Bono at the White House today- photos and story!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martha

Blue Crack Supplier
Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Originally posted by Desire4Bono:

capt.1016135467.bush_foreign_aid_wh103.jpg

Ok, is anyone else finding this picture incredibly odd?? I love what Bono is doing, but I just can't get past how freaking weird it is seeing our little Bono hanging with world leaders. I know it's just me, and I'll get over it.

------------------

She's a little lightheaded, so check on her in a few minutes -- my podiatrist, about me (again), 2-11-02

Originally posted by martha:
Ok, is anyone else finding this picture incredibly odd?? I love what Bono is doing, but I just can't get past how freaking weird it is seeing our little Bono hanging with world leaders. I know it's just me, and I'll get over it.

Come on Martha! This is F*&##@% SWEET! Further proof of just how more willing GW is to face issues outside the country than his father. I know this is not FYM or PLEBA
wink.gif
, but I really love both of those guys in the photo. In a brotherly way, of course.

And I never heard that statement before from ANYONE when Bono was having his picture taken with Bill Clinton!

Originally posted by Desire4Bono:
C'mon cough it up! Who could say no to this face?!

1016135552.1476862076.jpg

capt.1016135467.bush_foreign_aid_wh103.jpg

Our friend in high places!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Desire4Bono (edited 03-14-2002).]

Bono holds up peace sign next to Commander of Chief of US Military in charge of war.

Thats a WAR for PEACE though.

So I guess Bono's going to start drinking with the Bush twins' now
wink.gif
--> (the Wanderer)
biggrin.gif

This is what we call "bipartisanship." No, this isn't the Republican definition, upon where Democrats are simply to cave in to Republican demands, but one where Bono used his appeal to go beyond party lines. I really doubt that Bono supports most of the Bush platform, but he's not American. All he was concerned with was debt relief, and he used diplomacy on what could have been an otherwise hostile president. I think Bono has learned in age that change is best achieved working through the existing system, rather than just bucking the system, which was the preferred choice of U2 in the 1980s.

In other words, Bono is being nice to Bush only because he has something that he wants (debt relief) and cannot get without Bush's approval.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Originally posted by melon:
[B All he was concerned with was debt relief, and he used diplomacy on what could have been an otherwise hostile president

[/B]
Once again you let your distaste for Bush control an otherwise good post. "Hostile" really hasn't been apparent from this man, who has been moved to tears twice on television which is not something you can just "control".

But I suppose you are going to come up with a hundred different reasons why he is hostile and I'm wrong. Like you said last summer; you will hate him no matter what he accomplishes.

*sigh*

I think I need to escape from myself again. Anything I post as "melon" is automatically assumed to be "hostile" itself.

By "could have been an otherwise hostile president," I meant that conservatives are not generally receptive to an idea like debt relief, mostly because it really means that America has to give away money at taxpayer expenses. It is really quite a liberal idea when it comes down to it.

However, *could* is the operative word. You and I both know very well that politics is a form of performance art, with most of it just kissing up to the camera. That is what I meant by it. I think Bono surely knows how to manipulate the camera like any corrupt politician, and that doesn't mean that he shares ideals with Bush outside of what is necessary to get his debt relief lobbying through. "Lobbying" is exactly what this is. Nothing more, nothing less.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Originally posted by z edge:
Once again you let your distaste for Bush control an otherwise good post. "Hostile" really hasn't been apparent from this man, who has been moved to tears twice on television which is not something you can just "control".

Yes, the fact that he has emotions obviously excuses him pointing nuclear missiles at 3 billion people for no apparent reason.

Personally, I don't know how Bono feels about Bush. But I'm not going to assume that just because of this meeting, Bush suddenly has given debt relief a high priority. Melon is trying to be a realist here, but apparently any questioning of motives or relations here would be uncalled for in any way.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Like you said last summer; you will hate him no matter what he accomplishes.

And I never said such a thing. I have good reason not to trust him, which makes me question his sincerity, which I question of all Republican politicans (note: this is on *politicans,* not all Republicans in America). If he actually *accomplishes* something, then I'll give him credit where due, but words mean absolutely shit.

I have the "good Republican" Governor John Engler here in Michigan, who is well-known for his election year stunts that look like they help the common man, but are filled with so many loopholes that it was just a ploy to cover up the fact that he did nothing the previous three years of his term. Thank goodness for term limits on this "good Republican" jackass. I hope he gets a flat tire on the way out from the highways he neglected over the past decade.

