Bono and Edge play suprise gig in London

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That was really cool. And not to give Peterrr a run for his money in the voice comments, but ...

I don't like the way Bono goes to the dipthong of the "ay" vowel on the chorus of "Stay." (i.e., holding the final "e" sound instead of the long "a" vowel), and also around the 2:50 mark in "Wave of Sorrow."

Bono. Dude. It's great you're hitting those high notes, and your voice sounds great, but really. If you're gonna hold those long vowel sounds, hold the RIGHT vowel sound. :wink:

/picky

they need to play this FULL BAND on the next tour.....i dont think they have ever quite captured this song the way it is meant to be heard....even the ZooTV full band seemed to lack something...im not quite sure what it was missing....the only way i could really describe it is: on the album version there seems to be a HUGE buildup coming into the chorus, like a distorted guitar sound leading into the chorus and it sounds amazing....i dont think they've ever pulled this song off :(

bonocomet said:

;) I'm trying...

hehe...you're awesome :wink:

Cori, I agree with you on the ol' dipthong thing. What's funny is that when you're belting, it's easier to hold an "ay" sound than an "ee" sound. A long "ee" comes in when you're running out of breath. Methinks the smoking's catching up with the man (whether he still does it or not).

Nonetheless, this is phenomenal. I love the upswing on "give you up." :drool:

Utoo said:
Cori, I agree with you on the ol' dipthong thing. What's funny is that when you're belting, it's easier to hold an "ay" sound than an "ee" sound. A long "ee" comes in when you're running out of breath. Methinks the smoking's catching up with the man (whether he still does it or not).

That's a good point; I hadn't considered that. My first thought was "Dude! Bono! Open your mouth wider - you can't make an "ay" sound when your mouth is making an "ee" shape!"

... maybe I've been spending too much time in choir rehearsals. :shifty:

... and maybe I say "dude" too much.

corianderstem said:

My first thought was "Dude! Bono! Open your mouth wider - you can't make an "ay" sound when your mouth is making an "ee" shape!"

:lol:

Dude.

zoocarolina said:
Any audio of Stay and AOH available for download yet? Saw the video of Stay, is it available for us to download?

i am currently working on the audio for stay. as for angel of harlem, show me a video, and i will show you audio :)

Last edited:
Utoo said:

hehe...you're awesome :wink:

Nonetheless, this is phenomenal. I love the upswing on "give you up." :drool:

lol, sorry I don't really believe what you're saying :no:, personally..I just think it's a SLIGHTLY (very slight) different take on that part of the song, and after 6 years of not performing it, it's to be expected that you aren't going to hear it the EXACT same way it has been performed in the past...I guarantee you after several performances of this song that part of the song will vary...How could it not? This isn't even abnormal...Bono has been doing stuff like this for the past 25 years.....

This performance is "haunting"...it's freaking brilliant, and I'm honestly in shock as to how superb his voice is :shock: ...I mean I knew the B-man could sing, but HOLY SHIT, this is entire show is exploding with awesomeness :yes: :happy:

now all we need is that AOH performance! :angel:

all i can say is...WE NEED A TOUR!!!!

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Ah darn I haven't been able to get a downloadable video. I've done it before, trouble is I forgot how I did it :reject: Sorry!
If it shows up on you tube however it won't be a problem.

Of course there're going to be variances in performances, but there's no need to pronounce it "steeeeeeeeeee" instead of "staaaaaaaaay."

That's not a variance - that's improper singing. :wink:

first of all, when you say the word "stay," the y at the end of that word forces you to make the sound "EE"...so i'd hardly say it has anything to do with his voice...

haha, corr, IMPROPER singing? :no:

haha...no....this is what he does, instead of staaaaaaaaaaaaaaaEEyyyy in the night, he sings "stAAAAeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey in the night".....it's quite simple..he pronounced the word "stay" differently...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

but i do think it would be a good idea to E mail Bono and tell him that he really needs to study the word "stay," and truly understand the correct pronunciation:wink:

on a side note: I would like to thank anyone involved with the retrieval of this video and I appreciate your effort derrick in trying to get us a download. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Oh for heaven's sake, you'd think I'd said Bono was a bad bad man with a bad bad voice.

Like I said in my original post, I realize I'm being nitpicky, but it's something that bugs me.

What he's doing is closing to the ee sound, which is the dipthong. When you're singing, the "proper" way to pronounce a word is to hold on the main vowel, not close to the dipthong.

The "A" is the main vowel sound in the word "stay." The "e" is the dipthong, and comes at the very end of the word. When you speak it yourself, do you say "stee"? No, you don't. You shouldn't sing it that way either.

And I know it's fighting a losing battle to be nitpicking rock singers about their pronunciation, but like I said, it just bugs me.

Sheesh.

corianderstem said:

That's a good point; I hadn't considered that. My first thought was "Dude! Bono! Open your mouth wider - you can't make an "ay" sound when your mouth is making an "ee" shape!"

... and maybe I say "dude" too much.

:lol:

Still prett-ay awesome!! Bono's voice has new-found resonance. :drool:

yes corianderstem, I just get annoyed when people make nitpicky comments like that, oh well :shrug:

anyway, thanks for the video download! :)

I definitely rank this performance high in the StAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy performances history book

:wink:

Last edited:
Eh, everyone has something they're annoyed by when it comes to music, even if it's their favorite band doing it. :)

misfit toys said:
Stay video: :drool:

http://www.s e n d space.com/file/8pnbna

Thank you so much! I don't see the Union Chapel "Stay" represented on youtube (where lots of people will no doubt look) at all, so I just uploaded it.

Please let me know whether:

1) this is okay with you, and who I should give credit to on the youtube post.

2) If it is not okay with you, and I'll take it down.

thanks again!

:up:

Back
Top Bottom