Bono asked to perform at NBA All-Star game - Says no....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tip Top Prince

War Child
After the Boobie incident, apparently the NBA were concerned about having Beyonce perform a "risque" song with suggestive lyrics.

Bono was asked to substitute but said no due to committments.

As heard from Wall St Journal Sports Reporter speaking on NPR.

For what it's worth....

Commitments? Such as what? Hopefully that's a good sign for the album ...

intedomine said:
bono should keep away from bullshit "sports" such as basketball anyway...

haha, yeah really. I think "committments" could read: a prior decision to avoid such embarrassingly rediculous events as pro-sport All Star games :rolleyes:

Good call, Bono!

intedomine said:
bono should keep away from bullshit "sports" such as basketball anyway...

headache-->
brockport2.jpg

:sad::sad:

Wowy23 said:

You have a right to your opinion but what makes Basketball a bullsh*t sport? Please explain.

I'm only speaking for myself here, but it's not basketball I hate, just pro sports in general ESPECIALLY basketball. I don't really have any respect for people that make millions because they can dunk a basketball. I know very little about bball, but from the bits of NBA games I've been subjected too, I've concluded that pro ball is just a league of big shots who don't give a rats ass about teamwork and sportsmanship and being a role model in their everyday lives (yes, that means you Kobe!) As long as they can wear 20 pounds of jewelry and drive pimped out cars they don't really care about the well-being of anyone else. :madspit:

I really like high school and college ball, those are my favorite games to see.

It was reported that Bono turned it down after they suggested that Bono perform with Nick Carter and at the end of the song Nick Carter rips off Bono's shirt revealing Bono's nipple peircings.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I don't really have any respect for people that make millions because they can dunk a basketball.

if your local high school brought in billions of dollars in revenue per year, then the teachers who worked there would make millions of dollars per year. professional athletes get paid the amount they do because of the amount they bring in. and despite what bud selig may tell you, players still to this day make a hell of a lot less then what team owners make.

babe ruth made 125,000 a year in the middle of the depression... it's nothing new.

This week, NBA officials telephoned representatives of the Irish
rock star Bono-who has performed at NBA events in the past-to
inquire whether he might be able to perform an AIDS-awareness song
called "American Prayer" with Ms. Knowles at the NBA game, one
person involved in the matter said. That song was performed by Ms.
Knowles, Bono and others at an AIDS benefit concert in Cape Town,
South Africa, in November. The league was told Bono's band, U2, is
in Dublin recording a new album and unavailable.

What makes basketball a bullshit sport.

* The world's obsession with the American league whilst all other leagues are ignored, along with America's domination of the sport.

* The monotony of watching the ball go from one court to the other, back and forth, goal for goal.

* Rules of the game,
-not allowed to use other parts of your body for making contact with the ball, eg feet
- stupid rules about when you can bounce and how you can bounce
- if you make the slightest bit of contact with an opponent, the opponent cries foul
Theres way too many rules in this "sport"

* It's played indoors when it should be played outdoors on asphalt or concrete

* Small playing area and teams are too small.

* The arrogance of most people who play the game eg. rodman, criminals like bryant.

* too easy to score points

* it's almost essential that you have to be a tall person to play the damn thing.

* Boring to play, boring to watch, boring to follow

Last edited:
intedomine said:
What makes basketball a bullshit sport.

* The world's obsession with the American league whilst all other leagues are ignored, along with America's domination of the sport.

* The monotony of watching the ball go from one court to the other, back and forth, goal for goal.

* Rules of the game,
-not allowed to use other parts of your body for making contact with the ball, eg feet
- stupid rules about when you can bounce and how you can bounce
- if you make the slightest bit of contact with an opponent, the opponent cries foul
Theres way too many rules in this "sport"

* It's played indoors when it should be played outdoors on asphalt or concrete

* Small playing area and teams are too small.

* The arrogance of most people who play the game eg. rodman, criminals like bryant.

* too easy to score points

* it's almost essential that you have to be a tall person to play the damn thing.

* Boring to play, boring to watch, boring to follow

if i cared enough to reply... i would so rip you a new one over this... but the simpsons and the grammys are both on right now... so it'll have to wait till later...

Headache in a Suitcase said:

and despite what bud selig may tell you, players still to this day make a hell of a lot less then what team owners make.

babe ruth made 125,000 a year in the middle of the depression... it's nothing new.

exactly, like I said, I don't like ANY pro sport.

But I'm not trying to knock bball, I like it and I like to watch bball games, I just HATE the NBA, it's turned into a multi-billion dollar ego trip.

What should be noted is how the NBA is reacting to the BS that went on at the Super Bowl. They wanted a "class act" for the show, something w/ substance. Boner and Beyonce singing "American Prayer" would be perfect. Good judgement on the NBA's behalf, let's see who they do wind up going with.

Basketball is not my fave sport. but at least the NBA acknowledges AIDS and wanted Bono to sing "American Prayer."
They're a whole lot better then the idiotic NFL in that respect.

Back
Top Bottom