Bono and Edge play suprise gig in London

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sue4u2 said:
Regardless of the:
Staaay
Stayyy
STAY

:lol:

That made me think of "Say Say Say," and now THAT'S stuck in my head. Gee, thanks! :grumpy:

Say say say!
What you want, but don't leave me with no direction!

All alone!
I sit home by the phone!
Waitin' for you!
Baby! (Baby!)

Standin' here
Baptized in all my tears
Baby through the years
You know I'm cryin'!
Ooh! Hoo! Hoo! Hoo!

:wink:

phillyfan26 said:

3) The top performance is Dublin on Zoo TV.
4) Bono's vocals are much better on this version than anything he sang on the Elevation Tour.

Re:3. I don't see why people see the Dubin version as the best. The ZooTV versions where little boring.

Re:4. Yes, he sang it better now then on the Elevation and ZooTV tour.

gabrielvox said:

see "aw sister, I can't let you go" in Desire?

:shrug:

Desire is the reason why I want to hear AOH also. :)

Peterrrrr said:
Re:3. I don't see why people see the Dubin version as the best. The ZooTV versions where little boring.

Re:4. Yes, he sang it better now then on the Elevation and ZooTV tour.

Well, it's better than Sydney because Bono's playing acoustic rather than that electric. And all Zoo TV, boring or not, is still better than Elevation. Any Zoo TV performance tops Elevation.

Gabriel, I couldn't disagree more with you're assessment of this new performance of Stay...

Personally, I think Bono has more power behind his voice in this version than zooTV versions, but I do prefer the full band versions of Stay...having said all that, this 2007 performance is just as brilliant as any zootv performance, simple as that...

2 and 3 I agree with, and thus why I'm basically saying that this a fun, and unique and special performance, but far from stellar.

:shame: :shame:

^ hmm...I can't understand that in the slightest....in what possible way could this performance be classified as a "far from stellar" performance? This is one of the best ever performances of this song, and in front of 250 people no less!! I think you're having trouble leaving the sides of some of those ZooTV performances...however, you must realize the greatness before you!

:banghead:

I'll always love the ZooTV version - the only one I can pull out of my brain at any given moment is the 8/28/93 Dublin version.

I just think the acoustic performance suits the song well, and Bono does a great job on the vocals - I prefer the full-throated "stay" over the falsetto. I like the extra oomph it gets.

corianderstem said:

That made me think of "Say Say Say," and now THAT'S stuck in my head. Gee, thanks! :grumpy:

Say say say!

All alone!
I sit home by the phone!
Waitin' for you!
Baby! (Baby!)

Standin' here
Baptized in all my tears
Baby through the years
You know I'm cryin'!
Ooh! Hoo! Hoo! Hoo!

It could be worse. It could be "The Girl is Mine".

"Say, Say, Say" is on my iPod. :shifty:

corianderstem said:

Say say say!

All alone!
I sit home by the phone!
Waitin' for you!
Baby! (Baby!)

Standin' here
Baptized in all my tears
Baby through the years
You know I'm cryin'!
Ooh! Hoo! Hoo! Hoo!

Sometimes I really regret opening certain threads. :cry:

phillyfan26 said:
1) I don't think they've ever pulled Stay off live.
2) I think it's better with Adam and Larry.
3) The top performance is Dublin on Zoo TV.
4) Bono's vocals are much better on this version than anything he sang on the Elevation Tour.
5) The Elevation Tour was by far the band's worst tour, and Stay was no different. (exception: Gone)

Agree with all except #5. No way Elevation was their worst tour.

Yes, but I'm working backward through the alphabet with my CDs, and I'm only on T. It'll be a while before I'm at McCartney, so until then, I have to keep humming the songs.

I'm so sorry. :wink:

redhill said:

It's not even close. It's BY FAR their worst tour. Never have they done anything where they were consistently bad for two of the three legs. The only worthwhile leg of Elevation was the third one, purely because of the post-9/11 emotion.

Every other tour beats it by a mile.

phillyfan26 said:
It's not even close. It's BY FAR their worst tour. Never have they done anything where they were consistently bad for two of the three legs. The only worthwhile leg of Elevation was the third one, purely because of the post-9/11 emotion.

Every other tour beats it by a mile.

