Bono at the Top Marques event in Monaco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is nuts, I'm sorry!

onyourkneesboy said:

- Whenever there's a celebrity-party: Bono's there!

Sooo...pre '86 he didn't go to high profile partys?

onyourkneesboy said:

- Whenever you see Paris Hilton partying with, let's say some other celebrity-low-lives: Bono's there!

So let me get this straight: all celebrities are low-lives? Would it be ok for Bono to party as long as it was with you? What if it's a club that denied Paris Hilton entrance? Would it be AOK then?

onyourkneesboy said:

Whenever there's a convention about the best and expensive wine, caviar and cigars: Bono's there !

So what, exactly? It's no secret he drinks expensive wine, drives an expensive car and smokes cigars. BIG FUCKING DEAL!

onyourkneesboy said:

- Whenever he can create more millions for himself by BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH ETC ETC....

Are you some anti-establishment type? Since when does trying to increase one's net worth or even keep it intact = going astray? He's also a business man, always has been far as I remember.

onyourkneesboy said:

- Recording TERRIBLE R&B-versions of beautiful songs like "One" and "Don't Give Up" to keep up with the "pop-kids" (remember this quote?) and therefore eat out of the same bowl of millions created for nowadays R&B/pop/rap/hip-hop/nickelback-crap artists!: Bono's there !
(I could go on and on....)

Terrible versions to keep up with the pop kids? "One" was not recorded to 'keep up with the pop kids', it was recorded for A FREAKING CHARITY CAUSE!!! As was "Don't Give Up". And, they chose to do them with 2 of the most critically acclaimed and talented songstresses of our generation. You know, the kind that actually write and perform their own work, like, oh, U2? Honestly this comment is one of the most ludicrous things I've read on Interference in a long time. What have YOU done for those causes, lately? (to quote Ms Jackson, if you're nasty)

onyourkneesboy said:

But sometimes it feels like all the idealism, passion, anger, passionate songs and speeches, white flags, the old U2-controversy to the capitalistic self-indulged '80's, were just tools to get them where they are now: The Big Multi-Million Honey-pot!

Riiiiiiiight. So the capitalistic self-indulged 80s was a tool to get them where they are now...?!?! WHat exactly did "FUCK THE REVOLUTION" mean to you? :lol:

onyourkneesboy said:

I remember the time (80's) Bono would pull his nose up to artists like Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran or George Michael just because they admitted they sometimes blow-dried their hair and wore hair-gel

Do you really remember that? I think your memory is suspect. Bono TAUGHT those guys how to blow dry, color and gel their hair, are you kidding me? Take a look at any picture of Bono circa 1980-85. Just because for one album (JT) he looked like a hobo or whatever, by far the majority of the time he's looked fashionable (or at least trying to be LOL), with coiffed hair to the max!

onyourkneesboy said:

Now you can all start bashing me (I can take it!:tongue:) and proceed with analysing Bono's hair-cut and discussing the way it's trimmed, if it's blow-dried or if he uses hair-gel! All very important issues for a real U2-fan!:lol:

Tell you what: real U2 fans can handle the band having their own lives and being normal and sometimes imperfect human beings with desires and tastes of their own. We happen to talk about any number of 'issues' and can handle a variety of topics, light and heavy. Unbalanced U2 fans are still stuck back in '86 pining for the Bono that apparently lived out in the desert with only bread, water and poetry to keep him company :rolleyes:

Besides, look at your username! That's part of the indulgent capitalistic era! Travesty! Hypocrisy! :shocked:

Tizer said:

Maybe he just likes cars.

No no, you've got it all wrong! In fact, in one of the choruses of their songs, he tells us that his fast cars "won't do me no good"

So he knows, man! He knows just how corrupt those cars are, but he can't really sing about them unless he's driven them. He immerses himself in the subject, and then preaches to us dumbasses, dontcha see? It's brilliant!

Wine 'won't do me no good', but I love it...and I immerse my self in it. Which is probably why my bathtub is stained.

gvox said:
This is nuts, I'm sorry!

Sooo...pre '86 he didn't go to high profile partys?

