Bono and Edge play suprise gig in London

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The vocals he had on the last performences was the best since Lovetown, its easy. He sang desire stronger then any version from ZooTV, he sang the chours in Stay in a normal voice. It is much easier to hit the chours in that song in a falsetto. I have never heard him sing "let you go" in Desire so high, not even in the 80's. He realy belts it out-

In Desire he strenght is denintly back.
And if we look back on Vertigo tour(specially 5th leg), hitting high notes, holding notes for long time, singing techniques... Well then Bono's Vertigo and 2007 vocals is the best ever.

Here are some proofs

- Bono did hit the HIGH C in "Wide Awake on Bad" several times on Vertigo tour. Also he sang the "Wide Awake" without probelms three times in the song a couple of times on Vertigo tour.
On ZooTV I havent heard any performence on Bad him doing that, when he tried he strained his voice totaly.

- He also hit the HIGH C in "Don't you look back" on WGRYWH, something he never has done before, not even on ZooTV.

- He have never hold high notes for so long like he did on Vertigo tour("Touch" in BD 5 sec, "Sing" in SYCMIOYO 8 sec, "L'amoure" in Miss Sarajevo in 11 sec) and also" Wave" in WOS 10 seconds.
Long notes didnt exisist on ZooTV.

- He now holds the chours in Pride, something he never even did on JT/LT tour.

- One of his highest falsettos ever was done 2006-11-18 on Vertigo when he sang a snippet of Ac/Dc's highway to hell. It was an E5. And on MW he sang the word "Child" with the ZooTV falsetto sound. Togheter with WITS Bono showed that his falsetto is back.
Here is ZooTV better, but wait Bono still improves...

- He realy showed power when he sang the duet with Alicia Keys on the Oprah winfield show when he sang "Keep my AAAAAAAAAAAARMS down below". Now imagine him use that force in ISHFWILF.

- Miss Sarajevo was amazing

- Bono's voice on the pirate song "A dying sailor to his shipmates" is incredible, it realy makes you think of the song "Wild Irish Rose" he did back in 89. He realy has a very deep sound in his voice on that song.

- Another Opera moment was in the end of SYCMIOYO from 2006-12-04 - Japan

And for you all that havent donwload clip with highlights from Vertigo tour:

w w w . send space .com/file/h205od

Overall Bono's voice is one of his best ever, I think that his ZooTV voice is overrated, except for the falsettos.

Peterrrrr I was wondering if you wouldn't mind posting a list of which performances are in there. There are a few in there I have not heard in full yet. Thanks :) He does sound pretty amazing. :up:

yes peterr, 12-4-2006 japan SYCMIOYO, at the end...that is craazzzyy! glad to see you've included it in your list :wink:

if you haven't seen this or don't know what I'm talking about, you should really check it out...it comes out of nowhere, i actually laughed the first few times I heard it :lol:

Peterrrrr said:
The vocals he had on the last performences was the best since Lovetown, its easy. He sang desire stronger then any version from ZooTV, he sang the chours in Stay in a normal voice. It is much easier to hit the chours in that song in a falsetto. I have never heard him sing "let you go" in Desire so high, not even in the 80's. He realy belts it out-

In Desire he strenght is denintly back.
And if we look back on Vertigo tour(specially 5th leg), hitting high notes, holding notes for long time, singing techniques... Well then Bono's Vertigo and 2007 vocals is the best ever.

Here are some proofs

- Bono did hit the HIGH C in "Wide Awake on Bad" several times on Vertigo tour. Also he sang the "Wide Awake" without probelms three times in the song a couple of times on Vertigo tour.
On ZooTV I havent heard any performence on Bad him doing that, when he tried he strained his voice totaly.

- He also hit the HIGH C in "Don't you look back" on WGRYWH, something he never has done before, not even on ZooTV.

- He have never hold high notes for so long like he did on Vertigo tour("Touch" in BD 5 sec, "Sing" in SYCMIOYO 8 sec, "L'amoure" in Miss Sarajevo in 11 sec) and also" Wave" in WOS 10 seconds.
Long notes didnt exisist on ZooTV.