You know, I normally agree with your slams of the Elevation Tour, but here I differ. I consider the third leg the worst by a mile. At least the first had a few decent songs performed regularly, e.g. Gone and The Fly, and the setlists hadn't reached their shortest. I can't believe that some third leg Elevation shows got only 19 songs, one of which was a cover. From a band with U2's vast catalogue, that is inexcusable.

haha, i found that a few weeks ago. impressive singer isn't she? I'd never really seen the song sung from the feminine "perspective" before, she does it really well, imo, makes it something new and her own.

>>> >>> >>>

So everyone, is there still no news on Angel of Harlem from the Union Chapel?

wow, I just realized this thread has hit 20 pages...over 4 songs...when the album/tour comes, this place is going to explode...

redhill said:

I second the notion. Elevation WAS the worst tour. Worst vocals, shortest setlists, and by the way - worst album.

The only times I've actually been at a U2 show and walked away disapointed....

Axver said:
You know, I normally agree with your slams of the Elevation Tour, but here I differ. I consider the third leg the worst by a mile. At least the first had a few decent songs performed regularly, e.g. Gone and The Fly, and the setlists hadn't reached their shortest. I can't believe that some third leg Elevation shows got only 19 songs, one of which was a cover. From a band with U2's vast catalogue, that is inexcusable.

Well, the setlist sucked in general for the whole tour. They were short, plus they had an acoustic set in there.

I was talking strictly about performances. The only time they were really any good, in my opinion, was with the songs during the third leg, and that was only on a limited number of songs (i.e.: Walk On, Kite).

The first two legs had Gone and The Fly, though, true.

It's sort of like picking your style of mediocrity.

phillyfan26 said:
Well, the setlist sucked in general for the whole tour. They were short, plus they had an acoustic set in there.

I was talking strictly about performances. The only time they were really any good, in my opinion, was with the songs during the third leg, and that was only on a limited number of songs (i.e.: Walk On, Kite).

The first two legs had Gone and The Fly, though, true.

It's sort of like picking your style of mediocrity.

Strictly talking performances, I think the first leg was actually the best. The run from the four Chicago shows through to the four Boston shows had some pretty solid performances of some songs. I can barely pick any notably worthwhile performances from the third leg. The song selection was horrifically mundane outside of Out Of Control (and a handful of other occasional rarities, e.g. Slow Dancing on 31 October 2001) and the songs themselves were performed at a very, very mundane level. It's the only time I'd call New Year's Day live boring.

You're quite right, though, it's just picking your style of mediocrity. In the history of U2's live tours, Elevation strikes me as completely out of place.

dr. zooeuss said:
haha, i found that a few weeks ago. impressive singer isn't she? I'd never really seen the song sung from the feminine "perspective" before, she does it really well, imo, makes it something new and her own.

>>> >>> >>>

So everyone, is there still no news on Angel of Harlem from the Union Chapel?

original topic, anyone?

hmm, i'm beginning to doubt a video exists of AOH unfortunately...unless U2.com did something maybe... :(

DreamOutLoud13 said:
You should've seen this place when Window in the Skies leaked on the radio :wink:

That thread was so awesome - and hilarious!

A bazillion pages, all flying by at the speed of sound, consisting of posts like

"Did you hear it?"
"They didn't play it yet!"
"OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG"
"Who has the link? I NEED A LINK!!!!"

It was great.

hmm, possible one doesn't exist, though there seem to have been at least three active cameras there... you'd think there's at least part of it out there somewhere.

yes, i'm still wondering what the "more soon" on u2.com meant....

I listened to the set a couple of times last night, and I'm really impressed by Bono's vocals, really. His voice is so smooth and warm, he sounds the best he's sounded in many years. Whatever he has done to have that voice, it's great and I pray he can keep that for the recording of the next album and the next tour. He's a passionate, expressive singer, I really really love those latest performances and I wish they would do more of that stuff. I don't care about the constant comparisons, about if there ever was a better live version of Stay and so on, I simply want to enjoy this latest stuff, because that's where U2 are NOW and if this is what we can expect for the next album and tour, I'd say it's very promising.

I agree with you last unicorn, though I must say I'm really enjoying (and looking forward to) the old stuff remastered and revisited. It's all good.

Worst tour ? Popmart, easily. Worst vocals and worst album. The only thing that might save its face is the very well constructed setlist.

Back
Top Bottom