Melon

------------------

A good start is all very well if it indeed proves to be a start. However, it is just as likely that the 5 billion is money for good public relations, since it's really a tiny sum for such a mega-problem. Also, we have yet to see if the 5 billion is really given to the organizations that will use it to help people, or whether this is more cash-to-corrupt-people-that-support-US-business-interests-and-policies. Hopefully it will be the former, and more will follow.

Melon is accurate in his description of Bono's rationale and shrewd bipartisan approach. Politics is horsetrading - I give you 5 billion for your pet cause, you help me portray myself as a good compassionate leader to your constituency.

However, history does not support the idea that working through the system achieves real change. In contrast, working through the system tends to achieve token change, as those trying to change the system often end up being co-opted by the system, or are forced to compromise significantly.

Real changes (example - civil rights movement for African-Americans) take place when leaders are threatened with mass disorder/civil unrest and with being removed from their positions. Civil rights laws in the 1960s changed because of the 500,000 people marching on Washington DEMANDING change OR ELSE, not by working through the system. Take away the 500,000 people exhibiting civil disobedience, and you have nothing. Of course, it can help to use both approaches simultaneously, but given that power is taken not given, the two things that prompt politicians to compromise are a) fear; and b) personal gain (i.e. what will you do for me).

And for heaven's sake you can control tears on television. Hundreds of actors do it daily in Hollywood. (One crude system: just put an onion in your hand, squeeze, and wipe your eyes) And being moved to tears by something doesn't make one any more compassionate in another situation.

I just saw Bono on the news!

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Well, I just read the story and we find the usual conditions for aid. The countries must "open their markets", i.e. let the U.S. and other countries run roughshod over them as they have for so many years.

This is hardly news.

Originally posted by melon:
And I never said such a thing.

Typical, your right and I'm wrong. Well, okay, you said something like that. I said (not a quote) something to the effect that if he (GW)were to find a cure for AIDS, have world peace, cure for other diseases and such things would you still hate him( or maybe dislike) and you said "yes". Have you forgotten, or are you still going to deny it?

I have good reason not to trust him, which makes me question his sincerity, which I question of all Republican politicans (note: this is on *politicans,* not all Republicans in America).

You can trust all Democrats though
rolleyes.gif

If he actually *accomplishes* something, then I'll give him credit where due, but words mean absolutely shit.

No, I doubt you will, read above quote. And, of course, he won't accomplish anything because he is republican. The recession is still on, we did not defeat the Taliban, there wasn't a tax cut, Al Queda just defeated the US military-some logic here?

I have the "good Republican" Governor John Engler here in Michigan, who is well-known for his election year stunts that look like they help the common man, but are filled with so many loopholes that it was just a ploy to cover up the fact that he did nothing the previous three years of his term. Thank goodness for term limits on this "good Republican" jackass. I hope he gets a flat tire on the way out from the highways he neglected over the past decade.

Melon

I won't argue with this, we in my state have a guy like this who was passed over by Bush for a cabinet position for matters of trust. And this place is such a republican bible-belt it is sickening to even me. I wish we would get a liberal democrat governor next time around. In fact, I mayll vote that way depending on the choices that will be presented.

You see, I don't go and say things like I don't trust all democrat politicians. That is very cynical.

[This message has been edited by z edge (edited 03-14-2002).]

Originally posted by Foxxern:
Yes, the fact that he has emotions obviously excuses him pointing nuclear missiles at 3 billion people for no apparent reason.

Apparently you forget the fact that we have missiles pointed at us-HELLO-so they are a "deterrent" right now. And they have been pointed at other nations for a LONG time (to include the Clinton years)

Personally, I don't know how Bono feels about Bush.

Last summer, Bono praised Bush, and said to expect some suprises from him.

But I'm not going to assume that just because of this meeting, Bush suddenly has given debt relief a high priority.

Actually, if you own an "Elevation Tour Programme", go to page 4th from the last with "DROP THE DEBT" at the top of the page.

From this I QUOTE: Will the new US President listen? In fact, he has shown already some support for dropping the debt...

Melon is trying to be a realist here, but apparently any questioning of motives or relations here would be uncalled for in any way.

If you read Melon's posts, you will see that he is VERY one-sided on issues involving Republicans and he cuts them NO slack.

[This message has been edited by z edge (edited 03-14-2002).]