- He now holds the chours in Pride, something he never even did on JT/LT tour.

- One of his highest falsettos ever was done 2006-11-18 on Vertigo when he sang a snippet of Ac/Dc's highway to hell. It was an E5. And on MW he sang the word "Child" with the ZooTV falsetto sound. Togheter with WITS Bono showed that his falsetto is back.
Here is ZooTV better, but wait Bono still improves...

- He realy showed power when he sang the duet with Alicia Keys on the Oprah winfield show when he sang "Keep my AAAAAAAAAAAARMS down below". Now imagine him use that force in ISHFWILF.

- Miss Sarajevo was amazing

- Bono's voice on the pirate song "A dying sailor to his shipmates" is incredible, it realy makes you think of the song "Wild Irish Rose" he did back in 89. He realy has a very deep sound in his voice on that song.

- Another Opera moment was in the end of SYCMIOYO from 2006-12-04 - Japan

And for you all that havent donwload clip with highlights from Vertigo tour:

w w w . send space .com/file/h205od

Overall Bono's voice is one of his best ever, I think that his ZooTV voice is overrated, except for the falsettos.

:ohmy: and wow!

:D

Peterrrrr said:

what the?? you have GOT to be kdding me. There is no way in hell his voice was stronger on the let you go. Do links all you want, hands down ZOO and JT Desire are the best, no contest.

The best note thhe other night was the 'give you UP' in Stay. THAT was impressive, and strong.

If anything these recent songs should shut up the people who claim that there are no effects on his vocals at full U2 shows. If they can't hear the difference now, there's no hope for them. lol.

I don't know if his voice is better now or was better back then, I just find myself enjoying his recent voice more than anything else, that's all that matters to me. I'm really getting tired of all this comparing, statistics and stuff.

gabrielvox said:

what the?? you have GOT to be kdding me. There is no way in hell his voice was stronger on the let you go. Do links all you want, hands down ZOO and JT Desire are the best, no contest.

The best note thhe other night was the 'give you UP' in Stay. THAT was impressive, and strong.

If anything these recent songs should shut up the people who claim that there are no effects on his vocals at full U2 shows. If they can't hear the difference now, there's no hope for them. lol.

I wrote since LT and I mean that it was stronger then all the ZooTV performences. On the new performences he belts the "let you go" verse very strong. I havent heard him do it so strong on ZooTV.

last unicorn said:
I'm really getting tired of all this comparing, statistics and stuff.

me too actually. Its kind of funny given that I'm known to blindly worship everything the man does...I just don't think it's his best, that's all. I think it's moving, awesome that they did it, etc etc, but even Edge's guitar playing on Stay isn't 'stellar'. So what? I'm not saying my opinion even matters, lol!! :shrug:

:wink:

It's all to be expected. We hold these guys to some pretty high standards...

Let's just remember, this was just a brief church gig - and sounded pretty unplanned (didn't they say they hadn't really rehearsed WOS much before? THAT's impressive). Plus, not every performance from JT or Zoo or whatever was great, I'm sure. I'd also say some stuff they did on Elevation was probably better than some stuff they did on their "revered tours".

Elevation - think what you want. Bono was clearly having some voice issues, but look how he's sounding now!! We should all be celebrating that!

Let's stay in the now, and appreciate this simply for what it is, instead of analyzing to the point where we're not even enjoying the music anymore. Clearly, we're somewhat bored and very impatient for the next album/tour, but can we find a way to entertain ourselves that's not arguing? :shrug:

Rosebud said:
It's all to be expected. We hold these guys to some pretty high standards...

Let's just remember, this was just a brief church gig - and sounded pretty unplanned (didn't they say they hadn't really rehearsed WOS much before? THAT's impressive). Plus, not every performance from JT or Zoo or whatever was great, I'm sure. I'd also say some stuff they did on Elevation was probably better than some stuff they did on their "revered tours".