So let me get this straight: all celebrities are low-lives? Would it be ok for Bono to party as long as it was with you? What if it's a club that denied Paris Hilton entrance? Would it be AOK then?

So what, exactly? It's no secret he drinks expensive wine, drives an expensive car and smokes cigars. BIG FUCKING DEAL!

Are you some anti-establishment type? Since when does trying to increase one's net worth or even keep it intact = going astray? He's also a business man, always has been far as I remember.

Terrible versions to keep up with the pop kids? "One" was not recorded to 'keep up with the pop kids', it was recorded for A FREAKING CHARITY CAUSE!!! As was "Don't Give Up". And, they chose to do them with 2 of the most critically acclaimed and talented songstresses of our generation. You know, the kind that actually write and perform their own work, like, oh, U2? Honestly this comment is one of the most ludicrous things I've read on Interference in a long time. What have YOU done for those causes, lately? (to quote Ms Jackson, if you're nasty)

Riiiiiiiight. So the capitalistic self-indulged 80s was a tool to get them where they are now...?!?! WHat exactly did "FUCK THE REVOLUTION" mean to you? :lol:

Do you really remember that? I think your memory is suspect. Bono TAUGHT those guys how to blow dry, color and gel their hair, are you kidding me? Take a look at any picture of Bono circa 1980-85. Just because for one album (JT) he looked like a hobo or whatever, by far the majority of the time he's looked fashionable (or at least trying to be LOL), with coiffed hair to the max!

Tell you what: real U2 fans can handle the band having their own lives and being normal and sometimes imperfect human beings with desires and tastes of their own. We happen to talk about any number of 'issues' and can handle a variety of topics, light and heavy. Unbalanced U2 fans are still stuck back in '86 pining for the Bono that apparently lived out in the desert with only bread, water and poetry to keep him company :rolleyes:

Besides, look at your username! That's part of the indulgent capitalistic era! Travesty! Hypocrisy! :shocked:

"the most critically acclaimed and talented songstresses of our generation.":lol: :coocoo:

It's obvious you are the kind of fan that when Bono farts you would still say it smells like roses! :lol::lol:

Ehmmmm.... Are you Paris?:lol: :lol: :lol::lol:

Last edited:
onyourkneesboy said:

Ehmmmm.... Are you Paris?:lol: :lol: :lol:

What does Paris Hilton have to do with anything?

You should just out and out state that you're anti-rnb or something. Bono, on the other hand, appreciates good music. It's sad that you can't, but I doubt anyone's losing any sleep over it. I bet that What's Goin On single really got up your nose too, huh?

:rolleyes:

ETA: at any rate, musical tastes aside, doesn't change the fact that 99.9% of what you wrote was utter crap. But you keep staring at that Joshua Tree poster, I'm sure it brings you much comfort. :up:

Last edited:
onyourkneesboy said:

It's obvious you are the kind of fan that when Bono farts you would still say it smells like roses! :lol::lol:

You're absolutely right, I am. I'm pathetic. I worship the ground he walks on. Are you done? Don't you have an anti-whatever rally to attend or something? :wave:

Tizer said:
Wine 'won't do me no good', but I love it...and I immerse my self in it. Which is probably why my bathtub is stained.

What have you done with yourself? I miss you when you used to be a Coors Light type. Now you've gone all decadent. It's heart-wrenching. :sad:

onyourkneesboy said:
:up: You were just a little ahead of me.. I was about to say the same thing. I totally agree with you !