Can we just be proud of Bono and why he was there today, and leave partisan politics aside? Which is what Bono is doing, in my opinion.

This is one reason why he was there today..

Bono is to visit Africa to launch a fight against AIDS, it has been revealed.

The 41-year-old singer has joined forces with U.S. Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill to see the effects of the epidemic. He said: "We need money and we need countries in a position of power to put their financial weight behind combating this.

"There's such a big problem there and people don't realise what is going on. I want to go over and see for myself what can be done.The bottom line is there has to be support from America."

Bono has visited Africa frequently since he first witnessed the devastation caused by famine after the Live Aid concert.

He has become a key figure in campaigning for powerful nations to drop Third World debt.

He is now appealing for world leaders to help combat the African Aids epidemic which sees more than 2,000 babies born with the virus every week.

Bono added: "The problem with AIDS just can't go on. It's going to be one of the biggest humanitarian disasters ever. We are all trying to do the right thing. I'm trying and use my position to help ignite interest. But it's frustrating in a way because why should it take a celebrity to make people listen when there are babies, kids and mums dying in their thousands?"

I predicted this a few months ago , that President Bush and Bono would take a few photographs together.
Can anybody/Mods post the link?
thanks-
Dave

ps-
Bono knows Iam a Republican
thank you.

pss-
Also Bono has said MANY times that he thinks this administration is GENIUNELY COMPASSIONATE, so Melon my friend, if you want Bono to eat his words I would encourage you to meet w/him.
Furthuremore I do not accept the fact that Bono would 'whore' himself out as you are implying.
The Bono I know has more character and principled than that.
He is not a disingenous person.

If he starts having "sleep-overs" at Patrick Buchannan's house -that would be cause for adequate concern.
thanks-
Diamond

Z-Edge-
YOU
ROCK

DB9

[This message has been edited by Diamond The U2 Patriot (edited 03-14-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Diamond The U2 Patriot (edited 03-14-2002).]

So you scared him into doing all of this????

(the big guy is made of steel)

Good for you then!
smile.gif

Come on Martha! This is F*?#@% SWEET! Further proof of just how more willing GW is to face issues outside the country than his father. I know this is not FYM or PLEBA
wink.gif
, but I really love both of those guys in the photo. In a brotherly way, of course.

And I never heard that statement before from ANYONE when Bono was having his picture taken with Bill Clinton!

You misunderstood me! I wasn't criticizing either man! I was only commenting on the Rock Star/ Leader of the Free World connection that my brain can't process! I did say almost the same thing a few days ago when we saw Bono with Clinton and Gorbachev. It's WEIRD having your favorite pop star so involved in stuff that matters on a completely different level than pop music. That's all; nothing political.

------------------

She's a little lightheaded, so check on her in a few minutes -- my podiatrist, about me (again), 2-11-02

You misunderstood me! I wasn't criticizing either man! I was only commenting on the Rock Star/ Leader of the Free World connection that my brain can't process! I did say almost the same thing a few days ago when we saw Bono with Clinton and Gorbachev. It's WEIRD having your favorite pop star so involved in stuff that matters on a completely different level than pop music. That's all; nothing political.

Okay sorry if I misunderstood. I just got so excited when I seen those pictures of two people from two totally different spectrums together that I admire sooooo much
smile.gif

Here's a thought; I wonder if Bush gave Bono any crap about him calling his father all the time from stage during zootv?

The c-span gig is a must see if you can. Bush gives his talk with Bono to his right. He twice mentions how he appreciates Bono's insights and his dedication to the cause. After that they show about a 15 minute clip of Bono outside the whitehouse answering reporter's questions. He sounds good. He doesn't mumble or stumble too much. Very impressive.

Unfortunately only 500 million for the Global Aids Fund, which is what was expected. It's a (albeit small) start.

Originally posted by mug222:
Unfortunately only 500 million for the Global Aids Fund, which is what was expected. It's a (albeit small) start.

Well at least it's a start. 500 million more than before.

Hence the part where I said "It's a start." (I believe it's the 2nd sentence of my two sentence post.)

In reality, though, this signifies nothing but perhaps a hint of further momentum. Until the U.S. realizes that foreign aid for HIV/AIDS must be at an order of magnitude greater than what it is now (i.e. 5-15 billion a year) no lives will be saved.

Yes, I am able to read. I guess I just prefer to look at things in a more positive light. Journeys are started with a single step, and I think that it is something we should be glad about.
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom