Bono and Edge should harmonize more!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
I was just listening to this version of All I Want is You from some time during the Elevation tour, and during the first two verses, Edge is disticntly harmonizes with Bono. It's simply gorgeous, and I wish they would do it much more often. :drool:

That's all for now.

I could be mistaken but... I think they harmonize quite a bit on that acoustic live version of Staring At The Sun from Popmart Mexico City!

Anyway, yeah... I guess they could so it more often like the Red Hot Chili Peppers. But it would probably bring their sound even closer to pop. Not that they're not a pop band already since 2000.

:hmm: I think you are right about Staring at the Sun.

Anyway, like I say quite frequently, I don't mind U2 being a pop band. I think they've always been a pop band to some extent, but there's certainly nothing 'wrong' with exploring that side of themselves more fully. And if vocal harmony sounds so damn good, than why the hell not?

Yes, I've said it a million times, seems like.
Why it's not more prevelant on the last two albums is a dissapointment and maybe a mystery.

The chorus of Walk On has excellent harmonies. They didn't use it much else where. Edge sounds better than ever and Bono is served better with Edge singing to give it the fuller effect. COBL among others has great live harmonies. Where the fuck are they on the album? A half dozen other songs are boosted by harmonies. It does make a big difference.

as for what Zoot said "bring their sound even closer to POP"
I don't get that. Harmonies are used in everything from bluegrass to Alice in Chains. Rick Rubin used it with the RHCP, 1-because Keidis needed the help 2-because it was one of the most underused aspects of a rock and roll band in the last 10?15? years. Maybe more, it's hard to think right now. 3. Because it soudns good, Frusciante and Flea sound great as an offset to AK.

If Bono and Edge sounded liek crap together, okay then I see it.
But they sound great, and I do mean great together. I think Edge has really hit his stride vocally.

The single most underutilized weapon that U2 has-Edge's voice.

U2DMfan said:

as for what Zoot said "bring their sound even closer to POP"
I don't get that. Harmonies are used in everything from bluegrass to Alice in Chains.

Actually, that's true! Alice In Chains is a great example! I take back what I said before.

I loved when Edge did the ending for "In a little while" on the Elevaton DVD

"slow down my beating heart,slowly love slowlyyyyy luuuuuuvvv"

that was the shiznit:drool:

Beating harmonies is when the two overlap their vocals, in my opinion. The live chrus of Ultraviolet is hard to beat.

Harmonize :hmm:... I love their performance of In God's Country and SATS from the Elevation tour.

the chili peppers are a great example...

the triple harmony on "CAN'T STOP" is brilliant

great U2 harmonizing moments...

COBL
New Years Day
Even Better Than The Real Thing

there is a difference between harmonizing and creating pop music...

although most great music has a definite pop sensiblity to it...

bands like Nirvana, Tool, Nine Inch Nails, even Marilyn Manson all use pop methods to create their songs, and have harmonized on their records several times.

Back
Top Bottom