Elevation - think what you want. Bono was clearly having some voice issues, but look how he's sounding now!! We should all be celebrating that!

Let's stay in the now, and appreciate this simply for what it is, instead of analyzing to the point where we're not even enjoying the music anymore. Clearly, we're somewhat bored and very impatient for the next album/tour, but can we find a way to entertain ourselves that's not arguing? :shrug:

Pretty good post, but maybe we've got to admit that U2 fans seldom agree about anything!

It's good to disagree and 'argue' a point, but you're right: people need to enjoy the moment and appreciate it for what is is/was.

hey that looks like Edge's guitar? :hmm:

it was a good performance, but not worthy to compare IMO...

gabrielvox said:

Can you PLEASE explain this statement? I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean...pleeeease :huh:

shaun vox said:
check these guys out!
its from 2004 but dam u2 can learn a thing or two!
coverdale is older than bono and listen to his voice!
nothing wrong with comparing u2 to other rock bands!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJOLyO3FWQc

U2 don't have to "learn" from anyone, they are a band on their own, they have their style. U2 are U2, and other bands are other bands. It's what makes them different from other bands that makes them great. I enjoy other artists and bands as well, but I never think: U2 should learn something from them. That's ridiculous. I love U2 because they are who they are and they have come that far because of it. It's more like younger bands could learn something from them.

And Bono's voice is just fine. I couldn't be more excited about his voice at this stage of his carrreer. I don't think there are many singers whose voices had practically gone and then returned with such strength. This whole comparing is getting annoying.

U2girl said:
Worst tour ? Popmart, easily. Worst vocals and worst album. The only thing that might save its face is the very well constructed setlist.

You know you have a bad tour when it takes an entire first leg to get it right, and the show itself is a wannabe improvement of your best tour. Bono on helium FTW.

last unicorn said:

U2 don't have to "learn" from anyone, they are a band on their own, they have their style. U2 are U2, and other bands are other bands. It's what makes them different from other bands that makes them great. I enjoy other artists and bands as well, but I never think: U2 should learn something from them. That's ridiculous. I love U2 because they are who they are and they have come that far because of it. It's more like younger bands could learn something from them.

And Bono's voice is just fine. I couldn't be more excited about his voice at this stage of his carrreer. I don't think there are many singers whose voices had practically gone and then returned with such strength. This whole comparing is getting annoying.

here, here.. I completely agree with you.. Good points made! :up:

this comparing shite is getting ridiculous IMO... :huh:

U2.com has posted a video of Wave of Sorrow from Islington for everyone, and Desire for subscribers. The video is about the same quality as those previously put up but you get the full song plus the talking before and after. Just thought i'd let you all know...

blindinglights said:
U2.com has posted a video of Wave of Sorrow from Islington for everyone, and Desire for subscribers. The video is about the same quality as those previously put up but you get the full song plus the talking before and after. Just thought i'd let you all know...

Thanks for the info!

Was this what the "more soon" note was? Interesting, above the video it says

"The U2.Com handicam was rolling at the weekend when Edge and Bono made a surprise appearance for the Mencap benefit show at London's Union Chapel. "

so does this mean that they have the entire show? if so, that would be awesome, at least we would know that the video of AOH actually exists...hmm..:hmm:

Thanks Blindinglights!

There's a bit of intro dialogue before and after Wave of Sorrow in this clip that is not in the others, or mentioned in the article. Mainly it's Bono telling the story of the song, and includes him saying "don't tell Adam and Larry we've done this" then realizing Adam is there in the audience, which is kind of funny..

Also, in watching that version of Desire on U2.com I noticed two things:

1) Desire had snippets of TWO INXS songs, Need You Tonight in the middle, and Never Tear Us Apart, closer to the end.

2) At the end of the clip you can hear Edge playing the opening chords of Angel of Harlem.. so it likely does exist, but no one seems to be sharing. :madspit: :eyebrow:

well then at least we know footage exists! that's good i guess...we'll just be forced to wait... :(

Back
Top Bottom