Bono & Politics Question !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Bono is political. No, he's not partisan. He's interested in politics mainly as ideas, not as this screwy, dysfunctional "screw my opponent" game that we commonly know as partisan politics. :censored: :censored: Bono is *way* above this :censored:. Bono is interested in politics *strictly* as ideas and causes, particularly the AIDS pandemic in Africa. The Heston thing was controversial, yes, but I think U2 wanted us to think about this issue and not necessarily take a particular position on it. The mentality in Ireland about guns is very different from that in the U.S. This is because Ireland has a real headache in the IRA, whereas we have different ideas about controlling terrorism. In Ireland guns are more associated with terrorism and less with hunting or whatever. This makes quite a difference if you ask me.

If someone is that fragile that they would be personally insulted or hurt by what a rock star said at a concert about a politician, then maybe they're better off staying home. That said, it is not really Bono's modus operandi to shoot off his mouth about specific people nowadays.

Also, are we playing a game, like 6 Degrees of Abortion or something where everything in the universe can be connected to the topic in 6 short analogies or less? I'd kiss the first person to introduce a moratorium. :wink:

EvolutionMonkey said:
BlueberryPoptart, if you dislike being lectured or having your beliefs challenged at a rock concert then you must really have hated Zoo Tv right ? :sad:

Actually it all went by too fast for me to even read it. :tsk: Was there a message? Sorry I was too 'stupid' to see it! :crack:

I never said I was 'hurt' by anything at the show. Pissed maybe, annoyed, perhaps. Hurt, no.

Suppose you went to a show and a person got up and started saying political things you didn't want to hear and didn't agree with. Wouldn't you resent being held as a paid captive audience then, or do you only defend it because you like Bono and you agree with him? What if the shoe were on the other foot?

*STILL not the author of this thread :shrug:

The last time I remember Bono taking on a person by name was the guy that said Africans couldn't take AIDS meds cause they didn't have watches (I can't remember his name sorry). Unless something grevious goes on they talk issues not people.

U2Granny - me too, I'm almost ready to say F**k it and get in trouble with the mods.

PS Katie, I hope he is a friend and not your boyfriend. Tolerance of others is an important trait.

BluberryPoptart said:
Suppose you went to a show and a person got up and started saying political things you didn't want to hear and didn't agree with. Wouldn't you resent being held as a paid captive audience then, or do you only defend it because you like Bono and you agree with him? What if the shoe were on the other foot?

Like if I supported the IRA and the band launched into Sunday Bloody Sunday? Or if I supported America's policy in South America in the 80's and the band started playing Bullet the Blue Sky. Or I loathed Aung San Suu Kyi, and U2 played Walk On.

U2 are a political band. You should know this when you enter the arena/stadium to see them play. If you're afraid Bono may say something in concert that offends you politically, then don't see U2.

ThatGuy said:

Like if I supported the IRA and the band launched into Sunday Bloody Sunday? Or if I supported America's policy in South America in the 80's and the band started playing Bullet the Blue Sky. Or I loathed Aung San Suu Kyi, and U2 played Walk On.

U2 are a political band. You should know this when you enter the arena/stadium to see them play. If you're afraid Bono may say something in concert that offends you politically, then don't see U2.

NO! I mean say you, BVS or Anitram went to a concert by hypothetical band X because you enjoyed their music, and right in the middle of the show, crunched there in GA, you had to listen to them rant on about abortion being evil murder like I do, or that everyone should have a gun, or that no gays should get married! Then wouldn't you feel like a 'paid captive audience?'

Maybe it's just me, but I assume that most people know U2 and Bono's stances on things before they go see a show. Katiegoo even stated that her friend had reservations about going.

So, would I feel alienated if I saw a show and disagreed with a band?s politics and beliefs? No, I wouldn't and if I did find myself at concert X, unfamiliar with the band, and their messages, and disagreed that strongly, I would simply leave and get over it. I look it as if I didn't know their position in the first place, I'm probably not a huge fan to begin with, so no great loss.

I've tried really hard to stay out of these arguments that have been cropping up lately, but I'm tired of it. I think we all just need to cool off. People come here for enjoyment, maybe even debate some issues. Most don't want every conversastion to end in an argument and a locked thread. And what a way to welcome a new member. (And yes, in this case, I'm guilty here, too)

Yes welcome Katiegoo, the new member, the author of this thread, not me as someone incorrectly assumed;) However, if Katie has been reading the forum, she had to expect this would be a heated topic so I hope she's not too disappointed in the responses!