I also get a 'kind of a betrayed feeling' whenever I see these kind of pics... I'm a fan since '86 and I've followed this man/band up-close since then. Of course I know about all the time and effort this man spends on the good cause, and I have very huge and humble respect for that. But still... The Bono/U2 Multinational Company seems dominant!
- Whenever there's a celebrity-party: Bono's there!
- Whenever you see Paris Hilton partying with, let's say some other celebrity-low-lives: Bono's there!
- Whenever there's a convention about the best and expensive wine, caviar and cigars: Bono's there !
- Whenever he can create more millions for himself by participating in a company that is creating (sometimes violent) video-games: Bono's there !
- Whenever there's a new gadget (I-Pod U2) that could generate more millions: Bono's happy to turn U2's music into music-for- commercials (Vertigo)!
- Whenever they can escape the regular tax-bills in their own country and therefore have to turn to Holland to save some more millions: Bono's there !
- Investing many millions into the Clarence hotel and in lawsuits and destroying the historical value of the hotel for actracting more rich millionairs and billionairs to generate more millions: Bono's there !
- Recording TERRIBLE R&B-versions of beautiful songs like "One" and "Don't Give Up" to keep up with the "pop-kids" (remember this quote?) and therefore eat out of the same bowl of millions created for nowadays R&B/pop/rap/hip-hop/nickelback-crap artists!: Bono's there !
(I could go on and on....)

My point is: I think it's totally justified that Bono's is a millionair. He (and the band) worked hard for it and they deserve it.
But sometimes it feels like all the idealism, passion, anger, passionate songs and speeches, white flags, the old U2-controversy to the capitalistic self-indulged '80's, were just tools to get them where they are now: The Big Multi-Million Honey-pot!
I would wanna know what the Bono of let's say the "War" period would think of the Bono nowadays: a chubby man who got fat on expensive wine & foie gras that smokes a big expensive cigar with a car-salesman at some kind of millionairs fair like the Top Marques because he just bought another $ 250.000 costing car!

I remember the time (80's) Bono would pull his nose up to artists like Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran or George Michael just because they admitted they sometimes blow-dried their hair and wore hair-gel and confessed they had a swimming-pool build by their house...
Well, these guys could all take lessons from nowadays-Bono when it comes to Living-It-Large!

I'm just sad that the old passion and idealism of Bono seems completely snowed under by the way Bono portrays himself in the media nowadays.

Now you can all start bashing me (I can take it!:tongue:) and proceed with analysing Bono's hair-cut and discussing the way it's trimmed, if it's blow-dried or if he uses hair-gel! All very important issues for a real U2-fan!:lol:

100% agree - thanx god, I'm not the only one feeling this way. Many regards to you ...

gvox said:

What have you done with yourself? I miss you when you used to be a Coors Light type. Now you've gone all decadent. It's heart-wrenching. :sad:

I miss him too :yes: i joined 'the system'

ZOOTVTOURist said:

100% agree - thanx god, I'm not the only one feeling this way. Many regards to you ...

How can you agree with it 100% most of it didn't even make sense?

Maybe some of you are too young to remember ZooTV Bono...:hmm:

wow Bono really is an asshole isn't he?

:|

oh and just one question for you Onyourkneesboy... why are you targeting Bono? All the arguments you gave in your post... should have been directed to the whole band, since Bono does not equal U2.. he's part of it and all those decisions were made with the five of them!(yes including Paul)
:rolleyes: U2 are a bunch of selfish arrogant twats, I should totally like, quit listening to them now... think of the kids people, think of the kids! quit while you still can!

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Oh cmon now BVS, that's where he went off into those flashy suits and all that jazz. He really lost his way there, man!

(perish the thought of actually listening to what the fucking guy was actually saying while wearing that shiny suit, huh? :huh: )

BonoVoxSupastar said:

It does make sense, much more than your posting by the way.:lol: Why? Because I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now. And ZOO TV Bono was the first step playing with his older ego, joking on it. And you know what: I can remember it, as I do miss the days, when all that jazz didn't surround the band, when U2 & Bono stood for (controversial) attitude and (alternative) music, that cought the masses ...

Galeongirl said:
wow Bono really is an asshole isn't he?

oh and just one question for you Onyourkneesboy... why are you targeting Bono? All the arguments you gave in your post... should have been directed to the whole band, since Bono does not equal U2.. he's part of it and all those decisions were made with the five of them!(yes including Paul)
:rolleyes: U2 are a bunch of selfish arrogant twats, I should totally like, quit listening to them now... think of the kids people, think of the kids! quit while you still can!

