Bono and Edge play suprise gig in London

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Holy shit. I leave my computer for two days and this is what happens?

Bloody hell, that was amazing.

Wonder why they did it - promoting JT, got bored, break from recording album?

major_panic said:
Holy shit. I leave my computer for two days and this is what happens?

Bloody hell, that was amazing.

haha yes this is exactly what happened to me...I didn't sign on for probably a day and all of a sudden this..hah :laugh:

dr. zooeuss said:

Thank you so much! I don't see the Union Chapel "Stay" represented on youtube (where lots of people will no doubt look) at all, so I just uploaded it.

Please let me know whether:

1) this is okay with you, and who I should give credit to on the youtube post.

2) If it is not okay with you, and I'll take it down.

thanks again!

:up:
It's fine with me! I just ripped it, perhaps give credit to creadman who uploaded it to AOL? He also has Desire and Wave of Sorrow. I suppose this is the source for the second set of videos?

Here's a little bit more intimate report of the gig that I just stumbled across. Enjoy.

Dana

---------------------------------------------------------

Surprise surprise: it's U2
Bono and the Edge play a surprise gig
November 24, 2007 6:43 PM

There's surprise special guests, and then there's surprise special guests...
Last night, Bono and the Edge turned up unannounced at the Union Chapel in north London to play four songs - kicking off the third of the 'Little Noise Sessions' in aid of Mencap. Ok, we'd been tipped the wink earlier in the day, but this was pretty extraordinary.

For starters, Bono wasn't wearing his shades.
Secondly, we were watching them from 20 feet away, rather than several furlongs.
Thirdly, they performed a new song live for the first time. Well, 'Wave of Sorrow' was originally meant for inclusion on The Joshua Tree, but the Edge never quite finished it... until recently.
Jo Whiley, who is curating this series of gigs, had introduced this 'new band with a lot of potential.' The guitarist, she'd said, 'is very nervous... If he makes a mistake forgive him, he's new. The singer is very shy.'
Then the two took the stage, and kicked in to 'Stay', with Bono checking the words from a lyric sheet on a music stand. Rousing versions of 'Desire' and 'Angel of Harlem' followed, before a lengthy introduction to the newie, as the Edge settled himself at the piano. I have to confess I couldn't quite make out what Bono was saying - something to do with the Queen of Sheba and Ethiopia; he did say that no-one should let on to Adam or Larry from the band that they were going to play it live for the first time now - but then realised something: 'Oh Adam's here! This is for you sir.' Again, it was hard to decipher the lyrics on that first listen - it's certainly a dense, ambitious song; and one that will repay the epic treatment whenever it is that U2 finally tour again.
The contrast between the big stadium spectacle that the band have so perfected and the intimacy and often hesitancy on display last night was fascinating.
I have to say: I'm not the biggest U2 fan in the world. But catching them at Twickenham Stadium last time they rolled through town, I was inevitably impressed by their mastery of that medium. How interesting to see the schtick (though that's too harsh a word) stripped back to bare beginnings. The exchange of looks throughout the performance; their hand-shake at the end - a courtesy and mark of mutual respect that said so much about their longevity.
Backstage afterwards, your correspondent saw Bono meet the evening's headliners, Biffy Clyro (who later thrilled with an acoustic version of Rihanna's 'Umbrella'), and also talked briefly with him and the Edge.
Jeepers - they'd really never rehearsed 'Wave of Sorrow' properly, they confessed. Bono spoke very fondly of Jo Whiley ('she called, and when she calls, you can't turn her down'); asked who'll be making waves next year ('Adele? She's the one everyone's talking about, isn't she'); and enquired after the Todd Haynes film I'm Not There, which he's not seen yet.
He has seen Bob Dylan's new ad for Cadillac, however, and he essayed a warm imitation of his friend's performance in the clip.
Really, they both seemed like total dudes. Should that have felt like a surprise as well?
Some video of their performance might turn up on the official U2 website in due course.
Meanwhile, it looks like there are still tickets left for the Little Noise Sessions taking place on Monday (with Kate Nash, Robyn and more) and Tuesday (with the Enemy and others); it's such a beautiful venue, and such a worthwhile cause, you'd be well advised to go.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

rihannsu said:
Backstage afterwards, your correspondent saw Bono meet the evening's headliners, Biffy Clyro (who later thrilled with an acoustic version of Rihanna's 'Umbrella'),

BIFFY CLYRO????