Last edited:
BluberryPoptart said:
Yes welcome Katiegoo, the new member, who is not me, and I am not the author of this thread as someone incorrectly assumed;)

Ok, to go totally off topic here - the way you worded that reminds me of this big speech that Bubbles from the Powerpuff Girls went on when she thought she was Mo-Jo-Jo-Jo. It was pretty funny to remember it. it started like "I'm not Bubbles, Bubbles is not my name...." I'd search for the whole speech she made, but this computer isn't working properly and won't search. It won't let me select smilies either. Sorry if you never saw the Powerpuff girls and don't get a word of what I'm saying.

BP - for the record I don't think you are Katiegoo.

I have seen them and that is funny, thanks Anne! :happy:

Someone earlier in the thread called me the author of this thread, as if they assumed I made an alias just to stir something up and said they knew the 'real point' of this thread which was unfair to both me and katiegoo. I was so happy when she showed up right at that moment so everyone could see we were both online at once! I think that's what the person meant, or possibly they got it mixed up with the now closed 'hate Bono' thread which I had started. Either way, this is katie's question and thread, not mine!

If anyone missed it and has no clue as to what I mean, here again is that post:

Originally posted by letitgo
Thanks, U2Girl, for clarifying that this thread's author was already on a pro-life rant in a more appropriate forum. It confirmed, for, me, what I suspected as I read the thread.

The topic of this thread is not about a "friend" attending a concert who might be offended if Bono slips any political comments in. Anyone that freaking "delicate" better stay at home with the TV off for the next 3 months, cause there's going to be a lot of bashing and people (entertainers) saying things that he won't like. David Letterman's monologue might make him weep openly.

Rather, the author is seeking to start a platform here about Bono having any views at all that he expresses in concert, and how offensive they are if one happens to disagree, as he obviously would on some.

I think 'letitgo' owes both me and katiegoo an apology:|

Last edited:
BluberryPoptart said:

NO! I mean say you, BVS or Anitram went to a concert by hypothetical band X because you enjoyed their music, and right in the middle of the show, crunched there in GA, you had to listen to them rant on about abortion being evil murder like I do, or that everyone should have a gun, or that no gays should get married! Then wouldn't you feel like a 'paid captive audience?'

I understand what you're saying, but I was using U2 as an analogy. I could have said it would be like going to a Dave Matthews Band Concert and being surprised that everyone there is smoking pot. Or going to a Phish concert and being mad that they're playing 45 minute versions of songs. My point is you know what you're seeing when you go to see it. Has any popular band pulled some kind of totally unexpected stunt like what you describe?

Interesting what the search on suspicious alters can reveal.

Those of you who are posting with alters in this thread, had better cease. It is trolling.

BluberryPoptart said:

I am not this thread's author. :shrug:

I will contain what I really want to say to U2girl :rant: since it is off topic to this thread :censored: which I am NOT the author of! I was the author of the late 'people are starting to hate Bono' thread if perhaps you were confused. If you think I am 'katiegoo' the newbie, if you think I made myself a new name to start this thread, you are mistaken, and that can be proven by any mod.

:confused:

I never said you are the author of this thread so don't blame me for that, nor does this have anything to do with that closed thread. I was just responding to the topics that have come up, that really don't have anything to do with the original question of this thread. There is really no need to debate any further as everyone who wanted to pretty much did it in the FYM thread.

If Bono started saying on a concert something I didn't like, like the examples you gave, sure I would be mad, but hey, he's the artist and he's free to say whatever he wants. I, on the other hand, am free to leave the show, maybe get a drink, talk with other visitors...

Angela Harlem said:
Interesting what the search on suspicious alters can reveal.

The most hilarious thing about it to me is, though I HAVE alters, (not in this thread) he (letitgo) blamed me for the wrong one!!! :laugh: :laugh: :lmao: And he was so sure of himself! And he himself (or herself, whoever it really is) was (most likely) using an alter to do it with! I laughed so damn hard I almost split my sides!

I closed this thread because I read the last 10 posts and have no idea anymore what it was initially about

:lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom