Bono and Edge play suprise gig in London

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Peterrrrr said:

He sings the chours in falsetto on the Dublin version :|

its all falsetto on the album too! that's what makes the song.
i would love to see bono try that now!
the falsetto notes are capitalized! (STAY)

If I could STAY
Then the night would give you up
STAY
Then the day would keep its trust
STAY and the night would be enough

I also like the latest version of Stay better. I've never been a big fan of the falsetto. If Bono cannot pull that off anymore, I wouldn't mind too much. He shouldn't try to hard, it can only do more damage than good.

He has a different voice now. Vocally, he has gained a new strength and I'm more than happy hearing him sing that way.

last unicorn said:
I also like the latest version of Stay better. I've never been a big fan of the falsetto. If Bono cannot pull that off anymore, I wouldn't mind too much. He shouldn't try to hard, it can only do more damage than good.

He has a different voice now. Vocally, he has gained a new strength and I'm more than happy hearing him sing that way.

The falsetto would be no problem for him, the falsetto he sings on the Dublin version inst hard to sing at all. Bonos falsetto for the moment is better then we think. He hit a high falsetto on Vertigo tour, it was a E5. One of his highest ever. Also he sang the "child" on MW like he did on ZooTV on the 5th leg and WITS also includes a very good falsetto.

shaun vox said:

its all falsetto on the album too! that's what makes the song.
i would love to see bono try that now!
the falsetto notes are capitalized! (STAY)

If I could STAY
Then the night would give you up
STAY
Then the day would keep its trust
STAY and the night would be enough

ok, DUDE (this time capitals mean emphasis on that word), it really sounds like you need to get something off your chest :rolleyes:

Don't forget that they haven't performed this song in about 6 years, so don't freak out too much about the falsetto..I'm sure if Bono wanted to he could have. Honestly, it sounds just as good...

are you angry about the status of U2 or something, Bono in particular? Just wondering...

jeez, for a second I thought I was going to have to pull the alarm again, that was a scary moment...phew!

I do have a question, however...It is getting slightly frustrating having to listen to these performances in poor quality, is it realistic to see a pro shot or something of that nature? Maybe from U2.com or something... Anyone know anything further on that? Thanks.

Last edited:
Well it's different for acoustic and full band right? So I don't know...I guess this is the way he wants to play it acoustically...I noticed it, though..when I was watching it I thought it sounded just a little different in some parts..but I like what he did to it :applaud:

U2fp, do you have any video links to those interviews where Edge talks about that? I'd like to watch...thanks :)

It was a print interview where he mentioned that he wasn't happy with the album version guitar part.

Curiously the album version remained on the 90-00 cd released in 2002.

u2fp

Bono once said that being up on stage is his addiction. It is so obvious- he is so in his element on stage. He gives his all whether there is 250 or 125000 people.

O my goodness, Stay was absolutely BEAUTIFUL. :sad: :sad: :sad:

As for the whole staaaaaay/staeeeeey/whatEVER controversy, I think that it's understandable that certain ways of singing a particular song just bug people. It's just a personal preference. Plus, because Stay is undoubtadly on the favorite list of a lot of us (myself included), AND hasn't been played a lot recently (and thus played in different ways), it probably would be a little weird for some people to hear it changed. We're very used to hear him sing "staaaay" in falsetto with the emphasis on the "A" because for the most part we hear it as either the studio version or videos from ZooTV. Bono has altered at one time or another his way of singing pretty much every song they've ever written. Really, he never sings a song the same way twice, even on the same tour. Not to mention that, although I'm a big fan of the falsetto, the new version sounded MUCH stronger than a lot of his falsetto performances during ZooTV.

Conclusion: Stay= :drool: x10000000

It's the best since Zoo TV anyway (i.e.: Elevation Tour sucks), and also a stellar vocal performance from Bono.

Ok, where are AOH from this performence? Im realy curious about how he sang
"Salvation in the blues
You never looked like an angel" in the song.

1) I don't think they've ever pulled Stay off live.
2) I think it's better with Adam and Larry.
3) The top performance is Dublin on Zoo TV.
4) Bono's vocals are much better on this version than anything he sang on the Elevation Tour.
5) The Elevation Tour was by far the band's worst tour, and Stay was no different. (exception: Gone)

point 1 you're just plain wrong on, wrong I say! :wink:

2 and 3 I agree with, and thus why I'm basically saying that this a fun, and unique and special performance, but far from stellar.

As for points 4 and 5, meh, to each his own, you can't compare one song with all those different songs, cmon.

Maybe I'm just pissy sitting here waiting for my flight back to hell frozen over thrice. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom