Bono at the Top Marques event in Monaco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DreamOutLoud13 said:
Let me tell you. I had a dream once that I was at a concert and Bono sung 99 Problems with Jay-Z. It was fucking awesome :drool: So yeah, if that actually happened, I'd like it.

And Shakira is fucking hot. Have you seen how she moves her hips? If Bono did a song with her, I'd have trouble keeping in the drool.

See, here's the thing, and you may find it shocking: Different people have *gasp* different opinions, even about music. Even U2 fans have different opinions about music. In my CD collection I have U2 and The Beatles and REM. I also have Evanescence and Linkin Park and My Chemical Romance. And Madonna and Shakira and Tori Amos. I like different artists and different types of music for different reasons. I guess I'm just openminded :shrug:

And yes, I can agree that Bono does whore himself out for his cause. It's easier to get the easily distracted youth of America to pay attention to something other than their XBox if you use something they can relate to. More kids are gonna listen to somebody that's young and hot and mainstream than someone old enough to be their father.
If Bono wants to go on American Idol and sing with Alicia Keys (who is actually a very talented young woman) in order to get generation Y passionate about something other than the latest GTA game and Cloverfield movie, then more power to him.

But let's be clear on something. What Bono does on his own time, even musically, is not the same as what Bono does with U2. I highly doubt that just because Bono likes hanging out with mainstream, even R&B, musicians, that U2 is going to put out an album in that vein.

You know, Bono seems to be trapped in a void of 'damned if you do, damned if you don't', no matter what he does, somebody's going to have a problem with it. If he spends any money on himself, he gets criticized, because he's supposed to be Ireland's Ghandi or something. But if he actually did turn his nose up at money, material goods, and whatever Hollywood party he gets invited to, he'd be damned for being a stuck-up elitist.

Some people may find this hard to believe, but... Bono is human. He works hard for the money he makes, and on his own time, if he wants to kick back and relax and hang out with Posh and Becks, then why shouldn't he? Bono probably played with toy cars when he was little, and now he's old enough and fortunate enough to have the opportunity to attend car shows and play with the real thing.... would you expect him to say to himself 'Oh no, I'd better not go, someone on the internet might think that I've sold my soul to the almighty Euro.'

Bono's not some holy deity of fighting the power and being better than anyone that likes a little frivilousness. I don't think he ever was.

bonosting86.jpg

He's a total sellout :tsk: But his hair has great body!

Holy FUCK, Dream! I don't normally like to quote an entire post like that....but that was one **brilliant** post, and not just because I agree with 99% of it, but it was just well written, well expressed, honest...man! :love: it!!

ETA: the 1% disagreement is for the Evanescence and My Chemical Romance...I don't own those...should I? ;)

Last edited:
gvox said:
Holy FUCK, Dream! I don't normally like to quote an entire post like that....but that was one **brilliant** post, and not just because I agree with 99% of it, but it was just well written, well expressed, honest...man! :love: it!!

ETA: the 1% disagreement is for the Evanescence and My Chemical Romance...I don't own those...should I? ;)
Do you like dark, pissed off, depressing songs which are preoccupied with death? If so, yes. (the death thing particularly applies to My Chemical Romance)

Why's it so hard to seperate artists from their work sometimes?

I don't care how earnest U2 and Bono are with their writing because I am at an age and understanding where I can separate what he does musically from what he does politically and recreationally.

His beliefs are real, any idiot should know this, but they should also that he's also a ridiculously wealthy rock star that can and should be able enjoy everything he has worked what he has provided for his family.

Last I heard the Ballymun Towers have been/were being demolished :shrug:

Anyway, what about the REALLY important issue: Bono in charge of 600 hp of rubber and metal, when the man cannot drive!!! :no:

DreamOutLoud13 said:
Bono's not some holy deity

Oh not? Thanx for clearing ... :eyebrow:
This thread has developed exactly the way, I feared – in a silly and senseless way, with nearly everybody explaining, why Bono is great, is human, is a charity god, is a millionaire, is this, is that – and slagging those few people off, who have the courage not be mainstream here and who do see sometimes the Bono of nowadays with mixed, even nostalgic emotions.
Just because, he lost the innocence of a rather young voice being critical with open mouth, belting his feelings out on stage with open heart – not so much caring about, what a celebrity, political or diplomatic figure he wants to be. Bono now uses 'the system' in being part of it, hoping he will be heard and accepted more by politicians and economic eggheads. I doubt that – and I see, he lost some freedom of speech for it, he lost to have the heart on the tongue.
So I sometimes look at the (wannabe?) elder statesman of today and miss the (wannabe?) rebel of yesterday – and there really is no reason to discuss, whether I am right or wrong. It's just a feeling, a sentiment, that's all... :|

ZOOTVTOURist said:

Oh not? Thanx for clearing ... :eyebrow:
This thread has developed exactly the way, I feared – in a silly and senseless way, with nearly everybody explaining, why Bono is great, is human, is a charity god, is a millionaire, is this, is that – and slagging those few people off, who have the courage not be mainstream here and who do see sometimes the Bono of nowadays with mixed, even nostalgic emotions.
Just because, he lost the innocence of a rather young voice being critical with open mouth, belting his feelings out on stage with open heart – not so much caring about, what a celebrity, political or diplomatic figure he wants to be. Bono now uses 'the system' in being part of it, hoping he will be heard and accepted more by politicians and economic eggheads. I doubt that – and I see, he lost some freedom of speech for it, he lost to have the heart on the tongue.
So I sometimes look at the (wannabe?) elder statesman of today and miss the (wannabe?) rebel of yesterday – and there really is no reason to discuss, whether I am right or wrong. It's just a feeling, a sentiment, that's all... :|

Well said!:up:

I don't want to offend anybody, but to express a feeling a get lately every time I take some time to read a thread in this board, it is like if there were some kind of "integrist" people who are judging and condemning all time, people who seem to be in possession of truth, who pay attention to day to day details and are prepared to bash anybody about the most ridiculous things, sometimes using very rude language among you. I can't understand your position, sorry, I can't.
You don't like Bono's buying expensive cars, so what?, what does it say of the man? but starting a dispute about it, what does it say about you?
I'm sure most of you take your opinion much more seriously when you write than you really feel, just to make your point, but really, at least for me, it is being truly uncomfortable, and yes, I know I should not enter the board anymore instead of writing this post, but, even if I don't post here so very often I have real respect for some people here, think about it, please.

ZOOTVTOURist said:

Just because, he lost the innocence of a rather young voice being critical with open mouth, belting his feelings out on stage with open heart – not so much caring about, what a celebrity, political or diplomatic figure he wants to be. Bono now uses 'the system' in being part of it, hoping he will be heard and accepted more by politicians and economic eggheads.

Of course he is hoping to be heard and accepted more by politicians, he's trying to effect change! :huh: You don't get change without talking to the players...it's almost as if you wish he was still some underground cult figure preaching to the shoegazing clique in that small club. You know, there are thousands of bands like that out there, and frankly, you know what they do for the world on a social/political/economic change level? Jack shit! They whine and mope, but don't do a hell of a alot. Bono wasn't really ever about that, if you stop and think about it. He has pretty consistently been about getting in there, getting his hands dirty and doing whatever he can to make change happen. So he learned tact and diplomacy as he grew up, older and more experienced, maybe even some of that experience being sometimes doing more talkig than doing...growth - this is a good thing!

Look, noone is saying you can't have your feelings or sentiments or whatever, but I just think they're not very realistic :shrug:

ZOOTVTOURist said:

who do see sometimes the Bono of nowadays with mixed, even nostalgic emotions.

Here's the problem, nostalgia will disappoint you everytime, why? Things change, people change. Nostalgia is dangerous.

And guess which Bono is getting more done? This is the part of your argument that I just don't get, do you miss the Bono of old because he somehow came off "cooler" because he could say things he doesn't now?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

And guess which Bono is getting more done? This is the part of your argument that I just don't get, do you miss the Bono of old because he somehow came off "cooler" because he could say things he doesn't now?

:up:

Frankly I think Bono says way more now, and it's more direct and pointed. And he couldn't have really done that back in the 80s, apart from between-song rants. I mean, can you see Reagan having a serious sit down with Bono? He wasn't even on the radar as that young rebel rocker, really. Even Bush Sr gave him the slag off, if I remember correctly. Guys like Clinton, GW, whoever comes next - they pretty much have to talk to him, because of who he is now. So all that fame and noteriety ends up being pretty damn useful, after all! I can't see how this is a bad thing, really.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Here's the problem, nostalgia will disappoint you everytime, why? Things change, people change. Nostalgia is dangerous.

:up: Well said, BVS.

People change, people grow. I think that Bono grew up. There's a world of difference between your early 20s and your late 40s. During that time Bono got his ass bitten by the Africa bug, had four children, hit the height of his celebrity, lost one of his closest friends to suicide, and lost his father to cancer, and aged 25 years. These are all things that individually would change a person, but Bono's been hit by it all.

Expecting him to be the same person in 2008 that he was in 1983 is absurd. To ZOOTVTOURist and onyourkneesboy, I ask you, are you the same person you were 25 years ago? Or if you're not old enough to answer that, do you expect to be the same person in 25 years that you are now?

People grow up and change and change their perspective and opinions about the world around them, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Has it ever occurred to you that Bono might be more himself now than he was back then?

DreamOutLoud13 said:

Expecting him to be the same person in 2008 that he was in 1983 is absurd. To ZOOTVTOURist and onyourkneesboy, I ask you, are you the same person you were 25 years ago?[/I].

Some people here are obviously unable/unwilling to read, understand and respect opinions, they don't share. Your question is a good example for such pseudo-analytic bla bla. Sorry to express that hard, bit hopefully you wake up ...

I just said: "I do miss the young Bono sometimes" Nothing more, nothing less. And, thanx, I know, that people change and grow up. And I even knew it before your posting. Come on, it's very simple ...

ZOOTVTOURist said:
It's been a long road from the 'Seven Towers' in Ballymun to Top Marques. A long road from a guy, who once stood – even as a billionaire – for an alternative way of thinking, of behaving, of raising his critical voice on our society, of being kind of underground, even when his group sold millions of albums.

Sometimes I really do miss the old guy. He would have never went there or at least never would have liked it there as part of 'the system', I guess. Somehow these pictures make me sad ...

You do realize that the car Bono was sitting in is an electric car, right?

www.teslamotors.com

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Granted, Bono is a rich guy, I see nothing wrong with that, neither do I see anything wrong at all with him attending events devoted to toys for rich folk.

What I do see quite a lot wrong with is that Bono wants to put his hand into OUR pockets, take OUR money, and give it to the Third World, WHEN HE'S NOT PREPARED TO DO THE SAME THING HIMSELF.

If Bono really believed what he was preaching, he'd be a poor man, which he clearly isn't, so unfortunately I'd have to conclude that he is a bit of a hypocrite.

Last edited:
financeguy said:

Granted, Bono is a rich guy, I see nothing wrong with that, neither do I see anything wrong at all with him attending events devoted to toys for rich folk.

What I do see quite a lot wrong with is that Bono wants to put his hand into OUR pockets, take OUR money, and give it to the Third World, WHEN HE'S NOT PREPARED TO DO THE SAME THING HIMSELF.

If Bono really believed what he was preaching, he'd be a poor man, which he clearly isn't, so unfortunately I'd have to conclude that he is a bit of a hypocrite.

Don't you think that's a bit of an extreme way to look at it? I don't think he's ever asked to give ALL your money away or to strip yourself of any financial security. So to say that because he's not poor that his charity work makes him a hypocrite is a poor accusation IMO.

financeguy said:

Dude! You've seen Bono's tax returns?!?!?!?! SEND ME A COPY!!! :wave: :pray: :lol:

**Bono has done so much more for the fight against extreme poverty than any of us can ever DREAM of doing. And if you don't realize this, then you have no clue what he has really been doing these past 10 years**

And fyi: extreme poverty can't be solved by people's pocket charity - it has to come from governments. Bono understands this - which is why he lobbies gov'ts instead of hosting telethons.

Overall reaction to your post:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Rosebud said:

Dude! You've seen Bono's tax returns?!?!?!?! SEND ME A COPY!!! :wave: :pray: :lol:

**Bono has done so much more for the fight against extreme poverty than any of us can ever DREAM of doing. And if you don't realize this, then you have no clue what he has really been doing these past 10 years**

And fyi: extreme poverty can't be solved by people's pocket charity - it has to come from governments. Bono understands this - which is why he lobbies gov'ts instead of hosting telethons.

Overall reaction to your post:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

We, as taxpayers, fund the governments of our respective countries.

Accordingly, if Bono is demanding money from OUR governments, it is, ultimately, coming out of OUR POCKETS. That is a simple economic fact of life.

All I ask is that people recognise this simple economic fact of life.

Last edited:
financeguy said:

dude, are you out of your mind?

"If Bono really believed what he was preaching, he'd be a poor man..."

that is absolutely fucking hilarious

and you're telling me Bono isn't prepared to do the same?

I'm sorry, your post makes very little sense, and, like Rosebud, I can't help but laugh :lol:

Bono's only donated, you know, tens of millions of dollars, and countless hours. Yeah, he's not committed at all.

There's a lot of questionable things Bono does (mostly humorous), but his dedication to poverty relief isn't one of them.

BluRmGrl said:
Perhaps this chart will help make ZOOTVTOURist's view point more understandable.

http://graphjam.wordpress.com/files/2008/03/funny-graphs-bono-sunglasses-charity-music.gif"

That chart is sooooo lame! Bono TOTALLY wears more sunglasses now!!! :tsk: :lol:

And to address financeguy's last comment, I will just say:
when Bono lobbies governments to fund development assistance, he means "make this a priority in the budget" - as in, *instead of* some of the other worthless crap governments spend our money on, try development aid to save people's (esp. children) lives and help create a brighter, more just, and likely more peaceful world for us all. :happy:

Rosebud said:

That chart is sooooo lame! Bono TOTALLY wears more sunglasses now!!! :tsk: :lol:

And it's not, that U2's "good music" stopped at the end of the 80ies. At least there should be another height around '91, hm?:lol:

Back
Top Bottom