:lmao:

Sorry. It's not nice to laugh at someone's name. But BIFFY CLYRO????

And is it just me, or is "doing an acoustic version of Umbrella (ella ella ay ay)" the new "doing an acoustic version of Since You Been Gone or some Britney song"?

Thanks everyone for all the links, this is overwhelming. So glad Stay turned up, I hope AOH will turn up, too, so that we have the whole set.

Bono's voice is so great. I cannot believe people are arguing over which vowel he has to pronounce and which he shouldn't. The man has always had his own ways of pronouncing stuff, it's his individualism as a singer.

I found it hilarous that Bono has to check the lyrics for Stay. They haven't done this song for so long and obvioulsy didn't rehearse for this gig. Bono, come on, learn the lyrics, after all it's his favourite U2 song like he always says. I hope they bring it back for the next tour. :drool:

corianderstem said:

BIFFY CLYRO????

Sorry. It's not nice to laugh at someone's name. But BIFFY CLYRO????

And is it just me, or is "doing an acoustic version of Umbrella (ella ella ay ay)" the new "doing an acoustic version of Since You Been Gone or some Britney song"?

perfect post, I couldn't agree more on either count!

I almost don't know what I want to see more - the youtube vid for AOH or a clip of Umbrella ella ella ay ay acoustic....ok it's the former, but still...can you imagine??

It's interesting it's "Stayyyy" instead of "Staaaay" this time ;) He did the big "STAY" part in the end. :up:

But yeah, wow. It's still all about Desire but if he will sound like this on the album :hyper: I didn't think he could improve on his Vertigo tour voice but I think he did.

U2girl said:
It's interesting it's "Stayyyy" instead of "Staaaay" this time ;) He did the big "STAY" part in the end. :up:

But yeah, wow. It's still all about Desire but if he will sound like this on the album :hyper: I didn't think he could improve on his Vertigo tour voice but I think he did.

His tone sounds like it did on ZooTV, yet somehow stronger. Color me impressed.

LemonMelon said:
:drool: Bono's voice right now. Oh, man...

i know...wow..his voice at 2:49 on WOS is ridiculous...I just keep watching these 3 performances over and over again...We need # 4 to complete it!!!

i think Stay will probably show up next tour as a semi staple....

yeah I think Lemon is right on...unbelievable! I love the way he is accenting certain parts of the songs, not sure if this is what it is called technically in singing but he varies everything so perfectly.....especially wave of sorrows...it makes his singing even more colorful, and lets not forget the Edge! :drool:

U2girl said:
Yes, easily his best vocals since Zoo TV.

It is better, Desire blow every performence from ZooTV away. He hit higher notes, he hold them longer and the falsetto keep getting better and better. So the only thing that is better on ZooTV(still) is the falsetto. :) On this version of Stay he when he sings the verses he sounds more like Bono did on the studio version :)

Last edited:
ah Peterrrr you must be going CRAZY!!! hahaha :lol:

I hope they do more of this kind of stuff between now and the new tour, and full band would be insane! I can't wait for WOS full band live, that is going to be even better...

edit: yeah Lemon, totally!! haha

It would be nice to see Stay on the next tour, but how would they re-arrange it ? There's already the full band and the acoustic version...

That performance of Stay was incredible. They are getting better as they age!

U2girl said:
It would be nice to see Stay on the next tour, but how would they re-arrange it ? There's already the full band and the acoustic version...

What's wrong with keeping it like that?

Back
Top Bottom