I don't think Bono is an asshole... those are your words.
But he tends to be a little bit hypocritical at times, or has a double moral:

At one time he's very critical about the music-business and about "the way things are right now". Questioning the fact that "bubblegum pop", and all the Aquilera's, Lopez, Shakira, Destiny's Childs, Jay-Z, Snoop Dog, 50 Cents, etc.. and their record-company's control the market. These are all artists that are in the business for the succes, the glamour and the big $$$. We all know that! Hell, the t-shirts of 50 Cent say (while he's pointing a gun: "Get rich or at least die trying!" Also artist like Mary J. Blige and Alicia Keys: sure they can sing but when I turn on the radio there's no escaping these artists. Didn't we already have artists like Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston showing off how hard they can yell and showing off how many twists and twirls they can put in one "sung" sentence?

Here's the proof:
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=0dqrWCnQZOw&feature=related

A little later he's in American Idol encouraging kids who all wanna be like Aquilera, Lopez and Mary J. Blige.

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=p-5vvxZ3bbo&feature=related

I'd rather have him encouraging kids for being maybe another unique voice like a new David Bowie, Morrissey, or encouraging bands like Editors, Radiohead and Keane. At least kids that wanna make music and not wanting to be like the big R&B stars that drive the big cars. That way things might become a little balanced again!

onyourkneesboy said:

At one time he's very critical about the music-business and about "the way things are right now". Questioning the fact that "bubblegum pop", and all the Aquilera's, Lopez, Shakira, Destiny's Childs, Jay-Z, Snoop Dog, 50 Cents, etc.. and their record-company's control the market. These are all artists that are in the business for the succes, the glamour and the big $$$. We all know that! Hell, the t-shirts of 50 Cent say (while he's pointing a gun: "Get rich or at least die trying!" Also artist like Mary J. Blige and Alicia Keys: sure they can sing but when I turn on the radio there's no escaping these artists. Didn't we already have artists like Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston showing off how hard they can yell and showing off how many twists and twirls they can put in one "sung" sentence?

Here's the proof:

A little later he's in American Idol encouraging kids who all wanna be like Aquilera, Lopez and Mary J. Blige.

I'd rather have him encouraging kids for being maybe another unique voice like a new David Bowie, Morrissey, or encouraging bands like Editors, Radiohead and Keane. At least kids that wanna make music and not wanting to be like the big R&B stars that drive the big cars. That way things might become a little balanced again!

And all the kids in 'One' campaign uniforms, ooops, t-shirts – while Bono's teaching his message upon already pre-positioned questions ... that's a bit frightening, folks. Hopefully there will be anybody in the U2 ibony tower to draw Bono's attention to his double moral figure ...

onyourkneesboy said:

Also artist like Mary J. Blige and Alicia Keys: sure they can sing but when I turn on the radio there's no escaping these artists. Didn't we already have artists like Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston showing off how hard they can yell and showing off how many twists and twirls they can put in one "sung" sentence?

A. Why do you feel the need to lump in MJB and Alicia into a category with people like 50cent and Paris Hilton? It's nonsensical.

B. "Didn't we already have..." - do you mean, like back in the mid 80s to early 90s? Newsflash: it's 2008, and there will always be dominant female rnb/pop artists who can belt it out like the old stars. By your logic, U2 should never be formed, because we've already had the Beatles, the Stones, Queen, and whoever else your parents think mean more than U2. The fact that Aretha and Diana already existed on planet earth didn't stop Whitney or a thousand others, did it? :rolleyes:

onyourkneesboy said:

Look, pretty much everyone here likes Bowie, Morrissey, Radiohead, etc., but who are you to judge whether or not say Alicia Key's motives are any less 'whatever' (because, truly, you make no sense on this) than say Keane's? Don't you think Bowie wanted the video and the spotlight in his heydey? I find it really ironic that you mention Keane, talk about bubble-gum pop!! Of all the artists I saw last tour, yeah they were ok and all, but they were really fluff, to be honest. It's ok, it's what they are doing. Just like any other pop stars.

And what's this 'things might become balanced again' thing? Do you care if Christina makes more money than Thom Yorke? Really?

I think you just hate rhythm and blues and it's pop offshoots. Does it bug you that clearly U2 doesn't share your distaste? :shrug:

Also, I think you might need to consider that some artists do have an ingrained need or addiction to making music - some of it, even, pop music. If that's not your type of music, fine, but don't necessarily assume that they're just churning out songs to make big $$$.

Last edited:
ZOOTVTOURist said:

And all the kids in 'One' campaign uniforms, ooops, t-shirts – while Bono's teaching his message upon already pre-positioned questions ... that's a bit frightening, folks. ...

How is this any different than in the 80s when we wore our Amnesty Int'l t-shirts??

gvox said:
I'm sorry I'm still not seeing your point. Some people think that people who wear U2 tshirts on any sort of regular basis are frightening too, to each his own?

My point:

It's been a long road from the 'Seven Towers' in Ballymun to Top Marques. A long road from a guy, who once stood – even as a billionaire – for an alternative way of thinking, of behaving, of raising his critical voice on our society, of being kind of underground, even when his group sold millions of albums.

Sometimes I really do miss the old guy. He would have never went there or at least never would have liked it there as part of 'the system', I guess. Somehow these pictures make me sad ...

And please: Don't start a "Save Bono's image"-thread now, slagging this emotion off by reminding me, what Bono might be achieving for Africa – we all already know that.

Sorry, still makes no sense. But I can philosphize, sure why not...

If anything, the message has gotten even clearer, and more pointed. The lyrics certainly have!

What do you think is a more powerful message:

- fuck the revolution
- the god I believe in isn't short of cash, mister
- am I buggin you? I don't mean to bug ya
- one
- coexist
- waiting on the crumbs...

I think the message has just gotten bigger than the individual caught up in Ballymum shooting needles up his arm to a global problem of epidemic proportions, and we either expand our vision to keep up, or we get left behind in those towers, reminscing about what was...

gvox said:

A. Why do you feel the need to lump in MJB and Alicia into a category with people like 50cent and Paris Hilton? It's nonsensical.

B. "Didn't we already have..." - do you mean, like back in the mid 80s to early 90s? Newsflash: it's 2008, and there will always be dominant female rnb/pop artists who can belt it out like the old stars. By your logic, U2 should never be formed, because we've already had the Beatles, the Stones, Queen, and whoever else your parents think mean more than U2. The fact that Aretha and Diana already existed on planet earth didn't stop Whitney or a thousand others, did it? :rolleyes:

Look, pretty much everyone here likes Bowie, Morrissey, Radiohead, etc., but who are you to judge whether or not say Alicia Key's motives are any less 'whatever' (because, truly, you make no sense on this) than say Keane's? Don't you think Bowie wanted the video and the spotlight in his heydey? I find it really ironic that you mention Keane, talk about bubble-gum pop!! Of all the artists I saw last tour, yeah they were ok and all, but they were really fluff, to be honest. It's ok, it's what they are doing. Just like any other pop stars.

And what's this 'things might become balanced again' thing? Do you care if Christina makes more money than Thom Yorke? Really?

I think you just hate rhythm and blues and it's pop offshoots. Does it bug you that clearly U2 doesn't share your distaste? :shrug:

Also, I think you might need to consider that some artists do have an ingrained need or addiction to making music - some of it, even, pop music. If that's not your type of music, fine, but don't necessarily assume that they're just churning out songs to make big $$$.

Well, then it would be best if the new album was all R&B orientated ! At least they would have one loyal fan: you! How great an album this would be: all R&B songs, some more duets with Mary J. Blige, little bitta hip-hop/rap with P.Diddy, and some latin-morrocan orientated tracks a la Lopez/Shakira.
Wow, what an album this would be, right?

Shall we count the fans here who would be in favour of this album? You might be the only one...

onyourkneesboy said:

Well, then it would be best if the new album was all R&B orientated ! At least they would have one loyal fan: you! How great an album this would be: all R&B songs, some more duets with Mary J. Blige, little bitta hip-hop/rap with P.Diddy, and some latin-morrocan orientated tracks a la Lopez/Shakira.
Wow, what an album this would be, right?

Shall we count the fans here who would be in favour of this album? You might be the only one...

Now you're just getting silly. From your own story, sounds like I was into U2 before you, and also all those other classic artists you respect, and still do love them alot. I probably listen to more old music than new. But I do have kids too sooo... As for hip hop, I'm more old school (circa late 80s early 90s) so I wouldn't be head over heels about a Diddy duet.

I do happen to enjoy a wide range of music, however, and really the two genres that we seem to be discussing only scratch the surface of my tastes. You might be surprised that I'm decidedly not the only here who thinks that way....it's a great place to be! :up:

Let me tell you. I had a dream once that I was at a concert and Bono sung 99 Problems with Jay-Z. It was fucking awesome :drool: So yeah, if that actually happened, I'd like it.

And Shakira is fucking hot. Have you seen how she moves her hips? If Bono did a song with her, I'd have trouble keeping in the drool.

See, here's the thing, and you may find it shocking: Different people have *gasp* different opinions, even about music. Even U2 fans have different opinions about music. In my CD collection I have U2 and The Beatles and REM. I also have Evanescence and Linkin Park and My Chemical Romance. And Madonna and Shakira and Tori Amos. I like different artists and different types of music for different reasons. I guess I'm just openminded :shrug:

And yes, I can agree that Bono does whore himself out for his cause. It's easier to get the easily distracted youth of America to pay attention to something other than their XBox if you use something they can relate to. More kids are gonna listen to somebody that's young and hot and mainstream than someone old enough to be their father.
If Bono wants to go on American Idol and sing with Alicia Keys (who is actually a very talented young woman) in order to get generation Y passionate about something other than the latest GTA game and Cloverfield movie, then more power to him.

But let's be clear on something. What Bono does on his own time, even musically, is not the same as what Bono does with U2. I highly doubt that just because Bono likes hanging out with mainstream, even R&B, musicians, that U2 is going to put out an album in that vein.

You know, Bono seems to be trapped in a void of 'damned if you do, damned if you don't', no matter what he does, somebody's going to have a problem with it. If he spends any money on himself, he gets criticized, because he's supposed to be Ireland's Ghandi or something. But if he actually did turn his nose up at money, material goods, and whatever Hollywood party he gets invited to, he'd be damned for being a stuck-up elitist.

Some people may find this hard to believe, but... Bono is human. He works hard for the money he makes, and on his own time, if he wants to kick back and relax and hang out with Posh and Becks, then why shouldn't he? Bono probably played with toy cars when he was little, and now he's old enough and fortunate enough to have the opportunity to attend car shows and play with the real thing.... would you expect him to say to himself 'Oh no, I'd better not go, someone on the internet might think that I've sold my soul to the almighty Euro.'

Bono's not some holy deity of fighting the power and being better than anyone that likes a little frivilousness. I don't think he ever was.

gvox said:
How is this any different than in the 80s when we wore our Amnesty Int'l t-shirts??
bonosting86.jpg

He's a total sellout :tsk: But his hair has great body!

onyourkneesboy said:

Here's the proof:

You really haven't read a word of my post eh?

ZOOTVTOURist said:

My point:

It's been a long road from the 'Seven Towers' in Ballymun to Top Marques. A long road from a guy, who once stood – even as a billionaire – for an alternative way of thinking, of behaving, of raising his critical voice on our society, of being kind of underground, even when his group sold millions of albums.

Sometimes I really do miss the old guy. He would have never went there or at least never would have liked it there as part of 'the system', I guess. Somehow these pictures make me sad ...

And please: Don't start a "Save Bono's image"-thread now, slagging this emotion off by reminding me, what Bono might be achieving for Africa – we all already know that.

Just because you repeat it again doesn't mean it's going to make sense the second time around.

"an alternative way of thinking" - what does this really mean? What's more alternative than actually get out there and talking to politicians to get change done, he could be like everyone else and just talk about on stage, but that doesn't get much done now does it?

Bono hasn't been underground since 1986, and even that wasn't "underground", so I don't know what you are talking about here. And ZooTV was the height of Bono's celebrity...

This is why you and onyourknees just aren't making sense...

Back
Top Bottom