is being judged by the "whims" (likes or dislikes) of the academy officials. That's why I don't lend to much credence to their opinions. But on a think positive note, it's going to be so satisfying when they accept.:dance: :happy:

Last edited:
bayernfc said:
Well probably there was a thread about this a while back and I'm not sure if this is even true......I've heard a rumor that Bono was banned from speaking at the Oscars because of his political work....is that even true (probably not)?

*is a bit behind on all this rumor stuff*
:wink:

I remember reading this awhile ago too, but I'm pretty sure it was in The Answer Guy's column on atu2.com. In that case, I'm sure it's not true.

If it's true, I don't think it has anything to do with him cursing or saying fuck or whatever, I think they don't want people using the awards as a political platform where everyone can quick throw out their personal opinions. I guess if that's true, it only seems logical to ban someone like Bono who's notorious for going on about his beliefs. I doubt he'd be banned from speaking, but he may have been warned about saying anything political.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
If it's true, I don't think it has anything to do with him cursing or saying fuck or whatever, I think they don't want people using the awards as a political platform where everyone can quick throw out their personal opinions. I guess if that's true, it only seems logical to ban someone like Bono who's notorious for going on about his beliefs. I doubt he'd be banned from speaking, but he may have been warned about saying anything political.
yeah. often times when people who have notoriously bad mouths like rappers go onstage, they have a slight delay so any cuss words can be bleeped out.

KhanadaRhodes said:

yeah. often times when people who have notoriously bad mouths like rappers go onstage, they have a slight delay so any cuss words can be bleeped out.

Virtually nothing is live on television any more.

Saturday Night Live isnt even live. How sad is that?

I guess we just have to wait and see 'till the 23rd........Hands better win......... and just for the record.......I loved his acceptance speech on Golden Globes, Pure innocent expression of joy.

Actually, while Bono may have a notoriety for saying words the people don't like on the air, he doesn't get off on political tangents the way some other people do on awards shows. He used the "f" word at the Golden Globes but he didn't say anything about politics.

verte76 said:
Actually, while Bono may have a notoriety for saying words the people don't like on the air, he doesn't get off on political tangents the way some other people do on awards shows. He used the "f" word at the Golden Globes but he didn't say anything about politics.

Good point. I think he knows the proper time and place to delve into any kind of political agenda.

Besides I think that every person who presents or is nominated will most likely get some kind of warning considering the possible war etc.

Back
Top Bottom